Funky Manifesto: a compilation of superb UK Funky radio rips

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Funky-Manifesto.jpg

This is not a mix. Rather, this is a compilation of the best UK Funky I could find, taken from radio shows, partly inspired by the Wiley best ofs that have been around recently. I'm NOT pretending I have these tunes. Rather, I'm showcasing the best in UK Funky. Because, while funky is wonderful, there's a lot of tunes out there I don't like that much, and I wanted an hour of music I could point to that would say, "this is what I want. This is what I want to make." Something that would be, for want of a better word, a manifesto of what Funky could be; what I think it should be. I'm not very geeky about funky, or at least not yet, I just love it and listen to it and make it, so I don't know many of the tunes on here. Probably someone like Queen of Sheba or Paul Autonomic knows every single one, but I don't. The lyrics tab has timings of the radio shows and podcasts that I've taken the rips from.

What I do know is that this stuff absolutely rocks. Funky skeptics, and beginners, start here.

Here it is. 151 Mb 320 MP3.

All tracklisting suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
cross-posted at your blog (but so did you ;)) ...

4m - big marcus nasty tune! still don’t know who made it.
8m - another one. scotty d or lil silva?
11m - lil silva ‘different’ (vip?) layered with crazi cousinz ‘inflation’
20m - dj gregory and karizma ‘don’t panic’
21m - wookie ‘gallium’
25m - dj gregory and karizma ‘vasefa’
28m - maybe kenny dope or terry hunter?
38m - sticky ‘how very dare you’
40m - perempay ‘in the air’
43m - don’t know but i’ve been wondering too..
45m - hard house banton ’sirens’
47m - vasefa again
51m - slipped my mind but i think ukfunky has it

did a quick scan but i’m going to give it a real listen now. very nice mr. meme!

john eden

male pale and stale
See if you put it like that, even I might give it a go... :)

big up all the fanatics every time.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Great stuff, I was thinking of doing something like this myself, especially with so many fantastic but difficult to track down tunes around right now.

28 minutes is a refix of No Hook by Kenny Dope, by the way. I don't know who made it.
43 minutes is "We Belong To The Night" by Suges, which was vocalled by Donaeo for Party Hard.
51 minutes is an American tune, it's on one of the 4 trackers in Uptown. I only know it as Heartbeat even though I've owned it for a while.

elgato

I just dont know
traxsource, junodownload, djdownload are the best i know of for house

djdownload is especially good for previewing

i too hate beatport

with this mix Grievous, i'm interested... how personal a take on this do you see this as? having read the blurb it seems fairly explicitly subjectively framed, but the title is maybe somewhat misleading

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks for the tips Elgato... Yes it is a very subjective and somewhat normative selection. There's been some private disussion recently about the waning interest level / innovation in funky in the last month or so. The quality level seems to have dropped and there's been a lot of cheesey formulaic stuff coming out. So when I listen to a lot of radio shows, I've been bored where before I was excited.

Hence I wanted to show some forms of funky that are still exciting, that form a "manifesto" of what funky can be, and maybe should be. It's not a plea for pure darkside funky, or pure anything funky, other than pure GOOD funky. It's not against vocal tunes or gyal tunes, both are here in abundance. It's not for purely grimey stuff (there's some GREAT stuff here, but loads of post-grime stuff is dull), it's not purely "propah" / US house.

Rather, it's about the multiplicity of styles that comprise really good funky house.

It's about showing the skeptics and the uninitiated how good this music can be... how industrial and noisy, how slinky and jazzy, how banging and bassy, this music can be. Because frankly, a lot of recent radio shows haven't done a good job of doing that, IMO.

Any manifesto of this kind is going to be at least a little contentious, especially coming from someone like me, who may be into the music and be releasing funky records, but isn't really core to the scene. And you can make a case for the cheesey stuff - loads of people like it and it's kind of the natural inheritor of Lovers Rock. But I thought it was a proposal worth making - even if it is a bit "funky for people who won't wear shoes and shirts" - and once I started I was so obsessed with it I couldn't not release it!