Madrid

will be going as part of a field trip in about 2 weeks. the programme for the trip is pretty lax so i guess i'll have quite a bit of time to see some stuff, thing is i know next to nothing about the city. before trawling the internet i thought i'd ask for a heads up here, anyone know anything unmissable in madrid?

so far all i know is they've got a metro cleaners strike (negrophonic), and that im going to look at the vallacas housing project,

ive heard people say madrid is a nicer city than barcelona, but then ive heard the opposite aswell.

thoughts?

Pestario

tell your friends
Spent a weekend there once in the middle of summer and mostly I just remember the heat, argh! But apart from that the main attraction was the city itself: the architecture, urban environment etc. There are some beautiful streets, palaces and parks so just wander around and soak it in. I know it's a bit touristy but those open air bus things give you a good summary of the city without having to clock up some serious miles walking.

It also helps if you know at least some Spanish. For a capital city, not many people speak English.