Record storage options

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I am on the search for decent record storage options.

I'm sure there was a thread or two about this before but I had a good search and there doesn't seem to be anything specific.

I'm looking for wooden cubes that will be sturdy. Eden has some from B&Q that are ideal but they don't seem to do them any more.

Leading options seem to be SpyBox (£21, each box takes 110 12s: http://www.spybox.co.uk/shop_uk.html) and iCubes (£30, takes 100 12s; http://www.i-cubes.co.uk/).

Any other suggestions? DIY not really an option :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hard to find records do some excellent flat pack ones, seem very sturdy

records_dave.jpg

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
You got your vinyl back, then? How long was that? :)
Since I put all my vinyl in storage, I seem to have acquired around 500 12s and a few sevens. The main bulk of it is still in storage.

When it all comes back I'm going to have a cull, bring it down to 1,000 max. Maybe do a Stelfox.

For now I'm going for a double-width Besta from ikea - £75 quid and you're done. Not as nice as the cubes but works well.

john eden

male pale and stale
Since I put all my vinyl in storage, I seem to have acquired around 500 12s and a few sevens. The main bulk of it is still in storage.

When it all comes back I'm going to have a cull, bring it down to 1,000 max. Maybe do a Stelfox.

For now I'm going for a double-width Besta from ikea - £75 quid and you're done. Not as nice as the cubes but works well.

whack up a photo when it's in... :cool:

nochexxx

harco pronting
can anyone recommend me a reasonably priced 12” record bag that's sturdy enough for gigs, space for 100 12”s and comfortable enough for my nofootwurkin ass to carry? thanks in advance

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend gave me his old one which is from Rough Trade - I think it's pretty good (he didn't like it 'cause of tiny holes at the top which could conceivably cause precious records to get wet if it rained heavily); it's fairly tough, holds maybe eighty odd (I'm guessing) and it has staps which mean you can wear it like a rucksack if you like. That's a pretty good way to carry things it turns out. Dunnno how much it cost though.
Also got a Technics one which is maybe slightly less tought but maybe holds a few more. Also given to me by friends I'm afraid so I'm not sure of the cost.
Sorry, that's a bit vague and not that helpful now I read it back.

massrock

I've got one that I've had for about 10 years that I paid £40 for. It's been brilliant, got back straps like the one Rich has and that is much better for your back than using the shoulder strap. I've never found one marking on it to indicate the manufacturer...

If I was carrying records around regularly now though I think I'd look for something with wheels tbh.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah most of the "serious" djs I know have the metal jobbies on wheels - I guess that's the way to go if you've got the funds.

nochexxx

harco pronting
cheers chaps.

i've been surfing around extensively. one question i keep asking myself is when a bag is advertised with space to hold 80 12ves, do they mean with or without the inclusion of carboard jackets?

bobbin

What
i'm pretty sure it normally means you can get the outer sleeves in! but it usually means that leaves you no space to flick through, unless it's one with a fold-down front. which i find really annoying.

i've got a rucksack that's just about the right dimensions, a jansport one i think. the front zips all the way down and it feels much less unhealthy to carry than one of those shoulder strap jobs. it's enough for a set as i'm over the days of packing a million records and play cds as well.

connect_icut

Hoping the Dissensians can help me with another purchasing decision. I'm going to get rid of some CDs to make room for another record shelf. Ikea no longer seems to make the very sturdy Lack shelves I've bought previously, so I'll probably go for this Expedit:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20116274

I only have one concern - the shelves seem a bit thin (certainly compared to my chunky Lacks) and a shelf-full of vinyl would definitely weigh more than Ikea recommends for an Expedit shelf. However, I've read on other forums that loads of people have experience of using these for record storage and nobody seems to have had any problems. Anyone here have any personal experience to confirm or deny this?

(BTW, I'm only buying Ikea because I live in Canada, which seriously limits one's purchasing choices.)

e/y

I had a 4x4 version of the Expedit a few years ago, and from what I remember, those shelves are fairly strong - I had a bunch of pretty heavy textbooks and they held up fine.

another (safer?) option would be to put the unit on it's side so you end up using one of the thick walls to support the records, and you can put a record player / speakers on top (I did this with a Billy unit before).

gumdrops

im thinking of getting some shelves made by a local place. hopefully it will be cheaper than the places mentioned, and i can just glue the shelving together myself. though i do sometimes look at my records lying around and wonder why on earth i still have them. well until i play them that is.