alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
To piss both parties off...
'read and snore:' ? how very respectful...
But repeatedly stating ones' personal high opinion about a friend/musician-you-adore/musician-you-manage while collectively slagging off the efforts of heaps of other musicians/kids-in-their-bedrooms-actually-doing-something, and that infront of music-heads/musicians/ex-kids-in-their-bedrooms-actually-doing-something, who all have a brain & usually a pair of ears too, doesn't show a lot of respect either & was bound to provoke a bite...

As I doubt any of us is here for the drama/internet-beef though (unless it's of epic proportions)...
'Less chit chat, more slipmat!' please.

So thanks for the RP Boo track! There's far too few about of him...
For the record, I've been trying to find & buy a RP Boo tune for what I think is over a year/close to 2 now... so I ended up assuming the man doesn't want to be found & the tracks are just meant for local twerkcircles & friends.
In the meantime I'll hope for people posting tracks that they feel here (the explanation from Dave Q & nnazem that most of the imeem & youtube stuff is around 2 years old shed a bit of light as to why it's so hard to find anything in that vain... so thanks for that), wait what ziq puts on the announced releases and see what nnazem comes up with for his online shop to let the actual music do the talking...
Exciting times for juke & footwork in any case I'd say.
c.

soul_pill

May I also pipe in here and say that RP Boo track is really nice - thanks for that :)

As regards future releases, I hope to announce some more soon, but rest assured I am following various threads and have chatted with many artists who produce (or did once produce!) Juke and Footwork such as Traxman, DJ Roc, DJ Diamond, Tha Pope and DJ Trouble. As well as telling me what's what in Chicago (Rashad often crops up in conversations as the biggest DJ right now), they seem intrigued and open to how we perceive the music in the UK.

nnazem

of course it is, and of course music isn't entirely subjective, although at the end of the day, people wil make their mind up about what they like esp when they are piecing together something in the dark, i welcome their comments here but im really sick and frustrated with the name calling and the perspective that only a small number of artists that they seem to be friends with or semi professionally involved in are the real footwork or whatever it is, and everyone else is nothing... and no other perspectives matter, cos they're wrong....sorry if thats not entirely the case with dave quam and i have said that, before he started acting like he worked for fox news, but there is a definite sense of siege mentality and pettiness here, and the thing is, the good stuff will get the recognition it deserves, if the whole thing doesn't implode with the kinda chat seen here.
I know quam and naseem are trying to represent footwork but im also wondering what the artists perspective on their scene is too, whether they back up their views, as although they don't recognise it, they're skewering the perspective too.

just to let you know, i'm not a pr agent, i'm not a manager. i'm a dude who works 2 jobs, is getting an mba, and is creating a label on the side because the scene out here is bulshit, and it was damn near close to necessary to have something organized here for local talent to release their work on. I'm not planning on making millions off this shit because I don't think there's a million dollars in this industry. More importantly, I'm not posting on a dissensus forum because I think this is where I will change the UK's perception on footworking, because this is just a damn online forum, and I thought people who were interested in the scene would like a lil more insight into everything.

This shit has become completely unproductive, and I suggest you MMS quit fuckin tryin to discredit me on a fuckin forum, as if a forum means anything. I know it means a lot to someone like you who makes close to 1000 posts a year, but frankly, this is just some bulshit at this point in time.

For those that do not know, Chicago ain't the most friendly town. Even with the list I usually bring up, aka "my friends", do you realize that there's petty beef and rivalry between some of these people? Do you really think that I may even have some problems with some of these people over dumb actions? While some of these people have problems with each other, including myself, do you think I try to tell these people they need to start working together? Just because I write on this forum shitting on DJ Yung Tellem doesn't mean I don't know a lot of the younger cats, and have not tried contacting some of them to see if I could hook them up with one of these "older" dudes (who are hitting the old age of 27) to help them learn how to produce.

And I want to clarify who the hell Dave is, and who I am. We're not lifelong friends, we only met up with each other like 2 months ago through a wild series of networking. Basically, he wanted to get more in depth with the footwork scene, and I hooked him up, and I'm still trying to hook him up with as many people as I can. He had the same inspiration for footwork music that I do, and thats where we meet at. I viewed him as a "friend" like I do with most people in the scene.

Shit, I'd write more, but I actually have crap to do. I dont even think anyone cares about any of this at this point in time.

nnazem

and this is dope as fuckkkkkk

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hopper

yeah awesome video. one of the best I've seen for dancing - who did the tune with the strings sample?

Also, what happened to that Rashad release with the acid line?

massrock

nnazem, this is a good forum to get information out to some of the right places, you might be surprised. or maybe you realise that anyway.

mms

sometimes
nnazem, i'm not trying to discredit you, you obv know what you're on about and live it, but i'm just questioning what you say as representative of what the people who make the music think in general, and trying to get past this negativity to the people you personally dont like, can't you just accept that others will like them and thats not 'nothing'....and you have a kind of tunnel vision about it that is pretty brickheaded to be frank and its offputting to see, esp that RP Boo interview is so positive, the nate interview in the wire was both positive and respectful of the elders.
I can see from over here that on the whole what is happening is good and healthy, ie light being brung to footwork is good for it, and there aren't any diplo like characters out there right now.. and you cant be king kanutish about it.....everything seems to be done with a great deal of good will and respect, opportunities are there, you've clearly got good music coming out yr ears too and hopefully you'll be great.

You're damn right that footwork needs a platform or a way for people who make it to feel they can really push the music, and your website label that you are promoting sounds like a good idea, but its also good for the scene as a whole that the brits have shone a light on the scene, either thru hybridisation - ie they've not tried to straight up bite the style but made their own style with it's influence, and made it very clear what the source of the influence is..also bok bok etc inviting rashad over to play, thats a pretty darn respectable thing...
or the nate comp etc.... just because its older tracks and a side of footwork you are not into, doesn't mean that thats not going to bring attention to the scene as a whole- which will allow people to make up their own minds.... and as i've always said here, things are moving fast, thats a good thing, the music is great too. Ive tried to explain how we over here receive the music too and have historically received it, and it's never going to be in the same fashion you do, also through the lens of the internet, things will never be seen it the same way you see them, thats just a fact we all have to live with.
and yeah i write on here cos i love music, it's not a posting competition.

Last edited:

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
to be honest, this forum is probably why dj nates got a record coming out in the uk, and probably had a lot to do with footcrab coming about (i know headhunter was pretty active on this thread), and is the reason why people in the uk care about juke/footworking at all. you can slag it off all you want, but while your posting ON it it seems a bit hypocritical.

and lets try being nice to each other, hey? i mean we're all into the same small geographically specific subgenre of house after all ;)

Damien

Nnazem, that video is awesome, tune at 3.19 sounds sick

I REALLY want a copy of that acid type track by Rashad too, again one of the best things I've heard in so long, wouldn't even mind a track id

Last edited:

stephenk

Yeah, there's 2 big footwork events that happen in Chicago, and they both happen on sundays.

One is Warzone, aka the wala cam parties. These start during the evening hours on the west side.

The other is Battlegroundz, which is usually from 9pm - 2am.

PM me so I know when you get in town so I can show you around, and introduce you to some people.

cool, i'll let you know.

Ory

warp drive
nnazem, this is a good forum to get information out to some of the right places, you might be surprised. or maybe you realise that anyway.

yeah i was gonna say. this forum has one of the highest concentrations of journalists, label owners, bloggers, producers, promoters etc on the internet. people with some form of "elevated voice".

so if this isn't the place to speak up, i don't know what is.

nnazem

yeah i was gonna say. this forum has one of the highest concentrations of journalists, label owners, bloggers, producers, promoters etc on the internet. people with some form of "elevated voice".

so if this isn't the place to speak up, i don't know what is.

well i never heard of this forum until i just saw youtube insight. i don't know nothing man! i will try using this site to publicize my work hard as helllll then, haha.

and damien, what rashad acid track are you talking about?

but about all the bulshit, i'll stop talkin shit. i just put a lot of effort into trying to get this out here everyday, despite terrible out of nowhere catastrophes like rashad getting deported. But trust me, worse shit happens allllll the time. i wrote that comment on the reader, i sent that letter to the guardian, and i wrote on here because i am literally one of a few handful of people who are actually trying to get the right history out there. Despite our personal views of Nate's tracks, I still stand by my writings that Nate should not be the focus of the footworking world, the fact he hasn't made tracks in 2 years is reason enough.

While I personally hate his tracks, thats really not the main issue. I'm more upset by the attention the media is paying to him, making him seem like he's so integral to the scene without trying to research the scene more. And I don't care if someone isn't getting paid enough to research a topic in-depth, I've been doing everything i've been doing out of pocket, with no near site of healthy returns for years ahead. so for someone to call me out, or even say some shit like dj clent is like rusko when every interview i've done with a footworker has involved them saying one of their inspirations was this Clent track:

it's just a slap in the face.

So no, I don't like Nate musically. Thats just me, and I don't have a problem with us disagreeing over that. If people are putting out DJ Nate albums, I laugh a lil bit, whatever. And despite what I think about Kille E, Elmoe, etc., I was still asking around for these guys so Mike could get in contact with em! I was about to give Mike the e-mails and numbers of these dudes, but Roc was able to get their information before I could.

So please, despite what you think of who I am, and what interests with my "clients" I have in mind, I'll do whatever I can to help out whoever needs it, and get the scene, not just my friends, out there.

But one last thing I wanted to address was this point:

My understanding of juke and footwork is that it doesn't cater to big communal parties, everyone facing the DJ, etc. It's for guys to dance in a circle against one another.

This is why I feel there isn't much of a difference between juke and footwork music as much as there is juke lovers and the footwork community. The world where people just footwork, can have parties up to 200-300 people in a room, just battling. As for juke fans, I've seen parties at size up to 3000 people. Until it's closing, DJ Chip used to host the Dolton Expo Center parties. Literally, 3000 people would show up every month and pay 15 bucks to get in. Chip made a shitload of untaxed cash.

And tell me what you guys think of this Spinn track: