jenks

thread death
On my list is:

The third volume of the Picasso Biography by John Richardson
The Sinclair edited book London:City of Disappearences
Pound's Cantos
The Rouleur annual

I'm sure there are more but it'll do to get the ball rolling

btw i doubt my family will take most of the hints I've been dropping and I'll end up with some jokey 'How to be modern old fart' kid of thing (straight down Mencap when it re-opens).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I want The Manuscript Found In Saragossa by Jan Potocki - I would just buy it myself but I've bought so many books recently that I feel guilty. I did hint quite heavily to my girlfriend but I don't think she will remember.
Anyone read it? Any good?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saragossa_Manuscript

Looks as though the film is being re-issued now so I hope to read the book before I watch the film.

crackerjack

The Sinclair edited book London:City of Disappearences

That's Iain, right? Recently started the M25 book, though feeling it more be more of a dipper than a straight read as I'm finding it good, but slightly over-written - bit like old Martin Amis stuff. I've just started Hand Of God by Jimmy Burns, by all accounts the best book about the greatest ever footballer.

Thinking of some history books for xmas:
Tony Judt - History of Europe
and I really want a good readable (ie one aimed at the interested reader, not the student) history of France. Saw Revolutionary France 1770-1880 by Francois Furet aand thought that might do the job. Anyone read it, or want to recommend another?

jenks

thread death
I want The Manuscript Found In Saragossa by Jan Potocki - I would just buy it myself but I've bought so many books recently that I feel guilty. I did hint quite heavily to my girlfriend but I don't think she will remember.
Anyone read it? Any good?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saragossa_Manuscript

Looks as though the film is being re-issued now so I hope to read the book before I watch the film.

It's on my must read pile but somehow every time i see it in a shop soemthing else brighter/shinier/more modern catches the eye. Maybe 2008 will be the year then.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's on my must read pile but somehow every time i see it in a shop soemthing else brighter/shinier/more modern catches the eye. Maybe 2008 will be the year then."
I think that the problem with a must read pile is that the more things you put on it the less vital each one becomes.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
and I really want a good readable (ie one aimed at the interested reader, not the student) history of France. Saw Revolutionary France 1770-1880 by Francois Furet aand thought that might do the job. Anyone read it, or want to recommend another?
'The Discovery Of France' (don't recall the author). massive NicePrice'd hardcover tome- Recent edition w/nicely accessible account of the country covering its history all the way back from the paleolithic(!) age and -> today...

jenks

thread death
Is this the Graham Robb book? He's pretty readable whatever the subject - did a great job on Blazac as I seem to recall. Wouldn't mind that for Christamas myself.

Of course Schama's Citizens is an excellent read but only really covers the revolutionary years.

Or there's Flaubert's Sentimental Eduaction which nails the Louis Phillipe/ Louis Napoleon years well. Not really what you asked for, i know:slanted: