Hercules and Love Affair

turtles

in the sea
Had the pleasure of seeing Andy Butler DJ on Saturday night and let me tell you it was not a melancholy affair by any means. He played mostly fucking great upbeat disco, the dance floor was packed, good times were had. It was a very trendy crowd, but they all seemed up for it and having a great time dancing. It was easily the most fun I've had in a club in a loooooong time. Everyone had smiles on thier faces (well I was also pretty drunk but...)

So yeah, uh, I love this album. I could maybe skip a few of the slower songs towards the end, but generally speaking it's just fantastic dance music. Some of it's melancholic yeah, but are you going to tell me melancholic-yet-uplifting dance music isn't one of the finer things in life? Also something like "Hercules Theme" is pretty cheese-ball disco, those horns and strings are stone cold disco. FACT!

sing_minimal

well that is certanly very good to hear. was he playing any tunes of the album?

i like 3 songs from the album quite a bit, but i just don't see it work on a dancefloor. that's one of the problems i have with it actually. is it supposed to be dancefloor? is it supposed to be after/pre party music? background music? the songs are kind of too long and not much happens throughout so music gets a bit dull which is a shame, because it would work much better with a bit more variety. also, i like antony a lot, but in his context it's a completly different story. dunno, i just want uplifting, fun, even silly stuff when im in a club and want to dance. when i listen to this instead of dancing my heart would ache most likely.

MankyFiver

regarding the melancholy you hear could it not be that when we listen (or at least myself) back at disco tracks you hear an era high on itself that ultimately falls, specifically talking about hiv and aids and its devastating effect on those who are making this wonderful ecstatic music, so remaking, reimagining that music has to take that into effect

tracks like patrick juvets 'i love america' (ok its not the hippest) has a weird melancholia to it as you realise he is singing about a period of gay life just before its wiped out, same again with amadeo's 'memories' you hear him talking about an idyll, again before its wiped out

so disco aint just happy, its strong!

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Loads of melancholic disco. Machine 'There But For The Grace Of God Go I', Dee D Jackson 'Automatic Lover', Odyssey 'Native New Yorker'. Melancholy is almost the default disco emotion.

It is a thin line between melancholy and depressing though, I agree.