Bow-catting

john eden

male pale and stale
That's not a very helpful answer tho, eh?

The consensus on The Sopranos was "well if he eats that, he will eat anything" meaning cock.

I think, underneath it all (ho ho) it is fear of being seen as submissive.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The consensus on The Sopranos was "well if he eats that, he will eat anything" meaning cock.

Yeah, I remember this. The logic struck me as a bit spurious - somewhat reminiscent of Milhouse's famous "Eur, Bart kissed a girl? That is so gay!".

viktorvaughn

Yeah I guess it’s also somehow 'unmanly' to voluntarily put yourself in a position of not seeking your own climax but attempting to provide it for another?

Cos an action like that represents love (because you get pleasure from a loved one getting pleasure) whereas hardmen are more concerned with lust – the selfish desire to attain ones own pleasure.

Plus it's hypocritically sexist cos it reviles the female body (I ain't a bow-cat / I don't like the smell etc.) while of course expecting the lady in question to deliver lots of top-notch fellatio on tap.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So, bow-catting refers to oral sex on a woman? And the "problem" is people of the "if it aint cooked I aint eating it" opinion? What makes you say that there is such a problem?

john eden

male pale and stale
Yes I think the revulsion is a key aspect.

I think there is something underneath all this though - there are a bunch of implied references in all the hard man schtick to not submitting "nah bow" which has resonances with not being a slave perhaps.

That opens the door for all the post-lacanian footnote fetishists on here but I do think it is interesting and significant that this particular kind of machismo is prevalent in yer post colonial societies and those descended from them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Plus it's hypocritically sexist cos it reviles the female body (I ain't a bow-cat / I don't like the smell etc.)

A good example of how attempts to come across as super-hard and masculine usually just make you look really gay instead...

tom pr

A good example of how attempts to come across as super-hard and masculine usually just make you look really gay instead...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gabriel

The Heatwave
i think (at least in jamaica/dancehall) it's more complicated than being a sexist/machismo thing though. bow means female-male oral sex as well as male-female, two off the top of the head (unintended pun!) examples being shabba's dem bow ("lipstick on your hood head, that mean seh yuh bow") or mr vegas's heads high.

also, i don't think it's at all about not pleasing women (the love/lust dichotomy presented earlier) - just a choice about which is the best way to please women.

D

droid

Religious obsessions with 'contamination' come into it as well. Thats also why rastas send women into segregation at that time of the month.

john eden

male pale and stale
shabba's dem bow ("lipstick on your hood head, that mean seh yuh bow") or mr vegas's heads high.

Heads High is about Vegas' young niece tho - more about kids standing up for what is right and not giving in to peer pressure....

viktorvaughn

So, bow-catting refers to oral sex on a woman? And the "problem" is people of the "if it aint cooked I aint eating it" opinion? What makes you say that there is such a problem?

I remember reading a girlie magazine when I was really young and Marky Mark (as he was then) saying he didn't 'go down' on women and I didn't know what it meant! And the Sopranos as John mentioned. And there are tons of references to it in Grime music.

So it's obvious some men (not me) have a problem with it - I was interested in kicking off some chat on it.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think this is related to the whole raas/pussy/bloodclart thing as well. Vagina as source of something potentially polluting.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"So it's obvious some men (not me) have a problem with it - I was interested in kicking off some chat on it."
Sure, yeah, just wondered if it was anything specific that I had missed.

mms

sometimes
Religious obsessions with 'contamination' come into it as well. Thats also why rastas send women into segregation at that time of the month.

well those are orthodox Jewish values too.

The other argument against it is some vague argument about cleanliness, which of course could be used the other way round - but the bible doesn't forbid oral sex either.

gabriel

The Heatwave
Heads High is about Vegas' young niece tho - more about kids standing up for what is right and not giving in to peer pressure....

interesting, didn't know it was that specific. but anyway i was just pointing out that 'bow' doesn't only mean men going down on women.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
When n-type used to go on about bow cat I thought he was just talking about a cat with a deep voice.

The Scientologists seem to have bought ALOT of the advertising space on Urban Dictionary right now.