wonky

tom lea

Yeah Blackdown came up with it first: http://pitchfork.com/features/grime-dubstep/6840-grime-dubstep/

Although he seems to have retracted it and calling it w*nky now too
people were calling it wonky before that article- i wrote a v similar one around the same time using the world and had started it before reading martin's. wouldn't be surprised if he first coined it - but it was probably tested out on dsf or here prior to that piece...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
people were calling it wonky before that article- i wrote a v similar one around the same time using the world and had started it before reading martin's. wouldn't be surprised if he first coined it - but it was probably tested out on dsf or here prior to that piece...

I remember him saying it on his radio show all the time very repeatedly as if to reinforce that it was something. That was some time ago as well.

Ory

warp drive
the word (in relation to dubstep) first started getting tossed about late 2007/early 2008 I think.

BareBones

wheezy
i can't believe there's so much uproar about a word. Who cares? It's not like "funky" is a great name. i've grown to like it but it's a pain in the arse trying to describe it to someone unfamiliar with the scene ("it's kinda house, it's called funky... no no, it's not funky house... well, some of it is a bit like funky house... no, it is good, honestly"). Anyway, why don't we try to come up with a better name than "wonky"... How about "teedly deedly derp te dum"?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i can't believe there's so much uproar about a word. Who cares? It's not like "funky" is a great name. i've grown to like it but it's a pain in the arse trying to describe it to someone unfamiliar with the scene ("it's kinda house, it's called funky... no no, it's not funky house... well, some of it is a bit like funky house... no, it is good, honestly"). Anyway, why don't we try to come up with a better name than "wonky"... How about "teedly deedly derp te dum"?

I think the idea is that while funky (being a shit word) describes a genre of music, wonky (being a shit word) does not.

BareBones

wheezy
i don't know, i get the feeling there wouldn't be half as many feathers ruffled about it being presented as a genre if the name was like, a *really COOL word*

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i don't know, i get the feeling there wouldn't be half as many feathers ruffled about it being presented as a genre if the name was like, a *really COOL word*

plus it's not even just a shit genre name - the word wonky has connotations (aside from the daft drug ones) that people might not like attached to their music - nerdish & dry, like a "policy wonk" yunno. or maybe that's not the case in the UK?
I guess "grime" had the same problem but at least that word kind of described, in a stereotyped way, some element of the music itself. whereas wonky just seems like a word that was randomly picked out of thin air.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
people were calling it wonky before that article-

sorry tom you're wrong. i'm the first person to attribute sources to other people where they're due but in this case, for better or for indeed, as it now seems to be, worse, i came up the word in pitchfork all by my self to describe theme running through disparate genres.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I guess "grime" had the same problem but at least that word kind of described, in a stereotyped way, some element of the music itself. whereas wonky just seems like a word that was randomly picked out of thin air.
So in the US you can't use "wonky" in sentences like:

The front wheel on your bike is a bit wonky, no wonder it's hard to ride in a straight line.

or

My vision was going wonky after so many beers

i.e. something like skewed / twisted / off-beam / etc?

I don't think the choice of word was "picked out of thin air" in that regard, and think it does describe elements of the music at least as much as grime. I've used the adjective "wonky" to describe unstable pitch and rhythms for years and years, so when Blackdown used it to try to pull together the threads he did I got immediately where he was coming from.

But, yeah, words. Don't particularly like most of the music mentioned in this thread, nor do I know whether it's worth trying to name this / these trend(s) so not sure why I'm even joining in here. :)

moolac

sorry tom you're wrong. i'm the first person to attribute sources to other people where they're due but in this case, for better or for indeed, as it now seems to be, worse, i came up the word in pitchfork all by my self to describe theme running through disparate genres.

yeh seconded... you did martin. i think it's a pretty accurate description too... shame it's kinda taking off as a genre description for a lot of music i like though, i can't use it to describe what i'm into as it makes me feel a bit odd inside, heh.

there was of course stuff like wonky techno before (uglyfunk etc) but that was more of a specific type of techno than a theme or whatever. ...And of course wonky's not a new word.

At least you didn't call it wonKay or whatever, i don't get why those dots are being connected... a bit off point from my experiences with the music and going out in the UK.

moolac

Anyway, why don't we try to come up with a better name than "wonky"

EXACTLY. people will keep calling it until someone cares enough to change it. i dont have any good ideas or care enough.

its just a word anyway. and it's better than calling it funky.. but i like that music too.

checked slugabed?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
So in the US you can't use "wonky" in sentences like:

The front wheel on your bike is a bit wonky, no wonder it's hard to ride in a straight line.

i.e. something like skewed / twisted / off-beam / etc?

no you can use "wonky" like that here, tho it's not a word you hear often. just you can also use it the way I mentioned (for example during the Democratic primary you'd hear stuff like "Hillary comes off like a policy wonk") also I was gonna say that even the definition I offered up kind of describes the music but I thought it'd sound unfairly derogatory.

anyway tho whatever - I guess I was just trying to see if anyone else's take on "w****" would give me a new angle to approach it from - cos I wanna like it much more than I do.

tom lea

fair play - i swear i'd heard ppl (probably you) say it before that article, but it's only me who seems to think that. ;)

plus it's not even just a shit genre name - the word wonky has connotations (aside from the daft drug ones) that people might not like attached to their music - nerdish & dry, like a "policy wonk" yunno. or maybe that's not the case in the UK?

hud mo: "It does annoy me. It's quite a derogatory term, you know? It implies that it's… I mean, it's not serious music, that's fair enough, but it doesn't mean that a lot of time and effort doesn't go into it, and it's not just like the main theme of it is to be as crazy as possible."

anyway, away from this and back to the music - slugabed's amazing. that 12" on stuff is one of my favs of the year.

thc

thc
hey guys. enough with the complaining about this being a genre or not. who cares?

I just read about 20 pages of comments, most of which were pointless.

could we please just get back to talking about what tunes are good, what artists are good, what mixes are good?

all this debate is just ridiculous

i think we all know what we're refering to when one says "wonky." doesnt matter if you think it's a genre or not. let's talk about the music.