More MIA

rrrivero

Yeah but the SCAF still wields executive power/Egypt is still a presidential nation. It will be interesting to see what happens in June when they need to hand it over.

sufi

lala
It was dope to have so many people from so many different backgrounds speaking so many different languages come together to create something that we believed in. I thought I was gonna die on the shoot when I saw the drifting. It was a four day shoot so everyone was on edge the whole time specifically ME when I had to do bluesteel singing to the camera while the cars did doughnuts on the wet road ten feet away. In my mind I was thinking how I was gonna deliver the video to Vice with no legs."
- Writer Maya Arulpragasam describing the shoot for the video to "Bad Girls".[2]

M.I.A. announced via Twitter that she had shot an accompanying music video for the song, directed by Romain Gavras. This is the second time the two have collaborated, following the 2010 video to "Born Free." The video for "Bad Girls" premiered on Noisey, VICE's new music channel on YouTube, on 2 February 2012 at a total length of four minutes and twelve seconds.[2] Filmed in Ouarzazate, Morocco over four days, Margaret Wappler of the Los Angeles Times notes the video is a lady gangsta fantasy but one that plays off very real ingredients from life in the Middle East. There’s crumbled architecture, sustained over years of attack; smouldering oil tankards; young men in kaffiyeh, standing around dangerously bored; mysterious women covered from head to toe, with only their kohl-lined eyes flashing out. M.I.A. deadpans about having sex in cars while vamping in front of those tankard fires. Women are gyrating with AK-47s, while swathed in cheetah patterns, polka dots and gold. And like Ice Cube would (or any young dude feeling futile and angry), there are old family sedans to grab and turn into drifting, racing stunt rides, whether on Crenshaw, Eight Mile or a bullet-scarred road running parallel with an oil pipe line. The video is meant to evoke a Persian Gulf landscape – dusty, baked, semi-apocalpytic and in the hands of M.I.A. and Gavras, "utterly hard-core".[3] The video garnered over two and a half million views in the first two days of its release
just rubbish - not even controversial

Yeah but the SCAF still wields executive power/Egypt is still a presidential nation. It will be interesting to see what happens in June when they need to hand it over.
yes indeed,

rubberdingyrapids

i dont actually think she should have put up a finger or sworn at that time, but im conservative when it comes to things like the watershed. im more offended by the awfulness of the song. and that two very interesting women were happy to act just as cheerleaders for a much less interesting, but much more desperate woman.

Esp

i dont actually think she should have put up a finger or sworn at that time, but im conservative when it comes to things like the watershed. im more offended by the awfulness of the song. and that two very interesting women were happy to act just as cheerleaders for a much less interesting, but much more desperate woman.

If Mick Jagger had been sauntering around on stage like a 21 y old no one would describe him as desperate. I cant stand Madonna but a lot of the criticism of her regarding this seems to be basically sexist.

I've no idea what MIA was doing there though - performing a choreographed dance routine dressed as a cheerleader. I guess she must think there's some grand point to be made in going from visa denials and being labelled a terrorist to then sticking her finger up while performing at the most quintessentially American event possible. There really isnt though. Especially given that her 'outsider' image was never as convincing as she thought it was.

I just like the idea of someone trying to paint themselves as making politicised outsider music then performing at the Superbowl with Madonna.

rubberdingyrapids

shes trying to be a popstar now, which is going to make the outsider/radical chic stuff pretty ludicrous.

If Mick Jagger had been sauntering around on stage like a 21 y old no one would describe him as desperate. I cant stand Madonna but a lot of the criticism of her regarding this seems to be basically sexist.

i think mick jagger looks a bit silly too. james brown looked a bit silly too still trying to be an entertainer in his 70s. someone like gil scot heron who wasnt trying to be a 'performer' was able to age more gracefully on stage.