PDA

View Full Version : New Oval Album

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Apparently, there's a new Oval album coming out very soon (the first since about 2003, I think.) From what I can ascertain (mainly through Twitter), it called Oh, it's coming out on Thrill Jockey and it's quite different from anything Markus "King of Glitch" Popp has done before. If anyone has any more information to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the meantime, here's a classic from 1994:

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/07-do-while-e29c82.mp3

nochexxx
13-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Apparently, there's a new Oval album coming out very soon (the first since about 2003, I think.) From what I can ascertain (mainly through Twitter), it called Oh, it's coming out on Thrill Jockey and it's quite different from anything Markus "King of Glitch" Popp has done before. If anyone has any more information to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the meantime, here's a classic from 1994:

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/07-do-while-e29c82.mp3

wicked, love all of his records (apart from the early one with the singing)! So was also great.

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I've always avoided hearing the first album - people told me it was pretty embarrassing. The only one I considered a bit shaky was Ovalprocess - too much fax-modem noise! Still, he got back on track with Ovalcommers, which was wicked.

According to one tweet I read, the new album is very "percussive". I hope this doesn't mean he's started trying to use beats! I'm pretty apprehensive about the whole thing but at the same time, I'm dying to hear it.

zhao
13-04-2010, 06:43 PM
there were some later dodgy pop glitch-lite stuff with vocals too... (a collab project not under the oval moniker)

nochexxx
13-04-2010, 06:46 PM
there were some later dodgy pop glitch-lite stuff with vocals too... (a collab project not under the oval moniker)

unless something else has escaped me, do you mean So (as i'd written above )? cos that's not dodgy by anymeans.

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 06:47 PM

That's the So album nochexxx was referring to. I don't remember it being "glitch-lite" at all - more like an even more abstract take on the abstract side of Tujiko Noriko's stuff. Haven't listened to the album in ages but I remember loving it at the time.

nochexxx
13-04-2010, 06:49 PM
this performance suprised me somewhat. probably cos i have never seen him perform before and wasn't expecting to see something so rockist. looks a bit like Rollin's, spesh with the hardcore plaids.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-VMufkzaNM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-VMufkzaNM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 06:59 PM
this performance suprised me somewhat. probably cos i have never seen him perform before and wasn't expecting to see something so rockist. looks a bit like Rollin's, spesh with the hardcore plaids.

I saw him live promoting Ovalprocess and it was pretty intense and bizarre. Very loud and Popp was extremely active, with his hands darting between a MIDI controller, a mixer and a laptop. But I don't think he was improvising - he seemed to be re-creating tracks, glitch-for-glitch, from the album!

Dunninger
13-04-2010, 07:01 PM
In about two weeks Oval is playing with the Zeitkratzer ensemble in Cologne and I plan to go. Don't know really what to expect, but this could be good :D

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 07:10 PM
In about two weeks Oval is playing with the Zeitkratzer ensemble in Cologne and I plan to go. Don't know really what to expect, but this could be good :D

Is actually he playing with them or on the same bill as them? They're the people who did the string quartet version of Metal Machine Music, right?

He did one show last year, maybe at some minimalist festival in Holland. I remember reading that he kept stopping and saying " this one isn't finished yet". He's the Cat Power of electronic music!

Dunninger
13-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Is actually he playing with them or on the same bill as them? They're the people who did the string quartet version of Metal Machine Music, right?

I know they played MMM (not sure if it's a string quartet, I haven't heard it). According to this (http://www.degem.de/index.php/news/676-cd-old-school-john-cage-old-school-james-tenney-live-dates.html) it's a cooperation, so I think they're actually playing together.

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Interesting. Well, it's nice to see he's back in the game. I kind of suspect he may have... issues that have prevented him from being musically active for the last few years. I once asked him a question at a lecture he gave here and he basically answered by repeating the entire lecture whilst maintaining direct eye contact with me personally. Like I said... issues. He's a genius, though, so what are you gonna do?

woops
13-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Good tip I'll check this out no doubt.
About the percussive thing - there's plenty of looping and rhythms on Systemisch, I don't see that this will be such a big step necessarily, interested to hear though.

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Good tip I'll check this out no doubt.
About the percussive thing - there's plenty of looping and rhythms on Systemisch, I don't see that this will be such a big step necessarily, interested to hear though.

That's true enough but it never really settles into what you'd call a steady back beat. In any case, I suspect the "percussive" thing refers to sound sources rather than the use of rhythm. I guess we'll see.

nochexxx
13-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I saw him live promoting Ovalprocess and it was pretty intense and bizarre. Very loud and Popp was extremely active, with his hands darting between a MIDI controller, a mixer and a laptop. But I don't think he was improvising - he seemed to be re-creating tracks, glitch-for-glitch, from the album!

sounds great. i actually went to see him play once, but arrived at the venue to find he had pulled the show at the last minute. rumours circulated that he refused to fly because promoters didn't book him a Lufthansa ticket. not sure i believe that, but i guess it could have been post 9/11 anxiety.

connect_icut
13-04-2010, 10:42 PM
sounds great. i actually went to see him play once, but arrived at the venue to find he had pulled the show at the last minute. rumours circulated that he refused to fly because promoters didn't book him a Lufthansa ticket. not sure i believe that, but i guess it could have been post 9/11 anxiety.

Or... y'know... just... issues. Okay, he's crazy! There, I said it!! Are you happy now?

So, has anyone actually heard any of this alleged new album or what?

nochexxx
14-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Or... y'know... just... issues. Okay, he's crazy! There, I said it!! Are you happy now?

i'll never forgive a friend of mine for having turned down a tour with Oval in the mid 90's. preytell stories he should have brought back. :D

nochexxx
14-04-2010, 08:08 AM
does markus popp use twitter then? :)

i'd like minute to minute info on this up and coming release.

connect_icut
14-04-2010, 04:19 PM
does markus popp use twitter then? :)

i'd like minute to minute info on this up and coming release.

Boy does this ever make me want to make a fake Markus Popp Twitter account. But I shall resist.

Apparently, he's also doing some kind of (split?) 12" as part of a subscription-only series that Thrill Jockey does.

skull kid
14-04-2010, 07:40 PM
actually, the first oval album, wohntohn, is fantastic. not nearly as much vocals as reviews would lead you to believe, and they're hardly intrusive. they remind me of holger hiller

it has an early version of "do while"

connect_icut
14-04-2010, 09:48 PM
actually, the first oval album, wohntohn, is fantastic. not nearly as much vocals as reviews would lead you to believe, and they're hardly intrusive. they remind me of holger hiller

it has an early version of "do while"

Huh! Well, maybe I'll have to seek that out, after all. I fucking love "Do While" (http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/07-do-while-e29c82.mp3), me.

Dunninger
15-04-2010, 09:49 AM
here's the label blurb:
http://www.thrilljockey.com/catalog/index.html?id=104798

nochexxx
15-04-2010, 01:28 PM
quids in, if the record is as good as the blurb!

connect_icut
15-04-2010, 04:22 PM
That does sound exciting! An EP, followed by a double CD... And how very Markus Popp to develop a technique for making music based on doing the exact opposite of what Markus Popp would do.

Diggedy Derek
16-04-2010, 09:30 AM
It's very different to previous stuff.

Sounds like he decided to go completely the other direction to before, so cheap freeware software rather than his own software. Simple sounds, everything apparently made on a cheap pc. It sounds frantic and improvised, and there's quick fire barrages of percussion, which may or may not be played live by Popp!

Surprisingly.... It works.

12" of about 25 mins and 12 tracks or so imminent, and album coming August.

Diggedy Derek
16-04-2010, 09:31 AM
To clarify... Heard the 12", which is more of a mini album really, not heard the album.

zhao
16-04-2010, 11:11 AM
i fucking TOLD him he was a good Musician but he didn't agree back in 2002, preferring to pretend to be only an engineer who "makes situations happen". :rolleyes:

connect_icut
16-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Just got an email from the guy who does the Mapsadaisical blog (http://mapsadaisical.wordpress.com/) and he pretty much confirms everything Derek says. I'm hoping he''ll post a review with a couple of MP3s soon.

nochexxx
28-04-2010, 08:32 AM
mistakenly presumptuous? i'm wondering if the arrival of the new Oval rec will prompt a revival of traditional computer music.

skull kid
28-04-2010, 07:26 PM
didn't philip sherburne just write a history of glitch puff piece for some mp3 website somewhere? i smell revival... ;)

massrock
28-04-2010, 08:17 PM
mistakenly presumptuous? i'm wondering if the arrival of the new Oval rec will prompt a revival of traditional computer music.
This made me think of Iancu Dumitrescu and his lot. Supposedly they use old PCs and repurposed software to make their electronic music. It's like heavyweight avant garde with total punk spirit. Some of that is seriously the most downright violent and cosmic electronic music I've heard. Great stuff.

connect_icut
29-04-2010, 01:31 AM
didn't philip sherburne just write a history of glitch puff piece for some mp3 website somewhere? i smell revival... ;)

I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents. The thing that worries me is that the "revival" seems to be happening absurdly soon after the event itself (the heyday of glitch was probably around 2000/2001). I think this is indicative of how revivals will work in the future. A genre will spend five-to-ten years in the Black Hole of Cool before being rehabilitated and reintroduced seamlessly into the cultural smorgasbord. If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

slowtrain
29-04-2010, 07:49 AM
I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents. The thing that worries me is that the "revival" seems to be happening absurdly soon after the event itself (the heyday of glitch was probably around 2000/2001). I think this is indicative of how revivals will work in the future. A genre will spend five-to-ten years in the Black Hole of Cool before being rehabilitated and reintroduced seamlessly into the cultural smorgasbord. If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

I've also noticed this revival thing, see this video by Kanye West, and some Lady Gaga stuff has glitch elements, very pop based and hardly glitch in any Oval esque sense, but stilll.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMH0e8kIZtE

nochexxx
29-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents.

perhaps my imagination has got the better of me (wouldn't be the first time), but i'm envisioning a reactionary response, instigated by the press (likely?), or artists peeved at the current trend of analogue hipsterism and feel it's the right time to promote Windows and all of it's "bubble economy"
(again)? :slanted:

connect_icut
30-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I think that the appearance of "glitchy" sounds in mainstream pop has a lot to do with technology. It seems like software developers often create VSTs etc. in response to trends in "cutting edge" electronica but everyone's using the same plug-ins and presets, so these trends filter into the mainstream by technological osmosis.

Also, I certainly think there could be a renewal of interest in computer music based on the ever more tedious, seemingly endless fashion for analogue fetishism (I was sick of that shit about five years ago). However, in many ways it's equally hard to get excited about contemporary computing - with software getting less inspiring and less user-friendly with each new generation and the Internet becoming little more than an irritating (and environmentally hazardous) source of mindless tedium. So, it makes sense that a kind of back-to-basics retro computer music ethos might take hold.

michael
04-05-2010, 03:44 AM
New Mille Plateaux 'Clicks & Cuts' album out...

The influential electronic label MILLE PLATEAUX kickstarts it's newest chapter with it's flagship: A new edition of the legendary CLICKS & CUTS compilation series, that in fact named it's own genre. Volume 5.0 (subtitled "Paradigm Shift") features a totally new generation of young artists giving a 360 degree view on fresh glitch sounds: from Minimal Clicks to IDM-/Dub-ish tracks via Ambient and Sound Art to the 2 'Evac' tracks going to the Artcore and Organic extremes. Each song has it's own distinct character, and with a significantly higher amount in melodic and compository details than it's predecessors, this is probably the most musically substantial CLICKS & CUTS compilation ever.

Got linked to the promo, it has a lot more in common with the kind of thing you can get for free from "melodic IDM" net labels than to the first 2 volumes. Rubbish, in my opinion.

Didn't know there was a 3 or 4 to be honest.

Wikipedia says the label / brand Mille Plateaux has been sold twice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Plateaux), which probably explains the shift in direction. The release doesn't seem much like the old stuff at all. Not that it should sound formally like the old stuff, but doesn't even keep the same spirit.

staypuft
04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
that's sad to hear. I was hoping that Mille Plateaux would sign a Burial experimental side project.

really.

woops
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

Hey Connect_icut I think there's a danger of overrating your favourite genre. You often hear of genre purists overrating the capabilities of their favourite styles. It reminds me of something I read about breakcore on a forum wherein someone was expressing their annoyment that their aspirations for breakcore (as unifier of all genres, tribes and political leanings) were being ruined by people doing it wrong.

I love glitch too as I've posted on here before. I'd also like to believe the disruptive formal qualities (and the millennial aspect!) make it immune to being absorbed / accepted / okay to like but I don't think it's realistic, sadly.

zhao
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
New Mille Plateaux 'Clicks & Cuts' album out...

Got linked to the promo, it has a lot more in common with the kind of thing you can get for free from "melodic IDM" net labels than to the first 2 volumes. Rubbish, in my opinion.

oh nose... sounds terrible.

Didn't know there was a 3 or 4 to be honest.

i quite liked one of the CDs of that "glitch hop" thing too... not sure if that was a part of the series?

connect_icut
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I love glitch too as I've posted on here before. I'd also like to believe the disruptive formal qualities (and the millennial aspect!) make it immune to being absorbed / accepted / okay to like but I don't think it's realistic, sadly.

Obviously, I don't think glitch is immune to being absorbed seamlessly into the mainstream. In fact, my point was that the way audio software is researched and developed pretty much guaranteed that it would be absorbed, to a certain extent. My concern relates to how contemporary post-glitch artists react (or don't react) to this assimilation. I really, really like stuff along the lines of Tape and Mountains but I feel that, more often than not, these artists simply integrate glitchy textures into a decorative audio landscape. I'd like to hear more artists finding new ways to use digital audio errors in a way that is confounding, challenging and uncanny.

slowtrain
05-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Obviously, I don't think glitch is immune to being absorbed seamlessly into the mainstream. In fact, my point was that the way audio software is researched and developed pretty much guaranteed that it would be absorbed, to a certain extent. My concern relates to how contemporary post-glitch artists react (or don't react) to this assimilation. I really, really like stuff along the lines of Tape and Mountains but I feel that, more often than not, these artists simply integrate glitchy textures into a decorative audio landscape. I'd like to hear more artists finding new ways to use digital audio errors in a way that is confounding, challenging and uncanny.

I guess a fundamental problem with the way in which glitch in the sense yr discussing has kind of 'petered out' sotospeak, is that it is very medium dependent, so it becomes kind of limiting in a way, to do new things...

zhao
05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
that's sad to hear. I was hoping that Mille Plateaux would sign a Burial experimental side project.

really.

i wouldn't mind this. or at least a remix album with the MP roster.

zhao
05-05-2010, 06:23 AM

really.

i wouldn't mind this. or at least a remix album with the MP roster.

connect_icut
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I guess a fundamental problem with the way in which glitch in the sense yr discussing has kind of 'petered out' sotospeak, is that it is very medium dependent, so it becomes kind of limiting in a way, to do new things...

What do you mean by "medium dependent", exactly? Can you expand on this?

Dunninger
05-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Last week I was at the Oval+Zeitrkratzer concert I mentioned above. First Popp played solo, then he played together with Zeitkratzer tracks from the upcoming album and then there was a part with Zeitkratzer playing 4 compositions of their own.
The Oval bits consisted mostly of sampled acoustic instruments, lots of plucked strings and drums. If I understood him right he played all of these instruments himself, he actually mentioned that he spend a good amount of the last 9 years practicing. The samples were cut up which resulted in clearly audible clicks, but not really old-school Oval glitchiness. For me the parts where he brought out the shimmering overtones of the string instruments worked best but there were also moments that didn't grab me much.
The part together with Zeitkratzer was my favourite, I had to think of something like No Neck Blues band if they were from eastern europe. Overall a nice concert, but I'm not sure if I need that on record.

connect_icut
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Think I read that all of his "live" instrument parts are sourced from commercially available VST plug-in presets. Could be wrong.

Sadly, I still haven't heard any of the new material.

slowtrain
06-05-2010, 06:33 AM
What do you mean by "medium dependent", exactly? Can you expand on this?

Well, isn't glitch worked based on making CD's and other sorts of recording devices, electronics malfunction? I just mean that you need to already have something to make glitch.... I may be wrong though

zhao
06-05-2010, 08:03 AM
This made me think of Iancu Dumitrescu and his lot. Supposedly they use old PCs and repurposed software to make their electronic music. It's like heavyweight avant garde with total punk spirit. Some of that is seriously the most downright violent and cosmic electronic music I've heard. Great stuff.

FUCK YEAH.

http://www.sonoloco.com/rev/editionmodern/1001/IRedmn1001.jpg

if you are not familiar it is commercially unavailable but waters link in my sig...

massrock
06-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes mate. I think I checked that one out. Actually it's sonically very mild compared to some of the frankly calamitous computer music he was playing at stoopid volume at the Spectrum concerts in London last year. Like universes tearing apart. There was a merch table, and actually they were selling that one above so it might be available, but I couldn't quite work out what the pure computer stuff was. You could hear it was primitive digital processes being abused - like cheap and extreme time-stretching and pitch shifting. Wicked stuff.

zhao
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
oh man i have to hear some of that shit you're describing if MEDIUM III is "mild" in comparison... fuck me. this recording cranked up is about 100 million times more "doom" than any doom metal can hope to be... Pan Sonic on DMT... DOOMITRESCU for real.

massrock
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
The thing with the instrumental music is it's quite funny (as in haha) to watch. It's all this abstract sound but then you've got these brightly lit musicians doing really quite silly things with their bassoons and things. Tends to diminish the sense of gravitas somewhat I found. Still good though, not like much else. I think having the process so transparent is part of the thinking behind it anyway.

Dumitrescu was being a proper composer - having a go at a musician (Tim Hodgkinson - "I am playing it man!") and abandoning the piece (actually, leaving the building) when he felt it wasn't being played right. Other musicians walked off at one point as well. Drama! He was pretty pissed about something to do with one of the venues not allowing enough volume or something as well.

The computer music though, I thought it was pretty startling.

nochexxx
18-05-2010, 08:44 PM
XLR8R have just released a free download (http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2010/05/ah) from the upcoming record.

interesting enough but i'm not sure about it tbh. not feeling the phat beat ground against busy granular shluurps and glitchs. a bit disposable, and not far from later period / wrong Mouse On Mars imo. i sure hope this is the weakest track! sorry to be a hater :(

connect_icut
18-05-2010, 10:28 PM
XLR8R have just released a free download (http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2010/05/ah) from the upcoming record.

interesting enough but i'm not sure about it tbh. not feeling the phat beat ground against busy granular shluurps and glitchs. a bit disposable, and not far from later period / wrong Mouse On Mars imo. i sure hope this is the weakest track! sorry to be a hater :(

I like it! But it does sound a lot like Mouse on Mars and it seems like he's really going out of his way to be accessible. I do hope there's some more abstract/challenging stuff to come. This is nice but it seems a little "lite".

Oss
23-05-2010, 01:54 PM
This is the last thing I expected to hear. I played it five times to try to like it, but i hate the drums. Hope the rest isn't like this.

zhao
23-05-2010, 02:39 PM
why can't he just make another 10 volumes of systemisch.

wouldn't it be great: not only for me to have all these functional and efficient sound patterns (no M word) at my disposal,
but the idea of "zero progression" as an artist.
that would be really interesting, a pretty amazing concept and project, and also fit with his whole schtick (which i guess he's out grown) --
the "i am not a Musician" and "the system makes the work", etc.

if that was entirely true (which of course it isn't, not even for one minute)
then forget this "next work has to advance from the previous" idea, and this pop appeal nonsense.

i mean, as long as the conceptual art and system Music myth, that the artist's subjectivity is not involved in its actual creation, is useful to those who believe it, mostly the artist him/her self, in creating quality works, then i see no harm in it, and they should just do it like that: BECOME THE MACHINE.

nochexxx
23-05-2010, 05:09 PM
zhaos response made think of an evil Popp forcing glitch into and out of humans. recorded works of hired orchestras, unwittingly corrupted by the use of spiked refreshments, each dose more heroic than the next. music once again collapses and the record button is pressed. :D

Oss
23-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I imagined the new koncept evolved from Ovalprocess/commers sound, but this track is a whole other story. I was prepared to hear a totally new way of using gear or whatever. The albums after Scenariodisk were fkin brilliant, with millions of ideas in every track.

michael
23-05-2010, 09:16 PM
This is the last thing I expected to hear. I played it five times to try to like it, but i hate the drums. Hope the rest isn't like this.

Yeah, the only positive things I have to say about it are that a) it doesn't sound at all cool and b) it sounds like it was probably fun to write / play.

I'll probably still give the upcoming releases a listen, but...

slowtrain
24-05-2010, 05:57 AM
I don't think it sounds that bad at all, very nerdy though.

glottis5
04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, I just listened to the album; it's a lot better than that leaked track. Definitely something I'm going to have to listen to a few more times.

slowtrain
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
why can't he just make another 10 volumes of systemisch.

wouldn't it be great: not only for me to have all these functional and efficient sound patterns (no M word) at my disposal,
but the idea of "zero progression" as an artist.
that would be really interesting, a pretty amazing concept and project, and also fit with his whole schtick (which i guess he's out grown) --
the "i am not a Musician" and "the system makes the work", etc.

if that was entirely true (which of course it isn't, not even for one minute)
then forget this "next work has to advance from the previous" idea, and this pop appeal nonsense.

i mean, as long as the conceptual art and system Music myth, that the artist's subjectivity is not involved in its actual creation, is useful to those who believe it, mostly the artist him/her self, in creating quality works, then i see no harm in it, and they should just do it like that: BECOME THE MACHINE.

There are some noise bands who do this no development thing, Vomir from france is the most known I think, he has stuff on at war with false noise...

massrock
04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I haven't listened to any of this yet and I wonder if it sounds anything at all like the very strange picture I'm getting from this thread. *)

Incidentally, Yasunao Tone's CD destruction > Diskont 94.

zhao
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Incidentally, Yasunao Tone's CD destruction > Diskont 94.

well that's a bit like comparing DMT to weed no?

connect_icut
11-06-2010, 06:12 AM
I like the EP a lot. Similar to what the leaked track (which is from the upcoming LP) lead me to expect but better. Here's my review:

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2010/06/10/oval-oh-thrill-jockey-12/

connect_icut
25-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Just listened to the free download that comes with the 12" and I now realise that I've been listening to the record at the wrong speed! The odd thing is, I actually liked it a lot better at 33 than I do at 45!!!

nochexxx
29-06-2010, 06:46 AM
The odd thing is, I actually liked it a lot better at 33 than I do at 45!!!

the beauty of vinyl. amongst other recs i prefer pole at 33rpm.

connect_icut
29-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Honestly, when I first got the Oval EP, I put it on at 45 - because it's a 12" - then immediately thought: "Oh, that sounds sped up, it must play at 33". I still can't get used to it at 45. It sounds a bit frantic and tinny.

michael
29-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Haha, maybe there's no "glitch revival" as such, but I'm feeling oddly nostalgic thinking about being unsure what speed to play your records at!

nochexxx
14-07-2010, 06:33 PM
faCT (http://www.factmag.com/2010/07/14/oval-i-am-not-an-anti-musician/)interview with the man himself!

connect_icut
14-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Thank you. Lots of food for thought there. "High emo impact" indeed!

nochexxx
15-07-2010, 08:47 AM
decent interview! but have i missed something, wus this about Popp's work being anti-capitalist?

i like the record when there are no drums. perhaps i should commit to buying the record so i can hear it it at a chopped and screwed pace. that could make all the difference.

connect_icut
15-07-2010, 05:09 PM
decent interview! but have i missed something, wus this about Popp's work being anti-capitalist?

Y'know, the whole Mille Plateaux back in the day was very politicized but more in a "critical" way than an "activist" way. I miss the political dimension of glitch. I guess Ultra Red are still doing stuff...

i like the record when there are no drums. perhaps i should commit to buying the record so i can hear it it at a chopped and screwed pace. that could make all the difference.

I love the EP but must admit I haven't listened to it much since I found out what speed it actually plays at.

nochexxx
20-07-2010, 08:24 AM
free Oval over at the Fact (http://www.factmag.com/2010/07/19/download-a-new-free-ep-from-oval-with-a-bonus-track-exclusive-to-fact/) site!

i think i prefer the free stuff. like the new experiments when reduced to a bare skeleton.

connect_icut
20-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Bloody hell! Thanks for this. Can't wait to hear it.

connect_icut
20-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Okay, I'm listening now and I agree. Even though these tracks are mostly about a minute long, they somehow feel more substantial than the stuff on Oh. The thing is, I think Popp has always been plenty "musical", without having to force the issue, so it's nice getting to hear some of the raw, abstract material behind the "proper" EP.

nochexxx
20-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Bloody hell! Thanks for this. Can't wait to hear it.

thank Fact., they're doing a decent job of keeping us Oval headz informed.

incidentally i'm going to have to comb over Oh again. i remember lots of short peices but don't recall anything quite as striking as this free EP.

connect_icut
20-07-2010, 06:34 PM
The B-side of Oh is very similar to Ringtones. The A-side features the more conventionally musical stuff, which is nice but it does seem like these shorter, more abstract pieces are the real deal, rather than just the raw material. I suspect Popp secretly feels that way too.

connect_icut
10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Blimey! Another new free EP!

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/4749/

nochexxx
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Blimey! Another new free EP!

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/4749/

thanks for hipping me to this. i'm feeling these short acoustic regurgitations, looking forward to the upcoming record.

connect_icut
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
thanks for hipping me to this. i'm feeling these short acoustic regurgitations, looking forward to the upcoming record.

It's lovely, innit? I could listen to Popp's whimsical miniatures all day. I also highly recommend the genuinely beautiful video for "Kastell":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e948QjqxBGA

connect_icut
16-08-2010, 05:48 PM
The album has leaked. It's great. Very much a massively expanded version of the Oh EP but the beat-drive first half is - thankfully - rather less beat-driven and rather more abstract than I feared. My only criticism is that he's making a lot of music with a very limited sound palette, so it gets a bit samey. But then that's nothing new.

connect_icut
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Update:

Well, I finally have it on (white) vinyl. The tracks from CD1 are spread across sides one to three and there are six vinyl-only bonus tracks on side four. You get the 50 "ringtones" from CD2 as a free download.

I was a little concerned about how the album would work minus the ringtones. Actually, it works wonderfully well. The tracks are rather more abstract than the ones on side one of the 12", so they're not actually that different from the ringtones - just longer and more structured. Now that I'm used to them, the beats have started to make sense too, as a vital part of the overall sonic landscape.

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2010/08/28/oval-o-thrill-jockey-2cd/
http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/08-brahms-mania.mp3
http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/12-i-heart-musik.mp3