New Oval Album

slowtrain

why can't he just make another 10 volumes of systemisch.

wouldn't it be great: not only for me to have all these functional and efficient sound patterns (no M word) at my disposal,
but the idea of "zero progression" as an artist.
that would be really interesting, a pretty amazing concept and project, and also fit with his whole schtick (which i guess he's out grown) --
the "i am not a Musician" and "the system makes the work", etc.

if that was entirely true (which of course it isn't, not even for one minute)
then forget this "next work has to advance from the previous" idea, and this pop appeal nonsense.

i mean, as long as the conceptual art and system Music myth, that the artist's subjectivity is not involved in its actual creation, is useful to those who believe it, mostly the artist him/her self, in creating quality works, then i see no harm in it, and they should just do it like that: BECOME THE MACHINE.

There are some noise bands who do this no development thing, Vomir from france is the most known I think, he has stuff on at war with false noise...

massrock

I haven't listened to any of this yet and I wonder if it sounds anything at all like the very strange picture I'm getting from this thread. *)

Incidentally, Yasunao Tone's CD destruction > Diskont 94.

connect_icut

Just listened to the free download that comes with the 12" and I now realise that I've been listening to the record at the wrong speed! The odd thing is, I actually liked it a lot better at 33 than I do at 45!!!

connect_icut

Honestly, when I first got the Oval EP, I put it on at 45 - because it's a 12" - then immediately thought: "Oh, that sounds sped up, it must play at 33". I still can't get used to it at 45. It sounds a bit frantic and tinny.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Haha, maybe there's no "glitch revival" as such, but I'm feeling oddly nostalgic thinking about being unsure what speed to play your records at!

nochexxx

harco pronting
decent interview! but have i missed something, wus this about Popp's work being anti-capitalist?

i like the record when there are no drums. perhaps i should commit to buying the record so i can hear it it at a chopped and screwed pace. that could make all the difference.

connect_icut

decent interview! but have i missed something, wus this about Popp's work being anti-capitalist?

Y'know, the whole Mille Plateaux back in the day was very politicized but more in a "critical" way than an "activist" way. I miss the political dimension of glitch. I guess Ultra Red are still doing stuff...

i like the record when there are no drums. perhaps i should commit to buying the record so i can hear it it at a chopped and screwed pace. that could make all the difference.

I love the EP but must admit I haven't listened to it much since I found out what speed it actually plays at.

nochexxx

harco pronting
free Oval over at the Fact site!

i think i prefer the free stuff. like the new experiments when reduced to a bare skeleton.

connect_icut

Okay, I'm listening now and I agree. Even though these tracks are mostly about a minute long, they somehow feel more substantial than the stuff on Oh. The thing is, I think Popp has always been plenty "musical", without having to force the issue, so it's nice getting to hear some of the raw, abstract material behind the "proper" EP.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Bloody hell! Thanks for this. Can't wait to hear it.

thank Fact., they're doing a decent job of keeping us Oval headz informed.

incidentally i'm going to have to comb over Oh again. i remember lots of short peices but don't recall anything quite as striking as this free EP.

connect_icut

The B-side of Oh is very similar to Ringtones. The A-side features the more conventionally musical stuff, which is nice but it does seem like these shorter, more abstract pieces are the real deal, rather than just the raw material. I suspect Popp secretly feels that way too.

connect_icut

thanks for hipping me to this. i'm feeling these short acoustic regurgitations, looking forward to the upcoming record.

It's lovely, innit? I could listen to Popp's whimsical miniatures all day. I also highly recommend the genuinely beautiful video for "Kastell":