No Future for the GOP?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh apparently after simply voting "Trump" twice, on the 11th go round he actually nominated the orange nappy filler.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Flw6B-dXgAARi46

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seems McCarthy failed to get a majority in the 12th vote but did see some movement. Apparently he is now saying that he is confident that it will be finally there on the 13th try... I really hope not, it has been extremely entertaining (in a really boring kind of way) and I was hoping it would continue for a long time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Does anyone know how he got people to change to support him? I keep reading stuff along the lines of

McCarthy just agreed to a deal with far right insurrectionists that would hold the entire US and global economy hostage to extreme cuts to everything from housing to education, healthcare, Social Security and Medicare. Hard to overstate how dangerous this is.

But does anyone know the details? It seems to be a weird situation in that the 20 or so people who have been blocking him are gonna be able to dictate what he does and are ultimately going to emerge as more powerful than the other 200 members of their party who sit in the house. Which seems crazy, but is pretty much what happens in the UK in every GE as a huge number of seats are safe and are pretty much guaranteed to the usual party, so the issues which will decide the swing constituencies end up becoming the biggest thing in the country regardless of whether or not they matter to everyone else.

What's to stop him reneging on any deals that he has made?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Albuquerque Police Chief Harold Medina described Pena as the “mastermind” of what he said appears to be a politically motivated conspiracy leading to shootings at the homes of two county commissioners and two state legislators between early December and early January.

I hope he did that Doctor Evil finger-wiggle thing while saying "mastermind."

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Anyone familiar with this guy? @Leo @padraig (u.s.) ?

"I believe that I’ve developed a vision for American national identity that I have deep conviction for and is the product of my own journey of having lived the gifts that this country has afforded me,” Ramaswamy said as he munched on veggie enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant in an Iowa strip mall. “And the combination of both doing it intellectually and having personally experienced that vision of our nation makes me well suited to articulate that and deliver on it.”

His metamorphosis into culture warrior came, he said, because his elite-educated business peers would often say one thing in private, like they were fed up with virtue signaling and social activism, yet still toed the progressive party line in public. Faced with what he saw as a combination of duplicity and cowardice, he felt compelled to defect from his peers and speak out."

Leo

No, only that Politico article that you posted.

his elite-educated business peers would often say one thing in private, like they were fed up with virtue signaling and social activism, yet still toed the progressive party line in public.

not saying he's naive but duh, that's 99.998% of every business person in the world: have personal feeling in private, express something different in public.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
True - could say it is part of doing business, catering to optics and whatnot. Especially politically sensitive business.

Leo

Free country, let him run. Good luck, but it'll go nowhere. Most people who run just do it to raise their profile.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not saying he's naive but duh, that's 99.998% of every business person in the world: have personal feeling in private, express something different in public.
And by the same token, how many conservatives are actually observant Christians, faithful and dedicated family wo/men, genuine ideological patriots, etc. etc.?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
From 2017:

On December 4, the Department of Transportation (DOT) announced it would repeal a critical safety regulation for modern braking systems on the same oil trains which have derailed, spilled oil, caught fire, exploded, and even killed dozens in multiple high profile accidents in recent years.