• Crucifix (repping hard for the U.S.!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

STN

sou'wester
It's easy to take the piss out of Crass

and

penny rimbaud said:
It annoys me that in the press and TV when an article is done on punk we rarely get mentioned and although we probably didn’t contribute immensely to the rock and roll circus, in a cultural and ideological way we were the most powerful band in the country.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I used to think Gee Vaucher was a man.

She is, but don't tell anyone ;)

Do Discharge count in this? If so they win for me.

Shaved Women's my favourite track out of any of them though. But Rudimentary Peni have been my most listened for the past coupla years, I missed them at the time so it's been weird hearing them now, sooo good.

mistersloane

Any recommendations? I've only heard 'Teenage Time Killer', it sounded OK but didn't blow me away. I've only heard praise for them.

Death Church is amazing, it's complete. Especially Inside and Rotten to the Core.

The EPs are good too, heard the last CD but havent got it off my mate yet.

Looking at it, youtube seems to have lots of their stuff.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think the best thing about Crass was G Vaucher's artwork personally. And I guess their influence (which is a mixed blessing with all that moralism). Some of the music is great but a lot of it isn't.

the artwork was great but I dunno. nor about the moralism - that's a charge I've heard leveled at Crass plenty of times but I doubt it's veracity. it seems to me they were really concerned w/getting people to think for themselves & their followers said "BUT HOW SHOULD WE THINK FOR OURSELVES" - very Life of Brian. this article (also linked from Uncarved) speaks to the matter somewhat. admittedly Rimbaud comes off a hit of a pompous jerk sometimes but so what.

also unlike pretty much every other band of old punks, anarcho & otherwise, Crass kept their word & never got back together to play an embarrassing set at Holidays in the Sun or whatever. so, points for that.

Flux I have a lot of time for - Tube Disaster is genius and als some stuff on the first album (they lie we die etc) and I have fond memories of the Uncarved Block LP with Adrian Sherwood.

this I'm totally with. the best thing about "Tube Disasters" is how it's impossible to make out exactly what the hell he's saying. all very JG Ballard a la "Warm Leatherette".

dunno about Conflict either, great as they were. they've also done a lot of terrible stuff since their glory days. but still, many great great tracks.

From Protest to Resistance
The Serenade Is Dead
The Guilt & The Glory

I voted for The Mob, anyway.

Last edited:

mistersloane

I spent a very depressing night the other week in a squat someone had just opened watching the DVD of 'The Day The Country Died'.

It was fucking awful, except for Penny, as usual, who came off brilliantly.

john eden

male pale and stale
ouch, they aren't pulling their punches in the amazon reviews...

I held off getting the book of that DVD. Someone said it was great in parts, but there are only so many times you can read stuff like "and then Rat the bassist left us to go and work as a blah blah blah so we got this new guy in called Lee"

mistersloane

ouch, they aren't pulling their punches in the amazon reviews...

I held off getting the book of that DVD. Someone said it was great in parts, but there are only so many times you can read stuff like "and then Rat the bassist left us to go and work as a blah blah blah so we got this new guy in called Lee"

The book's OK actually, quite enervating, but the DVD - at times it seems like they're deliberately trying to ruin something, almost like it's deliberately bad. Which would be cool, but I don't really think Subhumans fans have that much foresight.