PDA

View Full Version : Who's better...

Nick Gutterbreakz
18-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I reckon there's definitely a 'who's better' craze sweeping dissensus. here's some more suggestions (with a couple of old grudge matches in there to keep it real spicey, like):

John Foxx's Ultravox Vs. Midge Ure's Ultravox
The Seeds Vs. ? & The Mysterons
Robert A. Moog Vs. Alan R. Pearlman (one for the analogue freaqz)
The Smiths Vs. New Order
Spectrum/E.A.R. Vs. Spiritualized
Amon Duul II Vs. Hawkwind
Front 242 Vs. Laibach
Barrett-Floyd Vs. Waters-Floyd Vs. Gilmour-Floyd
Malcolm McLaren Vs. John Lydon
Black Dog Vs. Plaid
Tony Wilson Vs. Derreck May
Howard Jones Vs. Nik Kershaw

Take yer pick...

francesco
18-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Foxy Brown vs Lil Kim
Keith Emerson vs Rick Wakeman
Hulk vs The Thing

martin
18-09-2005, 04:16 PM
What about the Period Pains vs the Spice Girls? 4 public school , 14-year old posh-os taking on the solidly prole SGs, back in 1997, with their anthem "Who do you think you are?". It was well violent - they called Geri a 'moo' and told her to 'get a life for Christ's sake' on track. Whatever happened to the lot of them? Where are they all now, eh?

hint
18-09-2005, 04:19 PM
What about the Period Pains vs the Spice Girls? 4 public school , 14-year old posh-os taking on the solidly prole SGs, back in 1997, with their anthem "Who do you think you are?". It was well violent - they called Geri a 'moo' and told her to 'get a life for Christ's sake' on track. Whatever happened to the lot of them? Where are they all now, eh?

One of them is now in Pure Reason Revolution (http://www.purereasonrevolution.com/05)

I have abslutely no idea how I know this, but there you go...

martin
18-09-2005, 04:24 PM
What about living dead members of the notorious, murdered in the '70s, non-US approved, HELL'S ANGELS WINDSOR CHAPTER, re-animated as part of a far-fetched sex magick ritual..

VS

Tatu?

martin
18-09-2005, 04:25 PM
One of them is now in Pure Reason Revolution (http://www.purereasonrevolution.com/05)

I have abslutely no idea how I know this, but there you go...

Go on, admit it. You supported them once.

hint
18-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Go on, admit it. You supported them once.

There's always been a "Get a life for Christ's sake" element to my music :)

martin
18-09-2005, 05:04 PM
MIA vs Bow Wow Wow

Melchior
18-09-2005, 11:18 PM
What about living dead members of the notorious, murdered in the '70s, non-US approved, HELL'S ANGELS WINDSOR CHAPTER, re-animated as part of a far-fetched sex magick ritual..

VS

Tatu?

Now THAT is a question.

Jamacian Ska vs English Ska vs Southern Californian 'ska'?

zhao
18-09-2005, 11:40 PM
The Smiths Vs. New Order - shit I can't decide.

Spectrum/E.A.R. Vs. Spiritualized - Spectrum

Amon Duul II Vs. Hawkwind - fuck I can't decide on this either.

Front 242 Vs. Laibach - Laibach. because 242 stole almost everything from Fad Gadget.

Barrett-Floyd Vs. Waters-Floyd Vs. Gilmour-Floyd - Barrett (if you think otherwise you're out of your mind)

Malcolm McLaren Vs. John Lydon - not the same category are they?

Black Dog Vs. Plaid - neither

Tony Wilson Vs. Derreck May - Derreck May

zhao
19-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Mingus VS. Monk - Mingus

Anthony Braxton VS. Evan Parker - Braxton

Eric Dolphy VS. Ornette Coleman - no comment

stelfox
19-09-2005, 12:50 PM
i'll do the kershaw howard jones one, if you like.
i'll need to do some downloading and listening, but i'll come back on it when i've spent some time with a few records.
from what i remember, they were pretty much on a par at their best.
however, there are few songs i like more than kershaw's wouldn't it be good, a shining nugget of great pop in an otherwise pretty ordinary career, which i rate way up there with alphaville's strongest moments.
i'll only do it between a very abitrary period of time, when i consider them to have been most relevant, though.
i say this mainly because jones has been quite prolific in his post-warner years and i 1) don't have time to listen to it all 2) really don't want to because i have a feeling most of it will be utter shite.

Nick Gutterbreakz
20-09-2005, 11:43 PM
i'll do the kershaw howard jones one, if you like.
i'll need to do some downloading and listening, but i'll come back on it when i've spent some time with a few records.
from what i remember, they were pretty much on a par at their best.
however, there are few songs i like more than kershaw's wouldn't it be good, a shining nugget of great pop in an otherwise pretty ordinary career, which i rate way up there with alphaville's strongest moments.
i'll only do it between a very abitrary period of time, when i consider them to have been most relevant, though.
i say this mainly because jones has been quite prolific in his post-warner years and i 1) don't have time to listen to it all 2) really don't want to because i have a feeling most of it will be utter shite.

Crikey! Don't put yerself out on my account Stelfox! You've already gone beyond the call of duty with that whole Macca Vs. Collins thang. For what it's worth, I agree with your initial feelings virtually word for word. I certainly couldn't be arsed to actually go back and relive it all though.

Red Rooster
21-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Plasticman vs Plastikman

:cool:

treblekicker
21-09-2005, 10:06 AM
The Smiths Vs. New Order

New Order. A long time ago I posted a rant about The Smiths saying...
"IMHO they represented the sort of white boy indie miserablism that was
everything that was wrong with the 80's. Fuck experimentation, fuck any
sesne of progression when we can whine behind our cardigans. " Although I like The Smiths more than I used to and was possibly a bit harsh, I still stick with New Order's superiority and I still think the Smiths left a terrible legacy of awful bands.

Black Dog Vs. Plaid

Black Dog. Although Plaid were better than Ken Downey by himself. I'm sorry, TBD just had something that once the split wasn't there.

Tony Wilson Vs. Derreck May

What's Tony Wilson like at programming a 909?

Animal Collective vs. Tower Recordings
Superpitcher vs. Rex the Dog
Interpol vs. Editors

hamarplazt
21-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Tom Lehrer vs Jello Biafra

john eden
21-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Crikey! Don't put yerself out on my account Stelfox! You've already gone beyond the call of duty with that whole Macca Vs. Collins thang. For what it's worth, I agree with your initial feelings virtually word for word. I certainly couldn't be arsed to actually go back and relive it all though.

I used to be in the Howard Jones fanclub. They still write to my Mum and Dad's house occasionally :)

So I never like Nik Heyward cos it was all rival tribal rebellism 'round our way. If I could be arsed I would mount a defence for some Howard Jones tunes like "Pearl in the Shell" (cos of the brass section) and the instrumental b-sides he did. But it is actually painful remembering how it all probably sounds.

A far better discussion to have is Divine vs Dana International.

bassnation
21-09-2005, 11:18 AM
The Smiths Vs. New Order

New Order. A long time ago I posted a rant about The Smiths saying...
"IMHO they represented the sort of white boy indie miserablism that was
everything that was wrong with the 80's. Fuck experimentation, fuck any
sesne of progression when we can whine behind our cardigans. " Although I like The Smiths more than I used to and was possibly a bit harsh, I still stick with New Order's superiority and I still think the Smiths left a terrible legacy of awful bands.

i think the smiths piss all over new order for the following reasons:

1) humour - most people don't appreciate just how funny mozzers lyrics were. the juxtaposition of the dourness of "girlfriend in a coma" over a ridicolously jaunty melody is one of the funniest moments in music for me.

2) smiths lyrics actually mean something whereas everyone knows barney just writes a load of rubbish that means nada.

3) on the innovation stakes, ok, new order blue monday wins out. but i'd still argue that the smiths changed the face of the music landscape forever, they were unique both in terms of the discourse surrounding them, their image plus the music. its unfair to denigrate their music because of all the plagarists that followed them.

you can't really look at new order the same way, it felt much more workmanlike from them. plus "how soon is now" still sounds sonically fresh to these electronica-saturated ears in a way that 90% of new orders output doesn't.

monsterbobby
21-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Divine vs Dana International.

divine every time, but perhaps more for the John Waters films than the actual 'singing' career..

rather than the smiths vs new order i'm tempted to pose joy division vs. new order but perhaps only because i'm probably the only person in the world who prefers new order and am in the mood for some sort of virtual punch up...

how about:
>>Spector vs. Meek
>> xenomania vs. richard x
>>milton babbit vs. steve reich
>>arvo part vs. henryk gorecki
>>James Chance and the Contortions vs. James White and the Blacks
>>devo vs. sparks
>> frank sinatra vs. nancy sinatra
>>john cage vs. la monte young
>> elvis presley vs. lonnie donegan
>> monkees vs. banana splits

treblekicker
21-09-2005, 12:38 PM

1) humour - most people don't appreciate just how funny mozzers lyrics were. the juxtaposition of the dourness of "girlfriend in a coma" over a ridicolously jaunty melody is one of the funniest moments in music for me.

2) smiths lyrics actually mean something whereas everyone knows barney just writes a load of rubbish that means nada.

3) on the innovation stakes, ok, new order blue monday wins out. but i'd still argue that the smiths changed the face of the music landscape forever, they were unique both in terms of the discourse surrounding them, their image plus the music. its unfair to denigrate their music because of all the plagarists that followed them.

you can't really look at new order the same way, it felt much more workmanlike from them. plus "how soon is now" still sounds sonically fresh to these electronica-saturated ears in a way that 90% of new orders output doesn't.

Point taken about Barney's lyrics, although I would argue that although the content's a bit rubbish sometimes, he could read out a shopping list and it would emote. Morrissey's lyrics are top but that's my point, unfair or not.

It's the classic boring music, interesting lyrics dichtomy - that was their legacy and Morissey's solo work definitely fits into that category. If I want interesting words I'll read a book. Good lyrics are a bonus not a raison d'etre. Many of the things New Order did - working with dance producers, 12" remixes etc we forget how these things weren't normal then. No one else really did it back then.

Therefore they changed the landscape just as much as The Smiths. I guess ultimately though the same thing happened to them as happened to Kraftwerk. Everyone else caught up which is why they don't seem so innovative now.

Peter Saville New Order sleeves vs. The Smiths sleeves.

Ness Rowlah
21-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Jayne (Wayne) County vs Antony&the Johnsons
Hendrix vs the field
early Japan vs elegant Japan (Gentlemen/Quiet Life) vs late Japan (Tin Drum)
Roxy Music (w/Eno) vs 80s lounge Roxy Music
Eno vs EMO
Hawkwind vs Motorhead
Coldplay vs Radiohead vs Pink Floyd
Lady Sov vs MIA
Duran Duran vs Spandau Ballet

henry s
21-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Peter Saville Vs. Vaughn Oliver

Mad Mike Banks Vs. Dego McFarlane

St. Etienne Vs. Stereolab

Laura Nyro Vs. Joni Mitchell

(home teams in bold)

Nick Gutterbreakz
21-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Hawkwind vs Motorhead

Duran Duran vs Spandau Ballet

Both in the shortlist for my original post! Call me crazy, but I reckon Spandau take the crown for 'Chant #1' alone. Tune! 'Cut a long story short' was pretty spiffing too. Duran never did much for me, apart from maybe 'Save A Prayer'.

Anyone else out there agree that A-Ha's 'Scoundrel Days' album was pretty descent?

PS. Eden's an ex-Howard Jones fan, eh? Weirdest shit I read all day...

Nick Gutterbreakz
21-09-2005, 05:17 PM
>>Spector vs. Meek

Meek innit

>> monkees vs. banana splits

banana splits by a clear mile

Nick Gutterbreakz
21-09-2005, 05:21 PM
i think the smiths piss all over new order

Love ya Marc, but yer talkin out of yer arse on this one blud. Even Johnny marr thought New Order were better! Couldn't wait to work with Barney and synths after the Smiths split!

Eat a dick mozzer

how 'bout dis:

combined talents of new Order & The Smiths Vs. Pet Shop Boys

Grievous Angel
21-09-2005, 06:36 PM
You know nothing gobshite valley boy ingrate, throwing away the legacy of dance music in favour of a knee trembler with past it guitar bands...

Grievous Angel
21-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Meek innit
Huh? Phil Spector? rulez...

banana splits by a clear mile
The monkees are one of the best, and most under-rated bands, ever.

Pleasant Valley Sunday, Shades of Grey, San ("What am I doing hanging round...") Antoine...

bassnation
21-09-2005, 06:57 PM
You know nothing gobshite valley boy ingrate, throwing away the legacy of dance music in favour of a knee trembler with past it guitar bands...

lol, you know me too well :)

i've always had a soft spot for the smiths (i was going to type "synths" then, freudian slip).

the tunes i like were always the more experimental stuff like "london", "how soon is now" and "queen is dead" (natch). i concede there is a lot of crap though, and the jangly thing doesn't really cut it these days - too many associations with coldplays epic thing.

whereas most new order tunes remind me of the pet shop boys - apart from things like blue monday and even then (now this really is sacrilige) the hardfloor remix is better than the original.

could just like them both, but that would spoil the debate, wouldn't it?

bassnation
21-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Love ya Marc, but yer talkin out of yer arse on this one blud. Even Johnny marr thought New Order were better!

lol, ok, i might give them both a listen (stelfox style - what a great idea and what dedication to music that man has) and see how the passing of time has treated them both.

Nick Gutterbreakz
21-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Huh? Phil Spector? rulez...

Nah, Meek was the man. Working out of his self-built studio, creating unearthly experimental pop records, taking on the major labels and scoring mega #1 hits on both sides of the atlentic. And he was a West Country lad too. He would've ruled the '60s if those poncey scouse mop-tops hadn't come along and ruined everything.

The monkees are one of the best, and most under-rated bands, ever.

Pleasant Valley Sunday, Shades of Grey, San ("What am I doing hanging round...") Antoine...

Yeah, but the Splitz had a way better TV programme :D

Harsh but fair in the circumstances. This thread is shaping up nicely, just the way I'd hoped: a free-ranging, semi-abusive discussion of the kind that only usually occures down the boozer about half an hour before last orders.

Nick Gutterbreakz
21-09-2005, 08:22 PM
lol, ok, i might give them both a listen (stelfox style - what a great idea and what dedication to music that man has) and see how the passing of time has treated them both.

yeah do it Marc - it's your assignment for the week. then after that you have to reassess the Pet Shop Boys. ;)

bassnation
21-09-2005, 09:03 PM
yeah do it Marc - it's your assignment for the week. then after that you have to reassess the Pet Shop Boys. ;)

lol, what all of their albums? christ. ;)

Dr.Doom
21-09-2005, 10:55 PM
abit of an old one now but still,Nintendo Ds vs Sony PSP,coke a cola vs pepsi,mario vs sonic,man utd vs man city,macdonalds vs burger king

Ness Rowlah
22-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Both in the shortlist for my original post! Call me crazy, but I reckon Spandau take the crown for 'Chant #1' alone. Tune! 'Cut a long story short' was pretty spiffing too. Duran never did much for me, apart from maybe 'Save A Prayer'.

Agree - apart from choice of Duran Duran song. "Girls on Film" is my Duran Duran moment (that intro with the motor of an old Nikon or something running, a noise which will make no sense in 10 years time when everyone bar .01% of the photographers will be using digital cameras).

Saw Hawkwind live here in Croydon a few months ago. Clearly the band has been smoking too much over the last 20 years and seems to have run out of ideas.
Their "new" single is "Spirit of the Age" (from their Quark, Strangeness&Charm album in '78ish) and some of their proper new material had a weak jazz-rock/big-band feel to it. Still - they did a storming version of "Silver Machine" (with some tiny Father-Xmas/Hells Angels/wizard guy guesting on guitar) ...

michael
22-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Anyone else out there agree that A-Ha's 'Scoundrel Days' album was pretty descent?

I think it's more an ugly descent than a pretty one. ;) I think 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' is a great pop tune.. and I like the way 'Take On Me' goes half-speed in the chorus, it obviously influenced the early junglists. :D Sadly, I never found Morten hot.

John mentioned Nick Heyward re: Howard Jones - think you crossed the streams buddy, the original showdown was with Nik Kershaw. Omaar tried to get me into 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', but have to follow the consensus with 'Wouldn't It Be Good'. That breakdown where he repeats "I don't want to be here no more" and the little trickly synths build in the background... hot diggety! OK, the solo that follows is utterly rancid, but nostalgia blinds me to that. ;)

Stelfox mentioned Alphaville, the Australian ABC had a kind of ambient re-rub of 'Forever Young' - those atmospheric intro bits, parts of the melody - over its station ads. I think with predictable shots of kids and stuff. Hmm.

Windsor Davies as a bolshy army musician in It Ain't Half Hot Mum
vs.
Windsor Davies as the voice of a spherical robot in Terrahawks

labrat
22-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Mars vs Marrs

dHarry
22-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Morrissey Vs Morr

Morrissey Vs Marr

Cliff Richard Vs Donny Osmond Vs Daniel O' Donnell

Nolan Sisters Vs Sister Sledge Vs the Corrs

Marylin Manson Vs Dee Snyder (Twisted Sister)

How about a song Vs an entire oeuvre or genre:

Blue Monday Vs techno

outro to Velvet Underground's What Goes On Vs Stereolab

Hawkwind's You Shouldn't Do That Vs Loop

Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive Vs Sonic Youth

King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man Vs Black Sabbath's Iron Man Vs heavy metal

monsterbobby
22-09-2005, 01:38 PM
coke a cola vs pepsi

are you mental?

always the real thing.

pepsi, indeed! pah...

owen
22-09-2005, 01:55 PM
anthony burgess claimed coca-cola saved his life, y'know.

by the way bobble -so you want fight about new order vs jd eh? then defend world in motion, including john barnes' rap

matt b
22-09-2005, 02:14 PM
minor threat vs bad brains vs black flag

bassnation
22-09-2005, 02:14 PM
are you mental?

always the real thing.

pepsi, indeed! pah...

yeah but the real question has to be:

diet coke vs full fat coke

for me its always diet. i like that acrid chemical taste, god knows why - maybe a childhood spent eating disgusting uk sweets has prepared my pallette for it.

stelfox
22-09-2005, 03:02 PM

haha. it's purely thanks to being skint and bored and something of a masochist. downloading makes it possible. i sure as hell wouldn't be rushing out to buy hj and nk albums. btw, i've done a bit of listening and i'm finding myself sticking to my guns that wouldn't it be good is better than any single song hj ever made, but as whole albums hj is ahead by quite some distance. the 12" album is also really great. i forgot entirely how much i liked some of his tunes. it's also funny coz it's all a bout the same era as the phil collins stuff i liked. full evaluation on the way soon(ish).

Nick Gutterbreakz
22-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Psychic TV Vs. Coil Vs. Chris & Cosy

Nine Inch Nails Vs. Ministry

(I saw some piss-thin, lank-haired teenage lad wearing a 'Pretty hate machine' t-shirt the other day. I felt like going up to him and saying "I bought that album and then sold it cos it was shit when you were still filling nappies you scrawny little fuckwipe". But managed to resist the urge. Trent Resnor...wot a fucking cunt, eh? Although fair play for releasing the Plug album in the States.

monsterbobby
22-09-2005, 10:24 PM
for me its always diet.

that shit'll kill you dude. aspartame n that. head cancer, innit.

mms
22-09-2005, 10:42 PM
pull youself back gents this has become propostureous :eek:

ok ok prince vs rick james alright then...

mpc
22-09-2005, 11:18 PM
lager or cider?

and, wait for it...

the big one:

logan sama or dj came(lt)o(e)?

Nick Gutterbreakz
22-09-2005, 11:53 PM
lager or cider?

Lager. Every time, mate.

Your round, innit...

D84
23-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Have we done John Cale v JJ Cale yet?

I'm more of a JJ Cale man - esp. after midnight..

michael
23-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Have we done John Cale v JJ Cale yet?

I'm more of a JJ Cale man - esp. after midnight..
Yeah, that's a really nice track. I like 'They Call Me The Breeze' too.. as ripped off by Spiritualized somewhere down the line.

michael
23-09-2005, 01:14 AM
ok ok prince vs rick james alright then...
I can't think of a single Rick James song I like, so that one's pretty easy for me...

D84
23-09-2005, 01:24 AM
I can't think of a single Rick James song I like, so that one's pretty easy for me...

True but he inspired one of the funniest episodes of the Schappelle Show