Politician with some principles?

IdleRich

IdleRich
That doesn't really make for much of a contest though does it?

"If I stood, it would not be against Davis as such because I have no wish to be elected to Parliament and get stuck in that irrelevant web of deceit and corruption. I couldn’t take my seat anyway because I would never go through the pathetic ritual of pledging my ‘allegiance’ to the Queen because she is a giant lizard.
I would be supporting the stand of Davis against the Orwellian State and I would want him to win the seat and let him be a voice against the Big Brother society in Parliament."

IdleRich

IdleRich
My last comment should've been written with a wink, but it seemed unnecessary - it was about Icke, after all.
I knew that, I was just pointing out that over and above it being Icke he wants to lose as well and says that even if he does win he won't take his place in parliament.

crackerjack

i once bought some coke off a Scotsman who had a copy of Icke's book lying around - i saw it and laughed. he glared at me (he was a bit tasty, into martial arts) and said "it's all true, you should read it". i'd like to say that was the last time i ever touched the drug, but...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Fuck that. It'd only be a matter of time before the information was inevitable flogged off to health insurance companies so they can refuse insurance to, or impose huge premiums on, people with this or that gene, or employers weeding out people with undesirable 'predispositions'.

Also, as a commentator on the piece points out, DNA evidence does not, by itself, prove that a rape took place: it proves two people had sex.

crackerjack

Fuck that. It'd only be a matter of time before the information was inevitable flogged off to health insurance companies so they can refuse insurance to, or impose huge premiums on, people with this or that gene, or employers weeding out people with undesirable 'predispositions'.

That's wildly improbable.

Also, as a commentator on the piece points out, DNA evidence does not, by itself, prove that a rape took place: it proves two people had sex

Of course, but it does prove the other party was there.

vimothy

yurp
Fuck that.

What -- probably not a politician with principles and somehow Davis is?

Point is, IMHO, that its not as clear and easy as some make it out. Yes, there is a need for DNA databases, because the right to liberty is also a right to not be the victim of violence. Is it sufficient? I don't know, but I'm certainly not so dismissive.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It's precisely the kind of infantilising authoritarian idea of a relationship between people and state and justice that causes society to be so fucked up that you have that level of sexual violence in the first place. So go on putting faith in the inherent goodness and trustworthiness of unelected arbiters of justice such as the police while at the same time treating the population as preemptive criminals to be catalogued, coded and investigated on the whim of whichever power mad control freak little shit happens to be in a position to do so.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm, I dunno, I probably overreacted. But there's a good argument against this kind of database, as there is against ID cards, in that whatever good intentions this government may have for the information is no guarantee that future governments will necessarily use them in the same way.

That's without touching on the issue of this country's woeful record on information security, or indeed this, which I find rather disturbing.

Last edited:

crackerjack

It's precisely the kind of infantilising authoritarian idea of a relationship between people and state and justice that causes society to be so fucked up that you have that level of sexual violence in the first place.

Do you have anything other than a hunch to support this? I mean, it's an entertaining argument but an utterly absurd one.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It's not the only cause. I have a pretty visceral reaction to the idea of people wanting to deliberately bring things like that upon themselves. There are countless arguments against it, but it's almost ludicrous that we have to appeal to notions that this government might have 'good intentions' but...

Jill Saward saying that sexual violence is at 'epidemic levels' partly because it is 'easy to get away with' is pretty offensive and stupid.

Last edited: