PDA

View Full Version : new underground resistance is amazing

simon silverdollar
13-08-2005, 10:17 PM
anyone heard the recent underground resistance stuff? It's HUGE but they seem to get very little attention nowadays. currently, UR seem to be favouring really blissy, ultra-melodic stuff, heavy on the epic and emotive strings.

so, they might be a little unfashionable now but check out:
-aguila
-windchime
-transition.

'windchime' in particular is gorgeous.

DigitalDjigit
13-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeah, you have to wonder what kind of world we live in where this stuff is completely unnoticed while dull-as-fuck r'n'b-hop is all over the charts. I am not sure that this is a big change for UR, they always had a very blissy, melodic strain going on. It just used to be buried under all the heavy aggressive techno and electro.

kingofcars
14-08-2005, 12:03 AM
UR's output has been pretty consistently decent for the past few years, definitely, though attention has really shifted away from them since 'knights of the jaguar'...
i agree, the blissy strain has always been there ('eye of the storm', 'jupiter jazz', etc) - it's just become the primary focus as of late.
the recent red planet stuff has also been good.

detroit's output in general has been solid lately - theo parrish and kdj have been hogging the spotlight for the past few years, but there's plenty of other stuff that warrants attention. dj 3000's motech label puts out some interesting arabic-inspired techno...electrofunk puts out good, if not exactly exciting, err...electrofunk. pi gao movement continues to put out the weird-as-fuck drexciyan electro...

dominic
14-08-2005, 01:59 AM
"eye of the storm" is an all-time favorite of mine

i need to check their new stuff

but yeah, i think dance music is going to go back in this direction

Tim F
14-08-2005, 03:06 AM
"Transition" is a stunner as all fule know.

I think UR's rep is gonna get big again over the next 12 months 'cos Detroit is very fashionable in Europe righdaboudnow.

I'm hoping the nu-beat-pop revival I predicted a while back will also finally make an appearance.

owen
14-08-2005, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Tim F
I'm hoping the nu-beat-pop revival I predicted a while back will also finally make an appearance.[/QUOTE]

heheh lets hope so!

mpc
14-08-2005, 05:56 PM
(hold tight all the mans with Underground Resistance garms).

i don't like 'transition', but there is a lot of good UR stuff.

'aguila' is off the chain.

notoriousJ.I.M
14-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Sē - Slide is proper hi-tech funk biznizz, and there's been a spate of decent funk fuelled 7"s of late, like May Ya Ya as well as some quite ropey stuff. UR never went away though and will continue to amaze and dissapoint in equal measure, but when they're good they're untouchable.

ambrose
14-08-2005, 06:43 PM
isnt transition quite old? like 3 yrs? or is that "new ur"?

simon silverdollar
14-08-2005, 07:09 PM
isnt transition quite old? like 3 yrs? or is that "new ur"?
yeah it is but i'm still counting it cuz it was still released after what many (wrongly, in my opinion) would consider UR's 'peak'.

simon silverdollar
14-08-2005, 07:10 PM

standard.

kingofcars
14-08-2005, 07:21 PM
nubeat revival sounds a-ok in my books.

i second the recommendation on that S2 record.
UR in weird detuned electrofunk mode...which seems to be the other direction their exploring lately. it's good to keep the blissed-out balanced w/ the freaked-out...

just checked out samples of the upcoming UR 7"s at submerge - indeed, they're very good.

k-punk
14-08-2005, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't say I've always loved the idea of UR much more than the actual records, but that's almost the case. How couldn't I adore the fusion of revolutionary politics, techno, militaria, myth, comics, SF, maroon/pirate counter-history, oceanic esoterrorism, wacked out science, the whole 'Afro-Germanic' discontinuum... But could any record live up to that?

What do ppl think is UR's best stuff?

simon silverdollar
14-08-2005, 07:53 PM

knights of the jaguar!

but i'm also a big fan of the dramatic hardness of the x-101 stuff: there's something intensely cerebral as well as very physical about it. a little like villalobos in that respect, perhaps.

dominic
14-08-2005, 08:23 PM

"eye of the storm" and "g-force"

but i say this having lost track of them in mid-90s

and i'm pretty keen to check out their new stuff, based on silverdollar's remarks

kingofcars
14-08-2005, 08:32 PM
the whole 'sonic' ep. it covers the different sides of the UR sound very well...deep, paranoid, ecstatic, enlightened...

drexciya's 'wavejumper'

blake baxter's release on UR is an all-time fav ('when a thought becomes you'!!!!), but sort of doesn't fit in w/ the rest of the label's aesthetic.

kingofcars
14-08-2005, 08:35 PM
and yea the x-101 stuff is really great.
matthew dear seems to be working w/ those ideas under his audion guise as of late.

Martin Dust
14-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Check here for all your UR listening needs:

http://www.submerge.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=UndergroundResistance

Ronan
14-08-2005, 09:44 PM
best UR for me knights of the jaguar, jupiter jazz.

my UR stuff is confusingly labelled, it's sort of difficult to really be definitive about UR, since so many of the tracks are just straight DJ tools. love when they do epic stuff though.

also Los Hermanos-Quetzal is an old favourite of mine, a friend calls it Jaguar's "sad cousin".

mms
14-08-2005, 10:11 PM
they still put out some good stuff but some of the latest stuff is gash- just stuff like aquanuats and someof the los hermanos stuff - transition is quite old now .

there does appear to be some top detroit stuff going on at the moment tho , last dj bone on d1 recordings, the last theo parrish and howard thomas on mahogani music in general as well as a tasty comp called'in the dark , the soul of detroit ' show there is still some life there ,
did anyone catch kenny larkins last lp - a sort of blues comedy techno lp

the arpanet lp out on rephlex is stunning too as it goes - short cold awesome tracks

for me it's still the final frontier (for the acid at the end of the universe track )-
galaxy to galaxy - the revolution for change lp and red planet 06 blake baxters' when a though becomes you ' and anything drexciyan as the standout bits of urs back cat

kingofcars
15-08-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah, those aquanauts records were a bit of a bummer. a pretty weak tribute to james stinson...

definitely looking forward to getting the new arpanet lp. the last one was totally brilliant.

Woebot
15-08-2005, 08:19 AM

The Sonic EP, by a furlong.

AshRa
15-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I've not heard the latest batch of 7"s, just read the sales notes and they all seem to be going on about 'The Slide' - is this a new dance craze or something?

Windchime was the best thing they've put out since "Interstellar Fugitives" I reckon.

The "Nation 2 Nation", "World 2 World", etc series are my favourite and I think most representative of the 'UR concept'.

labrat
15-08-2005, 11:12 AM
the Red Planet stuff is very fine when heard in smoky nightclub situations, in particular this...

bassnation
15-08-2005, 12:15 PM
the Red Planet stuff is very fine when heard in smoky nightclub situations, in particular this...

superb tune. i'd also nominate eddie flashin fowlkes "sex in zero gravity" on the same label (but not UR, obviously) as one of the best house / techno tunes ever produced. i can't describe how the opening chords make me feel. just pure, pure ecstatic vibes that make you feel like your going to explode with happiness.

owen
15-08-2005, 01:50 PM
lots of this newer lot sounds very up my strasse, should investigate really....thought drexciya's 'digital tsunami' (was that 2002?) was pretty awesome...and dopplereffekt are nice, if they count

jack
15-08-2005, 02:43 PM
superb tune. i'd also nominate eddie flashin fowlkes "sex in zero gravity" on the same label (but not UR, obviously) as one of the best house / techno tunes ever produced. i can't describe how the opening chords make me feel. just pure, pure ecstatic vibes that make you feel like your going to explode with happiness.

word

Melchior
15-08-2005, 11:19 PM

One of the best house/techno nights of my entire life was seeing Eddie Fowlkes DJ. Amazing, even if he did play "Red Alert" twice in his set and once again when he DJed at another club later on.

AshRa
16-08-2005, 09:54 AM

'May the spirit of the jaguar bless your dancefloor'

adverb
16-08-2005, 01:49 PM
there's a new interstellar fugitives compilation on the way apparently. i haven't been too impressed with UR's output over the last number of years, not since codebreaker which was the last mindblowing record they put out i think. but the new red planet (the last stand) is fantastic - also s2's stuff is extremely freaky as well as being pretty forward thinking - something UR seemed incapable of doing without recourse to retro futurism...

looking forward to their live shows this year!

mr tom
16-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I just got hold of the 'UR presents Galaxy 2 Galaxy - A Hi-Tech Jazz Compilation' 2xCD on the Japanese Soundscape label (http://www.discogs.com/release/399365) which is a great collection but only reinforces that their heyday, in my opinion, was some time ago.

They've been releasing a fair amount of stuff over the past few years but most of it seems to be treading water a bit to my ears - Transition is great, I really like Windchime/Abandoned Building In Mono and the S2 stuff is pretty cool, but their output overall (perhaps inevitably) sounds a lot less futuristic and otherworldly than it once did.

Maximum respect to them for creating some of the most wonderful tracks ever committed to vinyl and generally being such an inspiring operation in terms of image, politics, marketing and philosophy, but the musical landscape and way people consume music has changed so much in the past ten years that they're increasingly looking like they're being left behind...

AshRa
16-08-2005, 02:10 PM
I think the change for UR was the "Interstellar Fugitives" LP, before that the label was mainly for Mad Mike / Jeff Mills productions (with Drexciya, Rob Hood, Blake Baxter, etc ploughing their own freaky techno-furrows now and then) but afterwards it seemed to become a label for 'the new guys' who i'm guessing are apprentices of Mike's using his studio to get a similar sound but aren't really adding anything or pushing the sound forwards... Which is a shame because up to number 40-ish it's a pretty much faultless label (although I can't remember the last time I listened to Scan 7 :o )

mms
16-08-2005, 03:27 PM
weirdly in a german mag at lunch i saw they have collaborated on an ipod design !

adverb
16-08-2005, 04:30 PM
weirdly in a german mag at lunch i saw they have collaborated on an ipod design !

there was an interview with mr de ,who is now running the business side of the label ,somewhere (metro times?) a few months back - one of the main points was that they had licensed a number of tracks to rockstar games.

not the UR of old certainly - a bunch of guys making a living more like.

mms
16-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I think the change for UR was the "Interstellar Fugitives" LP, before that the label was mainly for Mad Mike / Jeff Mills productions (with Drexciya, Rob Hood, Blake Baxter, etc ploughing their own freaky techno-furrows now and then) but afterwards it seemed to become a label for 'the new guys' who i'm guessing are apprentices of Mike's using his studio to get a similar sound but aren't really adding anything or pushing the sound forwards... Which is a shame because up to number 40-ish it's a pretty much faultless label (although I can't remember the last time I listened to Scan 7 :o )

nah def jeff left ages before interstellar fugitives in the mid 90's when he started releasing the x10 series on tresor

i think knights of the jaguar was the tipping moment really, they really rinsed that with billions of remixes, i wasn't a big fan of that track anyway but the us against them thing followed by licencing kinda killed it for me.
they also started making tracks with software and got rid of some of that warm feel and the stuff they did magically - like the lush sympathetic tones in tracks like 'journey of the dragons' when they got into a brittle dryer production sound.

some of their stuff is unbeatable though.

bassnation
16-08-2005, 08:13 PM
some of their stuff is unbeatable though.

this is one of my favourites:
http://www.undergroundresistance.com/ammo/ammo_i_043.html

the wobbler is skitteringly fast tweaking electroid madness. good to mix with old skool jungle i find.

AshRa
16-08-2005, 10:30 PM
nah def jeff left ages before interstellar fugitives in the mid 90's when he started releasing the x10 series on tresor.

Yeah, I just didn't want to leave him out! :D

I think you're right about Knights Of The Jaguar - I thought it just sounded like a funky house version of Red Planet when I first heard it and thought 'here we go, this is going to be massive'!

The first moment I can clearly remember being a bit disappointed by UR was that week when there was about 3 different UR-related 12"s with interlocking grooves from NSC and when I got them home they were ALL boring!

kingofcars
17-08-2005, 04:55 AM
looking forward to their live shows this year!

saw UR play a few months ago at the fuse-in fest in detroit.
a little iffy, IMO....
full live band.....a lot of UR stuff is already dangerously close to being jazz-fusiony...this reallly almost pushed it over the top...

if it hadn't been in detroit, as part of a festival celebrating detroit music, i probably would have been sufficiently soured on the whole thing....mad mike's an excellent speaker, tho, and the music's power still came accross....
still, i was a little irked afterwards...

Nick Gutterbreakz
17-08-2005, 06:13 AM
can't believe how popular this UR thread is!

adverb
17-08-2005, 10:19 AM
saw UR play a few months ago at the fuse-in fest in detroit.
a little iffy, IMO....
full live band.....a lot of UR stuff is already dangerously close to being jazz-fusiony...this reallly almost pushed it over the top...

yikes - well, i've waited ten years, so i guess i'll be seeing them either way.

noodley techno = stress.

Jim Daze
17-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Tech Jazz, live version

simon silverdollar
17-08-2005, 11:00 AM
a bloke came up to me a few months back (when i was wearing my UR garms) and told me that UR were playing London this october- does anyone know anything about this?

adverb
17-08-2005, 11:06 AM
a bloke came up to me a few months back (when i was wearing my UR garms) and told me that UR were playing London this october- does anyone know anything about this?

from little detroit....

Metamorphose 05 Cycle Center Izu, Japan (August 27th, 2005 )
The Arches, Glasgow, Scotland (Oct. 28th, 2005)
DEAF, Dublin, Ireland(Oct. 30th 2005)
Darkside, Leeds, England (Nov. 11th, 2005)
Liverpool, England (Nov.12th, 2005)TBC

no london dates.

adverb
17-08-2005, 11:08 AM
oh, they're playing belfast on the 29th. i guess dates could still be added... but strange there's no london show.

AshRa
17-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I've been to see UR 'play live' twice in London - both times were no-shows (DJ only), one of them was in a railway arch in Vauxhall and was half techno-bods and half locals in their 40s and 50s looking for somewhere to have a drink - WELL WEIRD! :)

DJ PIMP
17-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Final Frontier

AshRa
17-08-2005, 09:23 PM
What about that one on Acid Rain II that speeds up? Mmmmm! :)

mms
17-08-2005, 09:25 PM
What about that one on Acid Rain II that speeds up? Mmmmm! :)

the backwards funk sample one is the one for me, first track side two, wouldn't sound that out of place on a bomb squad production , but that record should be a double pack it's too quiet.

AshRa
17-08-2005, 09:27 PM
the backwards funk sample one is the one for me, first track side two, wouldn't sound that out of place on a bomb squad production , but that record should be a double pack it's too quiet.

*gets Acid Rain II out NOW*