New Oval Album

connect_icut

actually, the first oval album, wohntohn, is fantastic. not nearly as much vocals as reviews would lead you to believe, and they're hardly intrusive. they remind me of holger hiller

it has an early version of "do while"

Huh! Well, maybe I'll have to seek that out, after all. I fucking love "Do While", me.

connect_icut

That does sound exciting! An EP, followed by a double CD... And how very Markus Popp to develop a technique for making music based on doing the exact opposite of what Markus Popp would do.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's very different to previous stuff.

Sounds like he decided to go completely the other direction to before, so cheap freeware software rather than his own software. Simple sounds, everything apparently made on a cheap pc. It sounds frantic and improvised, and there's quick fire barrages of percussion, which may or may not be played live by Popp!

Surprisingly.... It works.

12" of about 25 mins and 12 tracks or so imminent, and album coming August.

zhao

there are no accidents
i fucking TOLD him he was a good Musician but he didn't agree back in 2002, preferring to pretend to be only an engineer who "makes situations happen". :rolleyes:

nochexxx

harco pronting
mistakenly presumptuous? i'm wondering if the arrival of the new Oval rec will prompt a revival of traditional computer music.

skull kid

didn't philip sherburne just write a history of glitch puff piece for some mp3 website somewhere? i smell revival... ;)

massrock

mistakenly presumptuous? i'm wondering if the arrival of the new Oval rec will prompt a revival of traditional computer music.
This made me think of Iancu Dumitrescu and his lot. Supposedly they use old PCs and repurposed software to make their electronic music. It's like heavyweight avant garde with total punk spirit. Some of that is seriously the most downright violent and cosmic electronic music I've heard. Great stuff.

connect_icut

didn't philip sherburne just write a history of glitch puff piece for some mp3 website somewhere? i smell revival... ;)

I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents. The thing that worries me is that the "revival" seems to be happening absurdly soon after the event itself (the heyday of glitch was probably around 2000/2001). I think this is indicative of how revivals will work in the future. A genre will spend five-to-ten years in the Black Hole of Cool before being rehabilitated and reintroduced seamlessly into the cultural smorgasbord. If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

slowtrain

I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents. The thing that worries me is that the "revival" seems to be happening absurdly soon after the event itself (the heyday of glitch was probably around 2000/2001). I think this is indicative of how revivals will work in the future. A genre will spend five-to-ten years in the Black Hole of Cool before being rehabilitated and reintroduced seamlessly into the cultural smorgasbord. If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

I've also noticed this revival thing, see this video by Kanye West, and some Lady Gaga stuff has glitch elements, very pop based and hardly glitch in any Oval esque sense, but stilll.....

nochexxx

harco pronting
I've been saying for a while that glitch is coming back into fashion - mainly in reference to the rebirth of Mego, the increased interest in the activities of Raster Noton and the attention being paid to post-glitch acts like Tape and Mountains. As a glitch fan (and artist) I'm all for this but I have to wonder what it really represents.

perhaps my imagination has got the better of me (wouldn't be the first time), but i'm envisioning a reactionary response, instigated by the press (likely?), or artists peeved at the current trend of analogue hipsterism and feel it's the right time to promote Windows and all of it's "bubble economy"
(again)? :slanted:

Last edited:

connect_icut

I think that the appearance of "glitchy" sounds in mainstream pop has a lot to do with technology. It seems like software developers often create VSTs etc. in response to trends in "cutting edge" electronica but everyone's using the same plug-ins and presets, so these trends filter into the mainstream by technological osmosis.

Also, I certainly think there could be a renewal of interest in computer music based on the ever more tedious, seemingly endless fashion for analogue fetishism (I was sick of that shit about five years ago). However, in many ways it's equally hard to get excited about contemporary computing - with software getting less inspiring and less user-friendly with each new generation and the Internet becoming little more than an irritating (and environmentally hazardous) source of mindless tedium. So, it makes sense that a kind of back-to-basics retro computer music ethos might take hold.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
More revivalism?

New Mille Plateaux 'Clicks & Cuts' album out...

Some Promo Guff said:
The influential electronic label MILLE PLATEAUX kickstarts it's newest chapter with it's flagship: A new edition of the legendary CLICKS & CUTS compilation series, that in fact named it's own genre. Volume 5.0 (subtitled "Paradigm Shift") features a totally new generation of young artists giving a 360 degree view on fresh glitch sounds: from Minimal Clicks to IDM-/Dub-ish tracks via Ambient and Sound Art to the 2 'Evac' tracks going to the Artcore and Organic extremes. Each song has it's own distinct character, and with a significantly higher amount in melodic and compository details than it's predecessors, this is probably the most musically substantial CLICKS & CUTS compilation ever.

Got linked to the promo, it has a lot more in common with the kind of thing you can get for free from "melodic IDM" net labels than to the first 2 volumes. Rubbish, in my opinion.

Didn't know there was a 3 or 4 to be honest.

Wikipedia says the label / brand Mille Plateaux has been sold twice, which probably explains the shift in direction. The release doesn't seem much like the old stuff at all. Not that it should sound formally like the old stuff, but doesn't even keep the same spirit.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
If glitch is going to be revived, I think I'd like it to be a bit more of a disruptive element, not just another style of music it's "okay to like".

Hey Connect_icut I think there's a danger of overrating your favourite genre. You often hear of genre purists overrating the capabilities of their favourite styles. It reminds me of something I read about breakcore on a forum wherein someone was expressing their annoyment that their aspirations for breakcore (as unifier of all genres, tribes and political leanings) were being ruined by people doing it wrong.

I love glitch too as I've posted on here before. I'd also like to believe the disruptive formal qualities (and the millennial aspect!) make it immune to being absorbed / accepted / okay to like but I don't think it's realistic, sadly.

zhao

there are no accidents
New Mille Plateaux 'Clicks & Cuts' album out...

Got linked to the promo, it has a lot more in common with the kind of thing you can get for free from "melodic IDM" net labels than to the first 2 volumes. Rubbish, in my opinion.

oh nose... sounds terrible.

Didn't know there was a 3 or 4 to be honest.

i quite liked one of the CDs of that "glitch hop" thing too... not sure if that was a part of the series?

connect_icut

I love glitch too as I've posted on here before. I'd also like to believe the disruptive formal qualities (and the millennial aspect!) make it immune to being absorbed / accepted / okay to like but I don't think it's realistic, sadly.

Obviously, I don't think glitch is immune to being absorbed seamlessly into the mainstream. In fact, my point was that the way audio software is researched and developed pretty much guaranteed that it would be absorbed, to a certain extent. My concern relates to how contemporary post-glitch artists react (or don't react) to this assimilation. I really, really like stuff along the lines of Tape and Mountains but I feel that, more often than not, these artists simply integrate glitchy textures into a decorative audio landscape. I'd like to hear more artists finding new ways to use digital audio errors in a way that is confounding, challenging and uncanny.