Question re: Energy Flash

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Why does the new edition cost 40 quid at Amazon.co.uk?!
At Amazon.ca (the Canadian one) I have the option of getting the old edition, used, starting at $140.00!!

I noticed the same thing about Kodwo Eshun's book.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way I could get my hands on these books. Were the words written onto papyrus created from the underbelly of a now-extinct species of turtle?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
If only the Eshun book problem was as easily solved, I've ever seen for less than a million pounds (roughly). I have the PDF on my computer, but reading books on a computer really is a singularly joyless task. If only Kindles were cheap.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If only the Eshun book problem was as easily solved, I've ever seen for less than a million pounds (roughly). I have the PDF on my computer, but reading books on a computer really is a singularly joyless task. If only Kindles were cheap.

Where did you find the PDF? I can't find one of those either.

Client Eastwood

Would it be against board rules to have put up ? Always wanted a read but waay to pricey.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I, uh, found it. Just lying around you know. In a digital sense.
It seems unlikely that Dissensus will be sued into oblivion, but it's probably best not to post up links anyway. However, those expressing interest in it may also find it lying around shortly. Nudge nudge, wink wink, etc.

nomos

Administrator
sPeaking as a Moderator...

300px-Three_wise_monkeys_figure.JPG

;)

massrock

I've got a signed copy of More Brilliant. I left it with a mate for about six years until I discovered that it was actually really hard to get and then I had to ask for it back in a hurry. He was just about to take it down the car boot!

nomos

Administrator
i was lucky enough to get it at waterstone's for £10 but it's getting worn. i'd been thinking of scanning it and making a searchable pdf because i'm always rifling through it looking for things.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Thanks to certain people helping me notice a copy "lying around" (cheers mate!), I have begun More Brilliant Than The Sun and let me say this: while I can appreciate a few good ideas are being set up within the first few chapters, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to digest and endure if this motherfucker didn't keep inventing words without defining them every second sentence. At times it reads like a parody of academia.

Sorry, I mean a parodemia.

benjybars

village elder.
More Brilliant Than The Sun should be getting reprinted very soon.. (i work in a bookshop and, more as a timewasting strategy than an intense desire to have the book, i usually phone the publisher every couple of weeks to see where it's at. anyway should be soon ;))

nomos

Administrator
Thanks to certain people helping me notice a copy "lying around" (cheers mate!), I have begun More Brilliant Than The Sun and let me say this: while I can appreciate a few good ideas are being set up within the first few chapters, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to digest and endure if this motherfucker didn't keep inventing words without defining them every second sentence. At times it reads like a parody of academia.
The final section - 'Motion Capture' - can be a good place to start since he outlines the ideas for the book and the context in which he wrote it. It's also available in its original form on the CCRU website. The neologisms are important because he's making the point that standard language and academic predispositions don't come close to being able to grasp what's going on in the music, that the music forces new ways of thinking and speaking about itself.