PDA

View Full Version : Circle/Yellow/Dubbage

Blackdown
04-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Pitchfork column here (http://pitchfork.com/features/grime-dubstep/7842-grime-dubstep/).

Ory
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
so has this stuff changed at all since the proto-funky days? are they actually doing anything new and exciting?

Tentative Andy
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Interesting article, thanks for posting. Pandemonium by Paul Woolford is siiick, nice to have an ID for it. African Forest is brilliant too. Will give that A-Plus set from Yellow a listen in a wee bit.

I reckon my feelings about this sound are similar to those of a lot of people here - whenever I listen to the Circle shows on Rinse (and I admit that this isn't on a week-in, week-out basis) I tend to quite enjoy them, but I sometimes have a hard time pinpointing exactly what is new and distinctive about what they are doing, in relation to a lot of tech-house and deep house stuff that is about internationally. The main things I could say is that in places their sound is darker and bassier than is common, and in places a bit more percussive; but only in places and not dramatically so.

But then I fully admit that I'm not a big house head, so therefore I'm not always great at making the fine distinctions between substyles that would be more apparent if you were fully immersed in the context. From the pov of someone who's been following this style of house closely for years it's possible that their take on it may respresent a new sort of slant. And of course what they're playing doesn't have to be either ultra-original or ultra-UK-centric in order to be good. But this does tend to be what people look for in the new London sounds, I guess it goes back to what you were saying about the strong drive towards cultural ownership. Anyway, def worth keeping an eye on.

Blackdown
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I sometimes have a hard time pinpointing exactly what is new and distinctive about what they are doing

yup, this is exactly why i wrote this, the contradictions within this scene are fascinating...

FairiesWearBoots
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
yh been interested in what dubbage is,

is Kismet show in Rinse or Circle the best jump off? or both?

Tentative Andy
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM
yup, this is exactly why i wrote this, the contradictions within this scene are fascinating...

Yeah, 'contradictions within the scene' is def an impression I was getting from your article, but like you say, contradictions can sometimes be interesting and productive.

Kentphonik are excellent producers too btw, their stuff seems to be getting picked up by quite a few UK djs across slightly different scenes.

Blackdown
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
yh been interested in what dubbage is,

is Kismet show in Rinse or Circle the best jump off? or both?

this (http://www.sendspace.com/file/2aghj7) should be everyone's starting point, as it's live in the club not radio.

FairiesWearBoots
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
cheers! on the D

slackk
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
That's 5 months old though. and some of those tunes are really really old; Ultra Nate - Love's The Only Drug (Adam Rios Shelter Mix) was first dropped in 2007! (source (http://www.defected.com/store/details/Dennis+Ferrer/In-the-House/913/1575)). "Hey Hey" is basically a high street house tune at this point, Klambu was played out last year, "Sunday Showers" is 2008.

What they're doing here is playing old house in the same way you've lamented the odd old grime tune getting thrown into a set. I know they're grafting away and all credit to them for continuing on with their scene and that but it's hardly anything fresh is it;

"The immediate future for the sound is not obvious, but like dubstep, it has everything at its disposal to translate to clubs worldwide."
It's deep house. That already exists in clubs worldwide. Just because it wasn't that big in "urban london" means it doesn't happen anywhere else.

joe.dfx
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
it's just recontextualizing really isn't it?

it's not like dubstep in the sense that a core group of producers all started writting tunes at the same bpm that were fairly similar in aesthetic either. (feel free to correct if im wrong, but aren't most of the "big" tunes not from the DJs themselves, but outsider-ish producers?)

this is basically a particular club night(s) that has gotten successful at playing house in a london context (but i imagine because some of the people are tied to grime this is somehow more meaningful?)

i tune in to their sets on rinse and like others im not hearing anything unfamiliar really (besides the MCing, which in traditional house sets NEVER happens (thank god).)

not trying to be snarky here either (i swear!) just trying to understand. :)

Leo
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
this http://futurenextlevel.blogspot.com/2009/03/dubbage-interview-with-tippa-from.html seems to play up production values as a key difference. that and lots of well-heeled ladies at club nights.

FairiesWearBoots
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
so is it just about nice dressed girls? instead of the fat nerds at funky nights (*winks at Luka)

joe.dfx
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
so, if the Circle nights are more "dressed up" "adult" "champagne toasting" type nights, are the more UKF focussed nights more come-as-you-are? Are they less mature, as in age & attitude?

is like the dubstep "wobble vs deep" debate? is the type of listener/clubber that different between the two?

Tentative Andy
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
so, if the Circle nights are more "dressed up" "adult" "champagne toasting" type nights, are the more UKF focussed nights more come-as-you-are? Are they less mature, as in age & attitude?

It does seem to be a younger audience for the funky end of things. Most UKF nights that I've heard of in and around London do still have dress codes of some sort, but I get the impression that the crowd might not be as self-consciously dressy/flashy as those at places like Yellow (e.g. Luka posted a vid of one of the If Bar nights and most people were dressed like they would be for a Friday night out in most places up and down the country).

Ory
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
contradictions can sometimes be interesting and productive.

the contradiction being that they disapprove of bland house, then go on to play and produce the same kind of drabness?

Tentative Andy
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Ok so that A Plus set is mostly pretty good. Some of, but obv not all, the tunes do seem to overlap musically with UKF to my ears (not this is really a good thing or bad thing, or even that important, it's just something that occured to me). Nice hard-but-bouncy drums on lots of the tunes though, and a good coherent vibe to it overall - tracky/deep in places but with lots of hook moments to draw you in. I'd happily dance to this sort of thing if I was in London (might have to buy some new gear to get in though). But I do take Slackk's point that quite a few of the tunes weren't all that new even at the time the set was recorded.

joe.dfx
04-08-2010, 07:30 PM
hmm...

more ?s

so then if Circle is making an attempt at something more "refined." is there a backlash against them? do the non-circle supporting crew find them to be pretentious?

i do give them credit for building an audience and creating the crowd they want cuz that is not something easy to do.

Leo
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok so that A Plus set is mostly pretty good. Some of, but obv not all, the tunes do seem to overlap musically with UKF to my ears (not this is really a good thing or bad thing, or even that important, it's just something that occured to me). Nice hard-but-bouncy drums on lots of the tunes though, and a good coherent vibe to it overall - tracky/deep in places but with lots of hook moments to draw you in. I'd happily dance to this sort of thing if I was in London (might have to buy some new gear to get in though). But I do take Slackk's point that quite a few of the tunes weren't all that new even at the time the set was recorded.

you sound, how shall i say it...tentative. ;)

Tentative Andy
04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
you sound, how shall i say it...tentative. ;)

Lol! I am a little unsure of what are the best terms to assess this kind of music on. My basic impression was that the set was good but not quite great. The selection was slightly different to what I'd previously heard from Kismet and the other Circle guys though.

Benny B
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't like Tippa as an MC. Very tiresome.

FairiesWearBoots
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
How ya mean? ;)

lazybrowndog
04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
fayacombo has so much to answer for here ... don't see how this is any different from the sort of summer big room house wooly has played on a sunday in the main room at space for the past few years ... i really like a lot of the tunes but i like house ... and this is definitely house (but with a bit of chatter and in london)

alex
05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
They basically just play deep/tech/old house, but they are definitely HARD diggers, especially Kismet, some of the tracks he pulls out are not only really obscure but >>>>>

Also I downloaded a Circle set from Chans a couple of years ago (2005/6 christmas day) and they were playing some old house/early US/UK Garage with a real tough feeling behind it, and I didn’t recognise not one of the tracks. THAT is the set you need to check if you haven’t heard them live before.

It’s annoying though as the age limitations on their raves are normally 23+, I would happily go but don’t want to risk not getting in.

outraygeous
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
controversial but,

Most of these DJs started with garage and never got in and now they are doing this to emulate the garage scene?

Thats probably a lame post, i don't know how to get my point across.

It all sounds interesting tho

Blackdown
05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
That's 5 months old though. and some of those tunes are really really old; Ultra Nate - Love's The Only Drug (Adam Rios Shelter Mix) was first dropped in 2007! (source (http://www.defected.com/store/details/Dennis+Ferrer/In-the-House/913/1575)). "Hey Hey" is basically a high street house tune at this point, Klambu was played out last year, "Sunday Showers" is 2008.

What they're doing here is playing old house in the same way you've lamented the odd old grime tune getting thrown into a set. I know they're grafting away and all credit to them for continuing on with their scene and that but it's hardly anything fresh is it;

"The immediate future for the sound is not obvious, but like dubstep, it has everything at its disposal to translate to clubs worldwide."
It's deep house. That already exists in clubs worldwide. Just because it wasn't that big in "urban london" means it doesn't happen anywhere else.

i'm loving this thread as it totally mirrors my bi-polar feeling about this scene. on one hand it is "just house".

on the other absolutely everything around it sets off my 'this is next' alarm. they have a network of clubs, existing out in east london with the same crowd as garage, they have shows on pirate radio, they're digging for new beats, have a coherence of vision and have taking ownership of a direction, and are quickly moving to take the means of production into their own hands too.

yeah you say it's 'deep house' and it exists elsewhere, which it does but once all those other factors come into play history says things evolve quickly and once they've taken ownership they find their own sound which can grow and be exported.

benjybars
05-08-2010, 06:04 PM
^^^

yeah but surely it should have got more interesting by now? Circle have been around for a good while now.

I'd definitely still take Funky over Dubbage. And there's nuff fit girls at Funky raves, even if Tippa insists his ones are finer...

wascal
05-08-2010, 06:19 PM
on the other absolutely everything around it sets off my 'this is next' alarm. they have a network of clubs, existing out in east london with the same crowd as garage, they have shows on pirate radio, they're digging for new beats, have a coherence of vision and have taking ownership of a direction, and are quickly moving to take the means of production into their own hands too.

Nah, its deep house.

slackk
05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Yep. And they've been doing the same thing for quite some time with very little change.

gremino
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
It's time to place your bets: is dubbage going to be the next chapter of the 'nuum ;)

Tho I think it is going to be. This's just the same conversation Dissensus had in the beginning of funky!!!! :mad:

Tentative Andy
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Tho I think it is going to be. This's just the same conversation Dissensus had in the beginning of funky!!!! :mad:

I think the point that keeps coming up is that Circle and likeminded people have been about for just as long as the early UKF guys, but we have yet to really see their sound develop in the way that funky has. I'm in two minds myself though, it's a slow-moving scene for sure but it has some potential.

Edit: the whole cycle of 'place your bets on what will be the chapter of the nuum' gets to be very tiresome though. But I suppose for better or worse it is a part of our musical culture.

Big Nose
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I dont quite understand what Dubbage is. Is it the deeper/darker side of Funky?

I'd like to hear what they are producing themselves if anyone has any links of their own productions.

hint
05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm in two minds myself though, it's a slow-moving scene for sure but it has some potential.

Edit: the whole cycle of 'place your bets on what will be the chapter of the nuum' gets to be very tiresome though. But I suppose for better or worse it is a part of our musical culture.

Potential for what though? A 350 page thread on Dissensus?

I reckon they're doing alright for themselves as it is.

FairiesWearBoots
05-08-2010, 07:41 PM
by the sounds of it, Deep house with some Gucci shades on, Armani pants and a bottle of Mo;)

DeephouseXFunkyXBubbling crew?

slackk
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
God I hate the fucking nuum. Gone.

Tentative Andy
05-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I dont quite understand what Dubbage is. Is it the deeper/darker side of Funky?

Blackdown's article explains this much better than I can - but basically no, not really. It's a scene based around a group of London djs playing various different kind of international house music. The unifying strand to the types of house that they play, if indeed there is one, is that they tend to fairly deep, dubby and percussive. I think that currently some UK producers associated with those djs are starting to make their own tunes influenced by those sounds, but so far not much has actually emerged.

As far as I can see, the main point of overlap with funky (other than them both being a London thing) is that some of the international house tunes that are anthems with the dubbage crowd - especially the South African ones - are also ones that some UKF djs will draw for when they want to play non-UK tunes. Otherwise there's not much interaction, because the two camps are fairly suspicious of each other and like to slag each other off, and also because again there's not that many homegrown UK dubbage tunes anyway. I wouldn't really think of it as a dark/deep version of UK funky, because funky isn't the main jumping-off point that it's coming from.

Tentative Andy
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Potential for what though? A 350 page thread on Dissensus?

Hahaha - potential to produce a decent ammount of new tunes that are a little different from the house music they are playing now, I guess. Like I said before, it's not essential and I quite like what they're playing already, but it tend to be what people look for.

gremino
05-08-2010, 07:50 PM
God I hate the fucking nuum. Gone.
Sorry :D

mms
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
there is tons of good interesting house - some really good producers doing smart things but i don't hear alot of that in the whole dubbage thing, although i do like some of those tracks you mentioned, they just seem to be pulling from different areas of house without any notion of tracks having a background, natonality etc, which is fairly interesting i suppose, alot of work scouring the house sections of juno i guess.

Sick Boy
05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Love or hate the 'nuum, if deep house under a pseudonym is its next mutation, then the 'nuum has truly died for everybody. Wot U Call It? Oh right - deep house.

alex
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
They do make a point of calling it ‘our sound, our music’ however I think that is more a reference to them being the only ones playing that sort of sound at the time on déjŕ, not creating a new musical movement.

Would never of thought this conversation was going to mention the poxy nuum, shame.

hucks
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Would never of thought this conversation was going to mention the poxy nuum, shame.

Really? This is dissensus, everything comes back to the nuum, and and then an argument about the nuum. It's a continuum all of its own.
;)

Tentative Andy
06-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Ok so I asked this in the funky thread but it might make more sense to ask it here - on the Yellow ad that Rinse is always playing at the moment, does anyone know the name of the second tune played? It's the one that's basically just a rolling beat. Pretty sure I've heard Oneman play it before. Could be some really well-known house tune for all I know. Really like it anyway.

(I have nothing more whatsoever to add to the debate about dubbage btw, not planning on using the n word today ;) ).

Ory
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
do you have a clip of it andy? rinse doesn't seem to leave the ads in their podcasts anymore.

Tentative Andy
06-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Might have one somewhere about, gimme a minute.

Benny B
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I strongly suspect that most of the people on here whinging about Reynold's writings about the nuum haven't actually took the time to read his stuff properly. If you did then you'd see that the concept of the nuum isn't really all that controversial at all, its mainly just a description of whats actually happened and not really a theory at all. What's making it controversial is all the reactionary misreadings of his writing.

He's set out his position quite clearly (for what seems like the umpteenth time now) in this new piece: http://dj.dancecult.net/index.php/journal/article/view/47/79 (http://dj.dancecult.net/index.php/journal/article/view/47/79). It's all quite straight forward stuff really, not really much to argue with if you ask me.

Tentative Andy
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
^ Right here it is on a Oneman/Jackmaster set, so you get a longer stretch of the tune than on the Rinse ads:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/790640845c0a3388/

Like I say, it could be a big tune already, but I just don't know it.

Sectionfive
06-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Was just about ask about the Rinse ads, always thought the music on them was very dodgy.
Has anyone actually been to any of these nights ? I believe Circle and Yellow exist obviously, but Id be sceptical about Dubbage if all they are doing is djing. Its not hiphop.

Are there any productions from this camp ?
Because they can hardly look down on the funky lot if all they are doing is play Rej and calling it Dubbage. Its giving something a name before it exists

Where are the mutations ?

dystopia
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Also I downloaded a Circle set from Chans a couple of years ago (2005/6 christmas day) and they were playing some old house/early US/UK Garage with a real tough feeling behind it, and I didn’t recognise not one of the tracks. THAT is the set you need to check if you haven’t heard them live before.

any chance of you digging this out and uploading it? I'm intrigued

Sectionfive
07-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Its still not a scene till harry hill takes the piss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqaGhDo_bCA) out of it

alex
09-08-2010, 07:39 AM
@sectionfive http://soundcloud.com/dj-ic (also DJ Feva makes tunes im sure & A+ has a s/cloud, unsure if he makes tunes)

Also did you read that article? I think it's a bit short sighted to think all they are doing is playing rej & calling funky's production values shite.

Although i'm with you on dubbage not being a scene, it definitely isnt.

@Dystopia will check for it tonight & re-up for you, hyper set man

Fundamental
09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
My thoughts on this thing are mixed.

I personally respect them for building a scene and doing their own thing but they do seem quite self-celebratory about the whole thing. I'm thinking about that intro to a mix I heard, probably a circle one where some guy gives a monologue about how no one believed in them, and now thousands flock to the rave or whatever. I cringed.

Also from a music perspective, however they dress it up they are not doing anything remotely original as jungle, UK garage, grime or even wobblestep or uk funky. But I think essentially this is not the point or the draw of the scene. It is the fact that they have a scene where sexy girls dance, everyone has a good time and the scene hasn't yet imploded from bandwagon jumpers and violence.

To the geek musos on here like ourselves, this scene is never gonna have the allure of grime, funky or any 'other' music. Sonically it is not experimental or progressive, if anything it is the first London scene to be truely regressive. Another signifier of the post-continuum argument perhaps? Besides... watching fit girls dancing whilst you are drunk is a much better way to spend time than musing over new genres and scenes.

Lastly I have to agree that essentially this is essentially deep house rebranded. And the only difference between this and the Sunday scene is that there are already UK and even London-based deep house producers off of your and my radars that play to thousands and thousands of people worldwide, in places like Italy for instance. Dubbage is gonna do little to affect or them, beyond make them chuckle. It certainly won't ever eclipse that scene worldwide, it is a long established institution like house/dnb.

In the broadband era London is no-longer centre of the dance universe. Don't expect this scene to explode like UKG. I doubt dubbage will incubate like the sucess stories before it. This won't be a tale of six mates from Croydon like dubstep was IMO. It just doesn't fill enough of a gap beyond the fact that there is no respectable music in London for girls to dance to and for guys to feel they own.

Blackdown
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
we'll see...

Sectionfive
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the only problem I have, and its a small one.
Is that with the big shift to house in the last few years, so much of what's supposed to be new, isn't.
There are tons of great records, producers and djs but alot of the stuff around this area is being made by people who did their best to avoid house for the last twenty years and its very hard to get excited when your told this is something new.

Tippa says "[Dubbage is] more intelligent,". He can only be referring to the crowd, because Roska and the rest could have made any of the tracks I've heard so far.

Saying all that Im looking in from the outside and Blackdown's 'this is next' alarm is possibly better tuned then mine at the moment. Its early days

Blackdown
09-08-2010, 12:33 PM
i genuinely have that feeling but share all the concerns of the naysayers on this thread. that's why i waited about 5 months to write the piece before deciding to go for it and see how everyone weighs up both sides.

Sectionfive
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Four to the floor was once a rhythmic trap remember.
When that happens it will be very hard to break from it again.

gremino
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Also from a music perspective, however they dress it up they are not doing anything remotely original as jungle, UK garage, grime or even wobblestep or uk funky.

I have to agree that essentially this is essentially deep house rebranded.

Sonically it is not experimental or progressive, if anything it is the first London scene to be truely regressive.

Just like things said about funky house. There isn't still much UK productions around but there will be.

Don't expect this scene to explode like UKG. I doubt dubbage will incubate like the sucess stories before it. This won't be a tale of six mates from Croydon like dubstep was IMO.
Yeah tbh I also think it will not be as big as those genres/movements (atleast in terms of musical innovation), but this is just like usg -> ukg, us house -> funky. Only difference I see is that they'v reached bigger audience without own productions. But tunes will come.

alex
09-08-2010, 12:58 PM
because Roska and the rest could have made any of the tracks I've heard so far.

except he didnt, and they don't sound like his productions.

Sectionfive
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM

We'll see. Its house for now
I won't nail my colours to the mast just yet.

outraygeous
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
The thing with London scenes is like how Bernie Mac describes sex

'aint nothing but 50 pumps'

exchange the pumps for tunes. The people who go to these events all probably listened to garage/jungle/funky/dancehall

they want to hear the big tunes, not interested in the new tracks.

these London scenes just copy and re hash thing when something gets popular.

one example from grime is when wiley did something, everyone copied.

'Dubbage' will not be the new scene. Its not different enough from anything else.

alex
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I dont think Yellow is a 'bangerthon' if that's what you are reffering to? I hardly think a crew would get this much exposure, an opportunity to host a rinse cd and a regular slot for playing 'show me love' remixes week in week out.

Fundamental
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Just like things said about funky house. There isn't still much UK productions around but there will be.

Yeah tbh I also think it will not be as big as those genres/movements (atleast in terms of musical innovation), but this is just like usg -> ukg, us house -> funky. Only difference I see is that they'v reached bigger audience without own productions. But tunes will come.

Yeah I hope they do. But sonically funky is a new area. There wasn't much house on the UK radar that had the soca/gallop before it. That was new territory, it demanded a new moniker.

Taking a tune from 2008 or deep house from america or europe and slapping the 'dubbage' tag on it is not genre creation. If something results from that like us garage-> 2-step then brilliant, but anything at this stage is nothing more than courageous prophecy. If I go by what I hear on rinse and the sets on the net.

I would liken what is going on at the moment to the rare groove explosion in the 80s. It's currently more of a collage of tracks, although it does have the capacity to become more than that

I'm not saying it won't happen, and I hope it does. There is a maturity and a level headedness to the tunes that the dubbage guys are supporting, that has been lacking in london since UKG. But if you don't have distinct tunes and a proper creative base of original productions to plunder then I think it naive to market old corn as new seedlings. Just call the music 'house music' and get over trying to engineer a scene with a new name for the sake of control.

alex
09-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Just call the music 'house music' and get over trying to engineer a scene with a new name for the sake of control.

yea agree completely.

Ory
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM

but in 2007 there were already producers like apple, fingaprint and swift jay switching things up. that's what got people excited.

meanwhile, what has dubbage accomplished? if i've got it right, their scene is just as old as funky. they just don't have that "push things forwards" drive.

rubberdingyrapids
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
dubbage is kinda like dubstep to funky's grime.

Richard Carnage
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM

The TWC EP sort of fits, no?

Agreed on a lot of points here. There needs to be some good productions coming out, otherwise they're just a bunch of mates playing a range of bouncy tech-house. Just because it's shirt & shoes and they're getting 2000 people into their parties doesn't make it particularly special.

Richard Carnage
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
dubbage is kinda like dubstep to funky's grime.

No, it's not. It's just house, repackaged under an awful name! :D
As stated previously, at least funky brought some new rhythmic templates and a fresh sound palette to the table.

slackk
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
So have any of you been to any of these Circle/Yellow raves then? Blackdown?

If you're writing an entire column without even witnessing it off the basis of a recorded set from February it's a bit disappointing really.

Sick Boy
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM

If you're writing an entire column without even witnessing it off the basis of a recorded set from February it's a bit disappointing really.

Conjecture is the mother of music journalism.

alex
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Really like the clap for house ep by IC, goes really well with some wBeeza bits, gonna upload that set in a mo, proper hype

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bckx3q

CIRCLE XMAS DAY SPESH

Tentative Andy
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Forever Young on IC's soundcloud is not bad I reckon, some of the other productions he has on there are a bit too linear for me, that's just personal taste though.

samdiamond
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
on rinse right now. that last tune was great, no idea what it was

Blackdown
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM

dasapar slackk, and since a few of your own tunes have been a bit nicey nicey deep housey, I wouldn't throw that much mud. I've done three full length interviews with key players in the scene before writing that piece, and as I've said from the start I feel both sides of the argument here and after months of sitting on it felt it would be better discussed in the open, regardless of whether dubbage is the next ting or just tech house re-contextualised.

slackk
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Nah you're right on that front in terms of speaking to them, wasn't intended to be as much of a send as it came across. Ignore me long day.

outraygeous
10-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Really like the clap for house ep by IC, goes really well with some wBeeza bits, gonna upload that set in a mo, proper hype

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bckx3q

CIRCLE XMAS DAY SPESH

This set is good but it could of been from 96 instead of 06

i guess this was just meant to be a garage set

im skipping thru it now

alex
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
yea sorry i did state that it is an all garage set, no house whatsoever? did i, im sure i did!

**when i say no house whatsoever i mean the house they normally play, i.e deep & techy

unknown soulja
10-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Kismet's Loose Screw is sick.
Looking forward to hearing more OG productions from this camp.

Ory
10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
what's the first tune in that A-Plus set blackdown posted?

Tentative Andy
10-08-2010, 04:31 PM
what's the first tune in that A-Plus set blackdown posted?

That's DJ Sdoko - World On Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwAlJrpLGb0
It's a South African production iirc. Great tune, been getting lots of play from funky and kinda post-dubstep type guys too. Think there's various remixes of it kicking about.

Ory
10-08-2010, 08:00 PM
ahh yeah, it was in that one jam city mix too.

sounds just like a dj champion production or something.

continuum
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
sounds just like a dj champion production or something.

sounds very similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdssG1hBSCo

Ory
11-08-2010, 12:28 AM
which in turn sounds similar to

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7ia5fCbqDk&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7ia5fCbqDk&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Blackdown
13-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Full Tippa and Kismet interview (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/08/circle-completed.html).

Benny B
14-08-2010, 09:52 AM
^^^ Sorry, but the circle crew come across as quite charmless and dull to me.

If we're talking about pendulum-swings in the nuum, then I would have guessed the next thing after Funky would be moving away from house, not towards it. I don't think we'll see this until funky starts to peter out anyway, and that seems a while off yet. Its too early to call, but I seriously doubt this dubbage thing is the one.

edit: Don't like how they've named it themselves either. Aside from the fact that dubbage is a terrible name, it all seems a bit contrived, like they're trying too hard. Previous London dance music genres seem to have acquired their names in a much less contrived and more natural way. I know its just a name, but I think this is quite a significant and telling point.

Benny B
14-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Tippa: Just means it’s something that we brought to a new generation. This is what we push, what we fully believe in, what we want to create when making music but with our influence, and not influences from the states like most UK artist portray in their music. Because let’s be honest, a lot of deep house can be boring and shit, a large portion of it.

He's kidding himself here isn't he?

Blackdown
14-08-2010, 12:56 PM
^^^ Sorry, but the circle crew come across as quite charmless and dull to me.

If we're talking about pendulum-swings in the nuum, then I would have guessed the next thing after Funky would be moving away from house, not towards it..

The elephant in the room here is grime.

if you move away from house, through uk funky and keep going you get grime (less groove > more drop/rewinds, less straight house beats > more ruff riddims, less hosts > more MCs, less house > more rap/dancehall influence, less niceness > more rudeness, less dressing up > more hats & hoods) and for this lot who saw it happen to uk garage, they dont want it to happen again.

so they're going the opposite way: over the last 2 years, there's been a whole wing of producers not trying to take uk funky ruder but trying to out-minimal each other. Wonder, Geeneus, Bossman/Perempay even Terror Danjah slyly are all making increasingly housier house. now i'm not saying it's entirely my thing but i can see the direction these guys are going in and when heads from this scene tell me they're playing at proper underground ghetto raves and it's the housey stuff that smashes it not UK funky, you know something's up.

this is probably baffling for a lot of heads on here who know all about minimal or regular house in a very different cultural context, but it's fairly new to much of their audience (hence big anthems can 'break' in this scene much later than in mainstream house). this is just the way things seem to be going.

Benny B
14-08-2010, 01:33 PM
The elephant in the room here is grime.

if you move away from house, through uk funky and keep going you get grime (less groove > more drop/rewinds, less straight house beats > more ruff riddims, less hosts > more MCs, less house > more rap/dancehall influence, less niceness > more rudeness, less dressing up > more hats & hoods) and for this lot who saw it happen to uk garage, they dont want it to happen again.

They're a very paranoid bunch then...

For me funky encompasses all these things right now, thats why its the best london scene since UK garage at its peak. Its a broad church whilst still retaining a distinct sound. Any given Marcus Nasty or Petchy set for example has a great mix of all of those yin/yang elements you list above. These DJs simply trump the Circle guys on every front. If funky seemed to be going too dark and aggy, or too poppy overall then I could see how that would upset the balance, but I don't think thats happening yet.

It seems the main bug bear the Circle lot have with funky is the old 'production values' chestnut, again a bit of a strawman. Surely the best-fit historical parallel to this would be jungle turning into intelligent dnb? Not sure I want to follow that path myself.

Tentative Andy
14-08-2010, 03:20 PM
They're a very paranoid bunch then...

For me funky encompasses all these things right now, thats why its the best london scene since UK garage at its peak. Its a broad church whilst still retaining a distinct sound. Any given Marcus Nasty or Petchy set for example has a great mix of all of those yin/yang elements you list above. These DJs simply trump the Circle guys on every front. If funky seemed to be going too dark and aggy, or too poppy overall then I could see how that would upset the balance, but I don't think thats happening yet.

It seems the main bug bear the Circle lot have with funky is the old 'production values' chestnut, again a bit of a strawman.

Agree with all of this, unsurpirsingly.
I can see that what Martin is talking about is prob going on as a process, but tbh it's not a process that I'm particularly supportive of. As you say, their paranoia is making them rule out so many exciting musical elements as potential influences, that it's no wonder that people are wondering how can they develop, where can they go. They're backing themselves into a corner.
This doesn't mean that I might not like some of the music the Circle guys play, but it does mean that as things stands I'm not interested in championing them as some kind of movement, especially if this means pitting them 'against' funky in some way.

Sectionfive
14-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Its abit like the Niche/speed garage debate isn't it ?

I caught Kismet last night and while the tunes where good for the most part, none of his set sounded like anything different from all the various things that are around now. So the jury will be out for a few months yet

We still haven't heard from anyone thats been to these night yet have we? so maybe its a 'vibe' kinda thing if ya know what I mean.

benjybars
14-08-2010, 05:03 PM
We still haven't heard from anyone thats been to these night yet have we? so maybe its a 'vibe' kinda thing if ya know what I mean.

yeah. the nights are probably great if you're the kind of guy who can pull all the fit women that go there and then take them home to your penthouse and make love to them all night in your champagne-filled jacuzzi in canary wharf...

Sectionfive
14-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Right, definitely not the music for me then...

Blackdown
14-08-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah. the nights are probably great if you're the kind of guy who can pull all the fit women that go there and then take them home to your penthouse and make love to them all night in your champagne-filled jacuzzi in canary wharf...

yeah except when i go out i like to, y'know, have a break from the everyday routine... ;)

lazybrowndog
16-08-2010, 02:05 PM
"Its just deep house but from a younger generations prospectus. "

exactly

Blackdown
16-08-2010, 02:41 PM
"Its just deep house but from a younger generations prospectus. "

exactly

so are half of the *ahem* post dubstep sounds right now... and what?

outraygeous
16-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Blackdown,

I was thinking about your statement about this being the next big thing and initially i thought that was wrong but now I could see it happening.

The big scenes always come from where Londoners go out to party. No offence to people not from London but it seems that in these trendy east London places the general pubic don't reaaaaaally know whats going on.

Where as all the big scenes to emerge from London had a huge following of actual Londoners?

Kinda less about the music but its where you can go with people you know/in your circle.

slackk
16-08-2010, 04:33 PM
If you believe in the concept of the 'nuum then it's quite apparent (from my perspective) that the rap scene is the real next step. Ex-grime MCs and up and coming kids, ex & current grime and funky producers, it's the music of choice for the youth coming up and the "older" generations don't like it.

It's the real progression.

Tentative Andy
16-08-2010, 04:50 PM
^ Yeah I think you're right that people underestimate the importance of the road rap thing, it does seem like grime during its expanding stages in terms of the massive upswell of mcs and crews wanting to get involved, putting out hundreds of mixtapes, putting out hundreds of mixtapes and youtube vids etc.

I was going to write another great big talky bit but can't be bothered. I accpet the continuum theory pretty much completely, and I wish the Circle/dubbage guys the best of luck in developing their sound. Basically the only problem I have is that often in the rush to latch onto the 'next big think', all of the current good music being produced is forgotten and declared deadout. We've seen this move pulled on grime loads of times, going back to about 2006 probably, but it's still producing good music now, even if it's not too strong as a scene. Similarly I reckon funky and other 130-140 type sounds have the potential to run a good deal further in terms of producing new, innovative music - the fact that maybe less people are raving to them in London now is largely irrelevant to me at this stage.

Edit: that turned out to be quite long anyway, hah.

benjybars
16-08-2010, 05:33 PM
If you believe in the concept of the 'nuum then it's quite apparent (from my perspective) that the rap scene is the real next step. Ex-grime MCs and up and coming kids, ex & current grime and funky producers, it's the music of choice for the youth coming up and the "older" generations don't like it.

road rap guys should jump on some dubbage beats... would love to see giggs clash tippa

rubberdingyrapids
16-08-2010, 05:52 PM
*imagines giggs on a kismet set*

i dont think the 'nuum' really has much legs anymore. and i dont say that as anti-nuumist. the 'theory' does hold true, even if it is just a hifalutin way of saying something that should kinda be common sense to anyone paying attention to this music.

anyway, from everything thats going on right now, theres so many diff threads now, its hard to really say any of them are pointing the way forward more than the others. theyre all equally vital (relatively). and theyre all kinda intersecting on some level (for better or worse, def worse in some cases where i feel some styles/producers dont have much identity, theyre just absorbing everything). i mean, theres 8 bit grime, which crosses over to ikonika, which meets the oneman/bok bok type circles, and they all intersect with funky, and house, and then dubbage, and so on and so on.

god im just repeating 'the borders have fallen!' stuff from a year or so ago arent i, lol, but yeah, i think thats why its hard to really get a grip on whats the future, or what the next big thing is. i mean, uk mc-based music is here to stay now, thats for sure, but thats its own strand now surely. one that will likely just pick up on whatever is about and is more to do with MCs than any particular type of beats/production. the very nature of it being about mcs is that they can vocal pop, grime, dubstep, funky, whatever, but its still post-grime british mc-driven music.

Slothrop
16-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I accpet the continuum theory pretty much completely, and I wish the Circle/dubbage guys the best of luck in developing their sound. Basically the only problem I have is that often in the rush to latch onto the 'next big think', all of the current good music being produced is forgotten and declared deadout.
Yeah, the continuum is still an identifiable thing and I wouldn't argue with that, but what's dodgy now is the amount of time invested in debating what its next mutation is going to be on the assumption that being the next stage of the hardcore continuum automatically means you're going to render all other dance music obsolete overnight. And yeah, the cart-before-the-horse thing of people rushing to rubbish everything that was still going on in grime and dubstep because it made for a more interesting article about funky if you could say that grime was dead in the water and dubstep was nothing but knuckle-dragging macho wobblers.

(Also the sense that there's been a gradual dissipation of energy from 93 onwards is something that Reynolds' analysis doesn't really approach. But that's something for another thread.)

Corpsey
19-08-2010, 07:07 PM
This is partly the reason I'm enjoying listening to hip-hop at the moment, I think. I can't be arsed with the constant ''but is it original?''/''where is it going?'' voice in my head that accompanies listening to any new electronic music. I haven't got a clue about hip-hop anymore, so I just go for whatever sounds good to me.

I suppose thinking about music in that way is part of the reason Dissensus exists, so I won't complain about it too much. The greatest moments I've had listening to music have been when I haven't had a thought in my head, though. i.e. jumping around to Todd Edwards after about eight sambuca shots. :confused:

Benny B
19-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Its not a clubbing scene though is it. Then again I suppose grime wasn't really either so who knows, you could be on to something there. I liked quite a few of the tunes on that comp you made a while ago and it would be nice to see it develop into something more distinctive. Is there any clubs that play this sort of stuff or is it purely a road thing?

And what ex grime/funky producers are on to it?

Big Nose
20-08-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/arrhsf

Dont know much about this track apart from its produced by Lighter and its coming out on Kismet's label, Kismatic Recordings I think its called.

computer_rock
21-08-2010, 10:45 AM
^ Right here it is on a Oneman/Jackmaster set, so you get a longer stretch of the tune than on the Rinse ads:

what is this?

benjybars
21-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Its not a clubbing scene though is it. Then again I suppose grime wasn't really either so who knows, you could be on to something there. I liked quite a few of the tunes on that comp you made a while ago and it would be nice to see it develop into something more distinctive. Is there any clubs that play this sort of stuff or is it purely a road thing?

And what ex grime/funky producers are on to it?

grime most definitely was a clubbing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht2t21qVa3Q&p=518FFB28995CF971&playnext=1&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkxBGEkCqsI&p=518FFB28995CF971&playnext=1&index=1

Benny B
22-08-2010, 04:24 PM
^^^yeah yeah, i knew about eskimo dance etc. I suppose I meant clubby music in a more traditional sense rather than the 'blokes jumping up and down doing gunfingers with rewinds every 30 seconds' sense ;)

hint
22-08-2010, 04:35 PM
^^^yeah yeah, i knew about eskimo dance etc. I suppose I meant clubby music in a more traditional sense rather than the 'blokes jumping up and down doing gunfingers with rewinds every 30 seconds' sense ;)

Yeah - isn't a bunch of people facing a performer on a stage and moshing a gigging scene?

alex
23-08-2010, 09:32 AM
yea, going grime raving was fucking deadout, especially eski dance at rex, pointless.

edit i meant young man standing

matmustard
24-08-2010, 01:23 PM
i'm staying on the fence for a minute with the continuum chat, but there a section at the end of kismet's adults only set from the end of last year, starting with black coffee's (still beautiful) superman, into dubbage, then some flying high hat business and it truly does sound like the future. lr groove's (gargantuan) the groove fits in here too, also jook 10 (do it right) / and (some) sunday roast (underground / deeper, or whatever it's called)
i'm too young for africa centre and the fridge, but it puts my in mind of soul 2 soul days - informed, seerious ravers an ting
deep house? yeah kinda (for now), but the issue of circle mans building their own beats is crucial - just as day dot funky dj's drew for / were inspired by (us) funky house before grime got on it - initially the pool's shallow. As has been mentioned an imperitive building block for scene is ownership, which in turn is realised by input.
and the whole 'left for dead' talk is bollocks. searching for new doesn't come wholly at the expense of what came before it, not that anyone actually saying that anyway..

mms
24-08-2010, 04:26 PM
i'm staying on the fence for a minute with the continuum chat, but there a section at the end of kismet's adults only set from the end of last year, starting with black coffee's (still beautiful) superman, into dubbage, then some flying high hat business and it truly does sound like the future. lr groove's (gargantuan) the groove fits in here too, also jook 10 (do it right) / and (some) sunday roast (underground / deeper, or whatever it's called)
i'm too young for africa centre and the fridge, but it puts my in mind of soul 2 soul days - informed, seerious ravers an ting
deep house? yeah kinda (for now), but the issue of circle mans building their own beats is crucial - just as day dot funky dj's drew for / were inspired by (us) funky house before grime got on it - initially the pool's shallow. As has been mentioned an imperitive building block for scene is ownership, which in turn is realised by input.
and the whole 'left for dead' talk is bollocks. searching for new doesn't come wholly at the expense of what came before it, not that anyone actually saying that anyway..

soul 2 soul etc was rare groove and that just slighly before house or in opposition to raving when house came in - but yeah similar vibes - see uk garage also.

matmustard
24-08-2010, 04:42 PM
^ depends on the definition of raving, but i'd image we agree

Corpsey
24-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Finally got round to listening to this A Plus set @ Yellow. Great stuff, love all the uplifting vocal tunes mixed in with the harder beats. Nothing that 'new' about it to my ears but what the fuck... I would like to see this set live, wearing high heels and lipstick, drinking white wine and never farting.

matmustard
26-08-2010, 10:39 AM
lol, i reckon luka was right about your wit corpsey.
you might also want to check the dubplate wonder set from havana bar that bare bones put up in the funky thread - soulful/vocal for the first 45 or so, then a bit 'arder (not too hard tho, being napa an all) for the remaining half hour or so, until it abruptly cuts out (on my copy at least)
kismet's dubbage vol1 (from last year again..) is also a good un, holla if you want links

matmustard
28-08-2010, 01:48 PM
actually that adults only mix is from march (which makes sense, as there's a crossover in content with dubplate wonder's napa set).
i'm waiting on audio from kismet at sef kombo's rave up west last week. maybe people will view things a bit differently once they've heard it, or maybe it's just that the vast majority of this stuff is new to me, but the sound is fresh to my ears and i'm enjoying it.

Webstarr
29-08-2010, 12:14 PM
lol, i reckon luka was right about your wit corpsey.
you might also want to check the dubplate wonder set from havana bar that bare bones put up in the funky thread - soulful/vocal for the first 45 or so, then a bit 'arder (not too hard tho, being napa an all) for the remaining half hour or so, until it abruptly cuts out (on my copy at least)
kismet's dubbage vol1 (from last year again..) is also a good un, holla if you want links

can you bringthat kismet set please

matmustard
30-08-2010, 01:13 PM
dubbage vol 1 http://www.filefront.com/14955433/Dubbage-Files-Vol-1.zip/
tell me this - alongside smoove kriminal on funky - isn't riight on top of things now..

matmustard
31-08-2010, 03:30 PM
waiting on audio from kismet at sef kombo's rave

DOWNLOAD (LINK BELOW)
(PC: RIGHT CLICK AND ‘SAVE AS’ MAC: DOWNLOAD LINKED FILE AS)
http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=tiltwoparties.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftiltwoparties.files.wordpress.com %2F2010%2F08%2Fkismet-tippa.mp3&sref=http%3A%2F%2Ftiltwoparties.wordpress.com%2Fti l-two-the-circle-edition%2Fkismet-tippa%2F

listen

Tentative Andy
31-08-2010, 04:26 PM
^ Downloading now Mat. Thanks for all the links, I admire your enthusiasm. Had a listen to the Kismet Dubbage Files Vol 1 last night, quite liked it. It seemed less rhythmically exciting than the A Plus set and was more 4x4 than most stuff I would usually listen to, but in a way this was a nice change, had a nice sort of smooth groove going through it.
Really the only thing that puts me off with this stuff is the way they promote themselves (Tippa especially, twat): i.e slagging off other sounds and presenting themselves as miles ahead of everyone, when they're clearly not. Once I put all that next-level rhetoric out of mind I can enjoy it as it is.

matmustard
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
@benufo, what's the name of that dom haywood beat you and circle were on last summer?

alex
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
@ matt tune is either sunshowers or UCSM (i think they are the letters)

matmustard
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
ta mate

alex
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
coming on blunted robots soon aswell, big up dom man

matmustard
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
good to hear alex.
ic’s education hq 3 cd from last month. some great tunes – and tippa’s intro statement may be considered pertinent..
http://www.filefront.com/17240320/education-hq-cd3.mp3/

Tomas
13-09-2010, 02:02 PM
You can catch Kismet (along with man like Tom Lea) at Tactile on 25th September:

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?11179-Tactile-with-Kismet-Tom-Lea-amp-DJ-Esinn-25-September

Corpsey
17-09-2010, 09:58 PM
DOWNLOAD (LINK BELOW)
(PC: RIGHT CLICK AND ‘SAVE AS’ MAC: DOWNLOAD LINKED FILE AS)
http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=tiltwoparties.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftiltwoparties.files.wordpress.com %2F2010%2F08%2Fkismet-tippa.mp3&sref=http%3A%2F%2Ftiltwoparties.wordpress.com%2Fti l-two-the-circle-edition%2Fkismet-tippa%2F

listen

cheers!

matmustard
23-09-2010, 11:08 AM
tracklisting for ic's techy education hq 3, linked above
01 > Definition Of Garage / This Is Love - Daniel J Lewis
02 > I Know You Get Down - Uneaq
03 > Say No Go - Funk Mediterraneo
04 > Priority (Ethyl & Flori Remix) - Leif feat. Donna
05 > Forever This (Original Mix) - Phil Weeks, Hector Moralez, Fries & Bridges
06 > String Killer (Original Mix) - Shur-I-Kan
07 > So Sexy (Original Mix) - Cristian Moxt
08 > Jeton (Original Mix) - iO
09 > Big Mans Love EP (Can't Take No More) - DJ Sneak
10 > The World (Original Mix) - London Fm
11 > One Night In Tokyo (Original Mix) - Shur-I-Kan
12 > Blue Steel (Original Mix) - Graham Sahara
13 > I Really (Original Mix) - Sandrien, Kelly Mark
14 > Step By Step - DJ IC
15 > Realise My Sound - Kismet
16 > Bolingo Gringo (Original Mix) - Andreas Henneberg, Simon2

matmustard
23-09-2010, 01:08 PM
hmm, having listened to the blunted robots fact mix i realise that the dom haywood (dj dom now apparently) beat i was after isn't either of the two kindly listed by alex. the one that got me had a dreamy female vocal drifting in & out that, to my ears, said something like 'kerosene'(!) but was doubtless a word far less abrasive (in keeping with the laid back nature of the tune).
ben ufo to thread! i know it's over a year ago now but i remember you were playing it..

Tentative Andy
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Finally got an ID for this, it's Tonka - Freeze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9EMq5Yai4s

Damien
12-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm sure Reso played Sunshowers the other day. :D

matmustard
09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
september kismet mix
http://www.filefront.com/17315915/Journey-Into-House-Vol-2.zip/
tracks 7 (for the circle gyal), 8 (a wha dat?), 11 (for the ravers) and 14 (for the fuckin b-line!)

matmustard
10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
and vol 1 of ic's oct mixtape
8-13/14 = proper dubbage
http://www.filefront.com/17348475/DJ-IC-Presents-...-ABRIGUE-MSICA-.zip/

matmustard
10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
n a big set from the new breed, live at ruby lo 28/10, big up sef - afro power man
rinse djs kumfy & lighter - check the opening special http://tiltwoparties.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kumfy-b2b-lighter-til-two-28th-oct.mp3

matmustard
16-11-2010, 11:20 PM
vol 2 of dj ic’s abrique musica. possibly not quite as strong as vol 1 – which is percy - but still well worth a listen if you’re feeling tech / deep / soulful house
lurking right at the end is a standalone ic production, some nex spiritual praise that, along with track 13 on vol 1, hints strongly at the future
http://www.filefront.com/17359054/DJ-IC-Presents-...-ABRIGUE-MUSICA-VOL.2.zip/

incidentally both kismet and ic have tracks forthcoming on cooly g’s nascent dub organizor label in the new year..

matmustard
29-11-2010, 10:10 AM
have to big up cooly g: topatop beatsmith, label impresario, mother with vision and now camerawoman of distinction :)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWj884IE3As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWj884IE3As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

matmustard
29-11-2010, 10:12 AM
..and word from the man himself is that an ic production w/ cooly on vocals is forthcoming too..

baboon2004
29-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I appreciate this is utterly irrelevant to her music, which is great, but given the ad hominem appreciation of Shackleton's character on another thread (again, irrelevant to his music), I have to say that, having ended up on a youtube vid of her whilst looking for a tune she had played, she comes across as particularly twattish as a person.

Irrelevant aside over.

matmustard
29-11-2010, 10:40 AM
no baboon, i think you're correct. word has it that the woman does indeed have a vagina

baboon2004
29-11-2010, 11:56 AM
hmm, yes, very good.

wise
29-11-2010, 12:07 PM
The B Side of the first release on her label is however a cracker!

Arethis - Rugged Angels :D

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/362245-krystal-klear-arethis-greensilver-rugged-angels

joe.dfx
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I appreciate this is utterly irrelevant to her music, which is great, but given the ad hominem appreciation of Shackleton's character on another thread (again, irrelevant to his music), I have to say that, having ended up on a youtube vid of her whilst looking for a tune she had played, she comes across as particularly twattish as a person.

Irrelevant aside over.

you should follow her on twitter or facebook.....

inane is an understatement.

baboon2004
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
you should follow her on twitter or facebook.....

inane is an understatement.

Inanity is fine, it's the detached/'ironic' attitude I find so annoying. Why is it so uncool/frightening just to be yourself, especially when you have so much love from people within that scene already for your music (and justifiably so)? :slanted:

matmustard
01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
wow – i’ve had this on hd for a minute but only just got round to listening to it (sound familiar?)
kumfy mix from early october. some serious heat within - deep styles – and with no love lost for ic and tippa the selections unequivocally trump ehq4 imho.
sendspace link has expired, so just the stream for now
http://soundcloud.com/buckyoflair/kumfy-buckyoflair-mix

matmustard
24-02-2011, 12:49 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UoS45Wno4gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unknown soulja
25-02-2011, 01:46 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UoS45Wno4gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woiii. Persy!

matmustard
02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
the fool in me wants to throw up stacks of undeniable house here, just to piss off finney und scott :p
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Sq9ZPfwN7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matmustard
02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
but that would just be silly
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LvVO00Ub5OA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matmustard
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
which seems reasonable enough to me
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FMp5Opv9hoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Benny B
02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
@matmustard: You listened to any of Petchy's Wicked On a wednesday shows? Cos he regularly plays all of those tracks you just posted and loads of other great house stuff, but as a DJ I think he kills all those circle guys.

Corpsey
02-03-2011, 08:40 PM
@matmustard: You listened to any of Petchy's Wicked On a wednesday shows? Cos he regularly plays all of those tracks you just posted and loads of other great house stuff, but as a DJ I think he kills all those circle guys.

you got any of these on mp3 benny?

Benny B
02-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I have loads on the hard drive but only got this one uploaded :http://www.mediafire.com/?3dzu6xb98bykdu8

was trying to up another one earlier but my internet connections been playing up again. I was sort of hoping maybe matmustard could ID some of the tunes he plays cos I haven't got a clue what most of them are.

edit: this is a good show but I got better ones than this (he turned up late for this one and was only really warming by the time it finished). I will endeavour to up a full 2 hour journey by this weekend.

matmustard
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
i can give you most of those, but the let's go tune is interesting. it's got a ruff uk feel but has that drawn out (us funky house style) intro. big tune..
dennis ferrer - hey hey
ma1 – high definition
omar - lay it down (andre lodemann)
ossie
roland clark – i love my life
karizma – twyst this
dennisf ferrer - the red room (tmb/jerome sydenham dub)
osunlade / nadirah shakoor – pride
gel abril – spells of yaruba
let’s go!
kerri chandler - bar a thym
kenny dope – the bomb
makam – you might lose it (kerri chandler kaos 623 mix)

matmustard
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
any discussion concerning djs merits is arbitrary really. petchy certainly favours the fader more and the tunes are pitched way up in that set. consider this and i’m tipping you’ll find it painfully slow, to the extent that i think i prefer his sped up version, big look on the shout outs!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w0ZUyktrxLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Benny B
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
i can give you most of those, but the let's go tune is interesting. it's got a ruff uk feel but has that drawn out (us funky house style) intro. big tune..
dennis ferrer - hey hey
ma1 – high definition
omar - lay it down (andre lodemann)
ossie
roland clark – i love my life
karizma – twyst this
dennisf ferrer - the red room (tmb/jerome sydenham dub)
osunlade / nadirah shakoor – pride
gel abril – spells of yaruba
let’s go!
kerri chandler - bar a thym
kenny dope – the bomb
makam – you might lose it (kerri chandler kaos 623 mix)

cheers, had a feeling you'd know most of these. Might have to tap you for some more IDs when I get that other set upped :)

matmustard
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
this is almost perfect for me right now
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a7O9T_4sUME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matmustard
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iHUmwZo4AkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matmustard
10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/stDCp1G9iRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matmustard
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBwiyECKSEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBwiyECKSEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

matmustard
10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNrE0SuW4hc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blackdown
20-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I have it from a pretty much un-questionable source that Circle aren't operating as a unit any more. :(

mms
20-03-2011, 06:05 PM
god this stuff is all they play on rinse during the day now - boring deep house with crap piano solos or parpy trumpets with some prick mumbling something 'deep' over the top - of course about 10% is a bit exciting and good music i guess - but they also play this stuff on' house fm' and live fm too, it's pretty painful really, it's become the ubiquitous sound of the pirates in 2011 and i'm wondering why that's happened, hopefully it's just holding music.

matmustard
21-03-2011, 10:10 AM
^ wot, like that belgium stuff you berate the world for not promoting cos they 'weren't there at the time'? :p

matmustard
22-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I have it from a pretty much un-questionable source that Circle aren't operating as a unit any more. :(
so it would seem.. oh well, kismet & ic have both got beats for 2011 and i can just see tippa blowing up, he's got the personality for it.
youtube's a terrible resource for this thing btw. sure the us stuff is mostly covered but for the newer uk and african sounds you've got to check the parties or radio.
one thing that can't be disputed is circle's rep as badman selecters
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pOr-TvION64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
22-03-2011, 06:16 PM
sorry to be a lazy cunt and all but could someone link me a couple of their favourite Circle sets? All I have is the A Plus live @ Yellow set, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

matmustard
24-03-2011, 01:49 AM
sorry to be a lazy cunt and all but could someone link me a couple of their favourite Circle sets? All I have is the A Plus live @ Yellow set, which I enjoyed quite a bit.
lay off the ket, you goon ;)
pages 8/9 here will get you most of the big tunes from the past couple of years. despite kismet saying he didn't really go in (it does lean towards classics), his til two set is the one imo, with tippa in great form. in content at least, petchy's wow sets are similar - benny if you get a sec to up those mate??
i've got a slew of other mixes, some yellow and adults only bits, but didn't link them at the time as they were easy enough to get hold of for anyone that was looking. since filefront changed its format tho the ic & kismet archives are gone, so the more recent stuff is on soundcloud.

Benny B
24-03-2011, 05:50 AM
in content at least, petchy's wow sets are similar - benny if you get a sec to up those mate??

Full two hour set from just before xmas.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nt3tp95je8ljpt5