new underground resistance is amazing

kingofcars

yeah, those aquanauts records were a bit of a bummer. a pretty weak tribute to james stinson...

definitely looking forward to getting the new arpanet lp. the last one was totally brilliant.

AshRa

I've not heard the latest batch of 7"s, just read the sales notes and they all seem to be going on about 'The Slide' - is this a new dance craze or something?

Windchime was the best thing they've put out since "Interstellar Fugitives" I reckon.

The "Nation 2 Nation", "World 2 World", etc series are my favourite and I think most representative of the 'UR concept'.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
the Red Planet stuff is very fine when heard in smoky nightclub situations, in particular this...

bassnation

the abyss
labrat said:
the Red Planet stuff is very fine when heard in smoky nightclub situations, in particular this...

superb tune. i'd also nominate eddie flashin fowlkes "sex in zero gravity" on the same label (but not UR, obviously) as one of the best house / techno tunes ever produced. i can't describe how the opening chords make me feel. just pure, pure ecstatic vibes that make you feel like your going to explode with happiness.

owen

lots of this newer lot sounds very up my strasse, should investigate really....thought drexciya's 'digital tsunami' (was that 2002?) was pretty awesome...and dopplereffekt are nice, if they count

jack

bassnation said:
superb tune. i'd also nominate eddie flashin fowlkes "sex in zero gravity" on the same label (but not UR, obviously) as one of the best house / techno tunes ever produced. i can't describe how the opening chords make me feel. just pure, pure ecstatic vibes that make you feel like your going to explode with happiness.

word

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
bassnation said:

One of the best house/techno nights of my entire life was seeing Eddie Fowlkes DJ. Amazing, even if he did play "Red Alert" twice in his set and once again when he DJed at another club later on.

adverb

there's a new interstellar fugitives compilation on the way apparently. i haven't been too impressed with UR's output over the last number of years, not since codebreaker which was the last mindblowing record they put out i think. but the new red planet (the last stand) is fantastic - also s2's stuff is extremely freaky as well as being pretty forward thinking - something UR seemed incapable of doing without recourse to retro futurism...

looking forward to their live shows this year!

mr tom

dressed to ill
I just got hold of the 'UR presents Galaxy 2 Galaxy - A Hi-Tech Jazz Compilation' 2xCD on the Japanese Soundscape label (http://www.discogs.com/release/399365) which is a great collection but only reinforces that their heyday, in my opinion, was some time ago.

They've been releasing a fair amount of stuff over the past few years but most of it seems to be treading water a bit to my ears - Transition is great, I really like Windchime/Abandoned Building In Mono and the S2 stuff is pretty cool, but their output overall (perhaps inevitably) sounds a lot less futuristic and otherworldly than it once did.

Maximum respect to them for creating some of the most wonderful tracks ever committed to vinyl and generally being such an inspiring operation in terms of image, politics, marketing and philosophy, but the musical landscape and way people consume music has changed so much in the past ten years that they're increasingly looking like they're being left behind...

AshRa

I think the change for UR was the "Interstellar Fugitives" LP, before that the label was mainly for Mad Mike / Jeff Mills productions (with Drexciya, Rob Hood, Blake Baxter, etc ploughing their own freaky techno-furrows now and then) but afterwards it seemed to become a label for 'the new guys' who i'm guessing are apprentices of Mike's using his studio to get a similar sound but aren't really adding anything or pushing the sound forwards... Which is a shame because up to number 40-ish it's a pretty much faultless label (although I can't remember the last time I listened to Scan 7 :eek: )

adverb

mms said:
weirdly in a german mag at lunch i saw they have collaborated on an ipod design !

there was an interview with mr de ,who is now running the business side of the label ,somewhere (metro times?) a few months back - one of the main points was that they had licensed a number of tracks to rockstar games.

not the UR of old certainly - a bunch of guys making a living more like.

mms

sometimes
AshRa said:
I think the change for UR was the "Interstellar Fugitives" LP, before that the label was mainly for Mad Mike / Jeff Mills productions (with Drexciya, Rob Hood, Blake Baxter, etc ploughing their own freaky techno-furrows now and then) but afterwards it seemed to become a label for 'the new guys' who i'm guessing are apprentices of Mike's using his studio to get a similar sound but aren't really adding anything or pushing the sound forwards... Which is a shame because up to number 40-ish it's a pretty much faultless label (although I can't remember the last time I listened to Scan 7 :eek: )

nah def jeff left ages before interstellar fugitives in the mid 90's when he started releasing the x10 series on tresor

i think knights of the jaguar was the tipping moment really, they really rinsed that with billions of remixes, i wasn't a big fan of that track anyway but the us against them thing followed by licencing kinda killed it for me.
they also started making tracks with software and got rid of some of that warm feel and the stuff they did magically - like the lush sympathetic tones in tracks like 'journey of the dragons' when they got into a brittle dryer production sound.

some of their stuff is unbeatable though.

AshRa

mms said:
nah def jeff left ages before interstellar fugitives in the mid 90's when he started releasing the x10 series on tresor.

Yeah, I just didn't want to leave him out! :D

I think you're right about Knights Of The Jaguar - I thought it just sounded like a funky house version of Red Planet when I first heard it and thought 'here we go, this is going to be massive'!

The first moment I can clearly remember being a bit disappointed by UR was that week when there was about 3 different UR-related 12"s with interlocking grooves from NSC and when I got them home they were ALL boring!

kingofcars

adverb said:
looking forward to their live shows this year!

saw UR play a few months ago at the fuse-in fest in detroit.
a little iffy, IMO....
full live band.....a lot of UR stuff is already dangerously close to being jazz-fusiony...this reallly almost pushed it over the top...

if it hadn't been in detroit, as part of a festival celebrating detroit music, i probably would have been sufficiently soured on the whole thing....mad mike's an excellent speaker, tho, and the music's power still came accross....
still, i was a little irked afterwards...

adverb

kingofcars said:
saw UR play a few months ago at the fuse-in fest in detroit.
a little iffy, IMO....
full live band.....a lot of UR stuff is already dangerously close to being jazz-fusiony...this reallly almost pushed it over the top...

yikes - well, i've waited ten years, so i guess i'll be seeing them either way.

noodley techno = stress.