Circle/Yellow/Dubbage

hucks

Your Message Here
Would never of thought this conversation was going to mention the poxy nuum, shame.

Really? This is dissensus, everything comes back to the nuum, and and then an argument about the nuum. It's a continuum all of its own.
;)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ok so I asked this in the funky thread but it might make more sense to ask it here - on the Yellow ad that Rinse is always playing at the moment, does anyone know the name of the second tune played? It's the one that's basically just a rolling beat. Pretty sure I've heard Oneman play it before. Could be some really well-known house tune for all I know. Really like it anyway.

(I have nothing more whatsoever to add to the debate about dubbage btw, not planning on using the n word today ;) ).

Ory

warp drive
do you have a clip of it andy? rinse doesn't seem to leave the ads in their podcasts anymore.

Benny Bunter

Would never of thought this conversation was going to mention the poxy nuum, shame.

I strongly suspect that most of the people on here whinging about Reynold's writings about the nuum haven't actually took the time to read his stuff properly. If you did then you'd see that the concept of the nuum isn't really all that controversial at all, its mainly just a description of whats actually happened and not really a theory at all. What's making it controversial is all the reactionary misreadings of his writing.

He's set out his position quite clearly (for what seems like the umpteenth time now) in this new piece: http://dj.dancecult.net/index.php/journal/article/view/47/79 . It's all quite straight forward stuff really, not really much to argue with if you ask me.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Was just about ask about the Rinse ads, always thought the music on them was very dodgy.
Has anyone actually been to any of these nights ? I believe Circle and Yellow exist obviously, but Id be sceptical about Dubbage if all they are doing is djing. Its not hiphop.

Are there any productions from this camp ?
Because they can hardly look down on the funky lot if all they are doing is play Rej and calling it Dubbage. Its giving something a name before it exists

Where are the mutations ?

dystopia

Also I downloaded a Circle set from Chans a couple of years ago (2005/6 christmas day) and they were playing some old house/early US/UK Garage with a real tough feeling behind it, and I didn’t recognise not one of the tracks. THAT is the set you need to check if you haven’t heard them live before.

any chance of you digging this out and uploading it? I'm intrigued

alex

Do not read this.
@Sectionfive http://soundcloud.com/dj-ic (also DJ Feva makes tunes im sure & A+ has a s/cloud, unsure if he makes tunes)

Also did you read that article? I think it's a bit short sighted to think all they are doing is playing rej & calling funky's production values shite.

Although i'm with you on dubbage not being a scene, it definitely isnt.

@dystopia will check for it tonight & re-up for you, hyper set man

Fundamental

My thoughts on this thing are mixed.

I personally respect them for building a scene and doing their own thing but they do seem quite self-celebratory about the whole thing. I'm thinking about that intro to a mix I heard, probably a circle one where some guy gives a monologue about how no one believed in them, and now thousands flock to the rave or whatever. I cringed.

Also from a music perspective, however they dress it up they are not doing anything remotely original as jungle, UK garage, grime or even wobblestep or uk funky. But I think essentially this is not the point or the draw of the scene. It is the fact that they have a scene where sexy girls dance, everyone has a good time and the scene hasn't yet imploded from bandwagon jumpers and violence.

To the geek musos on here like ourselves, this scene is never gonna have the allure of grime, funky or any 'other' music. Sonically it is not experimental or progressive, if anything it is the first London scene to be truely regressive. Another signifier of the post-continuum argument perhaps? Besides... watching fit girls dancing whilst you are drunk is a much better way to spend time than musing over new genres and scenes.

Lastly I have to agree that essentially this is essentially deep house rebranded. And the only difference between this and the Sunday scene is that there are already UK and even London-based deep house producers off of your and my radars that play to thousands and thousands of people worldwide, in places like Italy for instance. Dubbage is gonna do little to affect or them, beyond make them chuckle. It certainly won't ever eclipse that scene worldwide, it is a long established institution like house/dnb.

In the broadband era London is no-longer centre of the dance universe. Don't expect this scene to explode like UKG. I doubt dubbage will incubate like the sucess stories before it. This won't be a tale of six mates from Croydon like dubstep was IMO. It just doesn't fill enough of a gap beyond the fact that there is no respectable music in London for girls to dance to and for guys to feel they own.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I think the only problem I have, and its a small one.
Is that with the big shift to house in the last few years, so much of what's supposed to be new, isn't.
There are tons of great records, producers and djs but alot of the stuff around this area is being made by people who did their best to avoid house for the last twenty years and its very hard to get excited when your told this is something new.

Tippa says "[Dubbage is] more intelligent,". He can only be referring to the crowd, because Roska and the rest could have made any of the tracks I've heard so far.

Saying all that Im looking in from the outside and Blackdown's 'this is next' alarm is possibly better tuned then mine at the moment. Its early days

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i genuinely have that feeling but share all the concerns of the naysayers on this thread. that's why i waited about 5 months to write the piece before deciding to go for it and see how everyone weighs up both sides.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Four to the floor was once a rhythmic trap remember.
When that happens it will be very hard to break from it again.

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Also from a music perspective, however they dress it up they are not doing anything remotely original as jungle, UK garage, grime or even wobblestep or uk funky.
I have to agree that essentially this is essentially deep house rebranded.
Sonically it is not experimental or progressive, if anything it is the first London scene to be truely regressive.

Just like things said about funky house. There isn't still much UK productions around but there will be.

Don't expect this scene to explode like UKG. I doubt dubbage will incubate like the sucess stories before it. This won't be a tale of six mates from Croydon like dubstep was IMO.
Yeah tbh I also think it will not be as big as those genres/movements (atleast in terms of musical innovation), but this is just like usg -> ukg, us house -> funky. Only difference I see is that they'v reached bigger audience without own productions. But tunes will come.

outraygeous

The thing with London scenes is like how Bernie Mac describes sex

'aint nothing but 50 pumps'

exchange the pumps for tunes. The people who go to these events all probably listened to garage/jungle/funky/dancehall

they want to hear the big tunes, not interested in the new tracks.

these London scenes just copy and re hash thing when something gets popular.

one example from grime is when wiley did something, everyone copied.

'Dubbage' will not be the new scene. Its not different enough from anything else.

alex

Do not read this.
I dont think Yellow is a 'bangerthon' if that's what you are reffering to? I hardly think a crew would get this much exposure, an opportunity to host a rinse cd and a regular slot for playing 'show me love' remixes week in week out.