Getting grant money

So i've just finished my undergrad in architecture and i want to work for a company based in vienna. They like my work etc... and want to employ me but, they cant afford to pay me more than 300euros a month. They suggest signing on to Leonardo European Work placement scheme or something similar but, Leonardo doesnt support individuals, money is allocated through an organisation, and you dont get the opportunity to pick where you want to work.

Has anyone got any knowledge of grants/schemes/scholarships for graduates looking to work in Europe. Someone suggested getting a language scholarship and living off that. Also, does anyone know how long roughly it takes to process these sort of things, like when you apply does it take a year or so to get funding? i've already delayed my plans by a year to get funding, but dont fancy delaying much more than that.

Any lucky recipients of grant money on dissensus? i once knew a guy who was living off art council grants for a few years, but the process was so complicated im not sure it was worth it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Congrats on finishing rocky! Funny enough I just went for a meeting this week about grants but I'm kinda arts based so its different I think. It's a good enough gig if you can get them, but there are compromises involved.
I'm meeting with an architect firm next week about something else so I'll ask them if they know anything about grants in that sort of area, I'll let you know Monday what I found out.

my experience of this is solely in the arts field- but any grant you'll almost certainly have to be looking a year ahead. they're usually doled out in "seasons" a couple of times a year. also nearly everyone gets their first application turned down, but that may only apply to arts, as may all of this...

it's important to get whoever deals with the grants onside. phone them up, arrange meetings and get them to help you position your bid. be polite etc and they will help. inside help is invaluable as there are various "boxes that have to be ticked", also they might argue your case for you when decisions have to be made if there's a level of personal relationship there. remember all kinds of people get funded for all kinds of crap so this is within yr grasp...

in terms of the compromises that have to be made, once you've got the money you only have to compromise if you want funding again. a local literature officer told me an anecdote about having a go at attila the stockbroker in a pub after overhearing him bragging about how he'd spunked his grant on a van. you have to account for yourself at the end but all sorts of blagging goes on

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The architects I met with weren't much help I'm afraid mate, sorry! I tried! Have you tried asking anyone at the AA?