No Future for the GOP?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The whole exercise would seem to imply that he held up his body weight with his arms, high enough to effectuate said thrusting.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Presuming the thrust-recipient’s head is bed-level, the angle of thrust of a wheelchair-bound perpetrator would seem upward-pointing, whereas a bipedal perpetrator would seem to have an easier time achieving a downward-pointing thrust.

So not only would Rep. Cawthorn (R-NC) have to suspend his body up with his arms, he’d also have to maneuver so as to deliver a downward-pointing thrust or series thereof.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Presuming the thrust-recipient’s head is bed-level, the angle of thrust of a wheelchair-bound perpetrator would seem upward-pointing, whereas a bipedal perpetrator would seem to have an easier time achieving a downward-pointing thrust.

So not only would Rep. Cawthorn (R-NC) have to suspend his body up with his arms, he’d also have to maneuver so as to deliver a downward-pointing thrust or series thereof.
Sorry, I'm still not quite getting it. Could you draw us a diagram? Be sure to use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each force vector.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Sorry, I'm still not quite getting it. Could you draw us a diagram? Be sure to use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each force vector.
Surprisingly 3Blue1Brown doesn't already have a video essay on the differential geometry of pelvic thrust vector fields.

IdleRich

IdleRich
“Will you reclaim your masculinity? Will you become a man to be feared, to be respected … or will you let this nation’s next generation be its final generation?”

In his mind he is no doubt a serious and heavyweight thinker whose powerfully constructed arguments cannot simply be dismissed. Someone who is grudgingly respected by everyone regardless of where they lie on the political spectrum. Even those who disagree strongly with his views have to accept that he is a powerful and skilled orator whose powerful reasoning backed up with steely determination and a love of his country make him a dangerous opponent to be feared both in debate and also in any kind of physical match-up where his square-jawed maga power will more than make up for any minor superficial disadvantages he may at first appear to have.

And, you know what, to be honest I do (or did at least) fear him a little - but more cos the idea of this wild-eyed idiotic demagogue being anywhere near a position of real power was frightening in itself, and cos - as with so many of these crazies who have been thrust into the limelight on both sides of the atlantic over the last few years - the very fact that there are people who see and hear him and yet still vote for him. That there were enough of them for him win an election is frankly terrifying.

This is something that has become particularly pronounced over the last few years - I do get that (same as in the UK) there are regions where a donkey in a red/blue (depending on the state) rosette could win the election... and yet, these people such as - to name but three - Cawthorne, Boebert, MTG are so so bad that there is no way they should be able to win an election even in the states where such claims are made. These people are not just your run of the mill inept politicians who make bad decisions more often than good and who, despite their best efforts, ultimately turn out to be incapable of performing the job that they were elected to do - these guys are on a different level, a new paradigm that takes the very concept of a bad politician to hitherto undreamt of levels. Each of them is a complete fucking idiot with insane ideas inarticulately and angrily expressed. Their platforms are an embarrassing mess of insane beliefs and shameless lies so intertwined that it's impossible to tell which is which. I seriously doubt that they even know which of their claims they are truly mad enough to believe and which are simply outright lies they spout to inflame their base. I honestly think that they are in so deep, and so deeply confused that they have completely lost track of what they truly believe. It's a certainly that between them they have not said or done one single thing of any merit whatsoever. Their entire function is to spray a constant stream of shite from their mouths, ranting and raving and frothing angrily at the mouth pointlessly and without the slightest connection to reality.

And, even though they are supposed to be politicians, they can't even hide this, each is completely incapable of reining it in and pretending to be a person of almost normal intelligence for the shortest period of time. If they are on camera, or giving a speech or doing anything at all, you can be certain that within a few seconds they will say something so incredibly dumb that you will at first think you must have misheard.

And this is what bothers me most of all, noone can claim that they were fooled or that they changed once elected - they are far too stupid to have even thought of trying to fool people. Anyone hearing them speak will be instantly aware that they are not all there, that they are completely incapable of even understanding what it is they are supposed to be doing.

I don't care how strong your allegiance to the Republican party is, casting a vote for such a person is a shocking dereliction of duty, a terrible waste of the hard won right to choose the people who represent you - voting for Boebert is in itself an outright betrayal of democracy and a disgraceful insult to those who believed in the idea of it and fought to make it exist.

So yeah, these people are living proof of the existence of a large number of people who are either so stunningly stupid they can't see what they are, or else they can see and simply don't care. So yeah, they frighten me.

Leo

In his mind he is no doubt a serious and heavyweight thinker whose powerfully constructed arguments cannot simply be dismissed. Someone who is grudgingly respected by everyone regardless of where they lie on the political spectrum. Even those who disagree strongly with his views have to accept that he is a powerful and skilled orator whose powerful reasoning backed up with steely determination and a love of his country make him a dangerous opponent to be feared both in debate and also in any kind of physical match-up where his square-jawed maga power will more than make up for any minor superficial disadvantages he may at first appear to have.

And, you know what, to be honest I do (or did at least) fear him a little - but more cos the idea of this wild-eyed idiotic demagogue being anywhere near a position of real power was frightening in itself, and cos - as with so many of these crazies who have been thrust into the limelight on both sides of the atlantic over the last few years - the very fact that there are people who see and hear him and yet still vote for him. That there were enough of them for him win an election is frankly terrifying.

This is something that has become particularly pronounced over the last few years - I do get that (same as in the UK) there are regions where a donkey in a red/blue (depending on the state) rosette could win the election... and yet, these people such as - to name but three - Cawthorne, Boebert, MTG are so so bad that there is no way they should be able to win an election even in the states where such claims are made. These people are not just your run of the mill inept politicians who make bad decisions more often than good and who, despite their best efforts, ultimately turn out to be incapable of performing the job that they were elected to do - these guys are on a different level, a new paradigm that takes the very concept of a bad politician to hitherto undreamt of levels. Each of them is a complete fucking idiot with insane ideas inarticulately and angrily expressed. Their platforms are an embarrassing mess of insane beliefs and shameless lies so intertwined that it's impossible to tell which is which. I seriously doubt that they even know which of their claims they are truly mad enough to believe and which are simply outright lies they spout to inflame their base. I honestly think that they are in so deep, and so deeply confused that they have completely lost track of what they truly believe. It's a certainly that between them they have not said or done one single thing of any merit whatsoever. Their entire function is to spray a constant stream of shite from their mouths, ranting and raving and frothing angrily at the mouth pointlessly and without the slightest connection to reality.

And, even though they are supposed to be politicians, they can't even hide this, each is completely incapable of reining it in and pretending to be a person of almost normal intelligence for the shortest period of time. If they are on camera, or giving a speech or doing anything at all, you can be certain that within a few seconds they will say something so incredibly dumb that you will at first think you must have misheard.

And this is what bothers me most of all, noone can claim that they were fooled or that they changed once elected - they are far too stupid to have even thought of trying to fool people. Anyone hearing them speak will be instantly aware that they are not all there, that they are completely incapable of even understanding what it is they are supposed to be doing.

I don't care how strong your allegiance to the Republican party is, casting a vote for such a person is a shocking dereliction of duty, a terrible waste of the hard won right to choose the people who represent you - voting for Boebert is in itself an outright betrayal of democracy and a disgraceful insult to those who believed in the idea of it and fought to make it exist.

So yeah, these people are living proof of the existence of a large number of people who are either so stunningly stupid they can't see what they are, or else they can see and simply don't care. So yeah, they frighten me.

here, it's usually a matter of a certain demographic of voters -- often white, lower income, and aggrieved -- just wanting to throw a middle finger to Washington establishment. they aren't fooled into voting for the MTGs of the world, and don't much care if a candidate is a moron, as long as the candidates are active social media trolls who own the libs and pledge to act as the turds in the Washington punchbowl.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
here, it's usually a matter of a certain demographic of voters -- often white, lower income, and aggrieved -- just wanting to throw a middle finger to Washington establishment. they aren't fooled into voting for the MTGs of the world, and don't much care if a candidate is a moron, as long as the candidates are active social media trolls who own the libs and pledge to act as the turds in the Washington punchbowl.
Very much the sense I get as well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah you are right... of course you are right... but to me choosing MTG or Boebert is not just giving Washington the finger, it seems like such a horribly nihilistic act that demonstrates beyond any shadow of a doubt that you have given up on the idea of getting anything positive from politics, in fact you've gone way beyond politics, you are now nothing more than a thing made up entirely of rage and hatred. You have so much hate that it trumps anything, you want to hurt everyone and the world and you don't care if it hurts you more as long as others suffer.

I'd liken it to... I dunno... say that there was someone you really hated and you knew that they liked the trousers that you were wearing. And you really hate that person, you hate that person so much that you will do anything no matter how petty or how much effort is required as long as it makes them feel a tiny bit worse in some way - so, knowing that they like the trousers you are wearing you decided to feed your bollocks into a slow moving threshing machine, destroying the trousers utterly right in front of them... gladly accepting the agonisingly brutal mangling of your genitalia and legs as long as the other person is mildly discomforted in some way.

Reactions: Leo

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah you are right... of course you are right... but to me choosing MTG or Boebert is not just giving Washington the finger, it seems like such a horribly nihilistic act that demonstrates beyond any shadow of a doubt that you have given up on the idea of getting anything positive from politics, in fact you've gone way beyond politics, you are now nothing more than a thing made up entirely of rage and hatred. You have so much hate that it trumps anything, you want to hurt everyone and the world and you don't care if it hurts you more as long as others suffer.

I'd liken it to... I dunno... say that there was someone you really hated and you knew that they liked the trousers that you were wearing. And you really hate that person, you hate that person so much that you will do anything no matter how petty or how much effort is required as long as it makes them feel a tiny bit worse in some way - so, knowing that they like the trousers you are wearing you decided to feed your bollocks into a slow moving threshing machine, destroying the trousers utterly right in front of them... gladly accepting the agonisingly brutal mangling of your genitalia and legs as long as the other person is mildly discomforted in some way.
I also get the sense that civic engagement, especially at the federal level in the US, has been reduced, as far as the majority of voters are concerned, to chiefly a gesture of one’s cultural preferences, a set of motivations which largely diverge from practical political considerations. Arguably especially for those who lack the time and intellect to really parse out the policy details.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Now they can't elect a speaker, apparently it has to be a majority... so cos 19 Rs voted for Jim Jordan (a politician who has quite literally never done anything in all his years in power) Kevin McCarthy failed to get one and in fact the most successful candidate was the Dem guy Jefferies or something. So with no outright winner they have a load of negotiating, cut some deals and so on, and then voted an hour later.... with exactly the same result. Third time coming up soon I assume... but if no-one will blink then what?

Leo

Now they can't elect a speaker, apparently it has to be a majority... so cos 19 Rs voted for Jim Jordan (a politician who has quite literally never done anything in all his years in power) Kevin McCarthy failed to get one and in fact the most successful candidate was the Dem guy Jefferies or something. So with no outright winner they have a load of negotiating, cut some deals and so on, and then voted an hour later.... with exactly the same result. Third time coming up soon I assume... but if no-one will blink then what?

it's nuts, and so embarrassing for the GOP (although they have no shame anymore, so that doesn't matter). It's uncharted territory, I think they keep going until someone hits 218 votes. Jefferies won't win, since there are only 212 Dems in the House and no Republicans will vote for him or any Dem.

I think the 19 holdouts are just doing it to make a statement and bust McCarthy's balls. They'll eventually peel off and he's make 218. But who knows.

Last edited: