Who's better...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Jayne (Wayne) County vs Antony&the Johnsons
Hendrix vs the field
early Japan vs elegant Japan (Gentlemen/Quiet Life) vs late Japan (Tin Drum)
Roxy Music (w/Eno) vs 80s lounge Roxy Music
Eno vs EMO
Hawkwind vs Motorhead
Coldplay vs Radiohead vs Pink Floyd
Lady Sov vs MIA
Duran Duran vs Spandau Ballet

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Peter Saville Vs. Vaughn Oliver

Mad Mike Banks Vs. Dego McFarlane

St. Etienne Vs. Stereolab

Laura Nyro Vs. Joni Mitchell

(home teams in bold)

Ness Rowlah said:
Hawkwind vs Motorhead

Duran Duran vs Spandau Ballet

Both in the shortlist for my original post! Call me crazy, but I reckon Spandau take the crown for 'Chant #1' alone. Tune! 'Cut a long story short' was pretty spiffing too. Duran never did much for me, apart from maybe 'Save A Prayer'.

Anyone else out there agree that A-Ha's 'Scoundrel Days' album was pretty descent?

PS. Eden's an ex-Howard Jones fan, eh? Weirdest shit I read all day...

bassnation said:
i think the smiths piss all over new order

Love ya Marc, but yer talkin out of yer arse on this one blud. Even Johnny marr thought New Order were better! Couldn't wait to work with Barney and synths after the Smiths split!

Eat a dick mozzer

how 'bout dis:

combined talents of new Order & The Smiths Vs. Pet Shop Boys

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
bassnation said:
i think the smiths piss all over new order for the following reasons:
You know nothing gobshite valley boy ingrate, throwing away the legacy of dance music in favour of a knee trembler with past it guitar bands...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Meek innit
Huh? Phil Spector? rulez...

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
banana splits by a clear mile
The monkees are one of the best, and most under-rated bands, ever.

Pleasant Valley Sunday, Shades of Grey, San ("What am I doing hanging round...") Antoine...

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
You know nothing gobshite valley boy ingrate, throwing away the legacy of dance music in favour of a knee trembler with past it guitar bands...

lol, you know me too well :)

i've always had a soft spot for the smiths (i was going to type "synths" then, freudian slip).

the tunes i like were always the more experimental stuff like "london", "how soon is now" and "queen is dead" (natch). i concede there is a lot of crap though, and the jangly thing doesn't really cut it these days - too many associations with coldplays epic thing.

whereas most new order tunes remind me of the pet shop boys - apart from things like blue monday and even then (now this really is sacrilige) the hardfloor remix is better than the original.

could just like them both, but that would spoil the debate, wouldn't it?

bassnation

the abyss
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Love ya Marc, but yer talkin out of yer arse on this one blud. Even Johnny marr thought New Order were better!

lol, ok, i might give them both a listen (stelfox style - what a great idea and what dedication to music that man has) and see how the passing of time has treated them both.

2stepfan said:
Huh? Phil Spector? rulez...

Nah, Meek was the man. Working out of his self-built studio, creating unearthly experimental pop records, taking on the major labels and scoring mega #1 hits on both sides of the atlentic. And he was a West Country lad too. He would've ruled the '60s if those poncey scouse mop-tops hadn't come along and ruined everything.

2stepfan said:
The monkees are one of the best, and most under-rated bands, ever.

Pleasant Valley Sunday, Shades of Grey, San ("What am I doing hanging round...") Antoine...

Yeah, but the Splitz had a way better TV programme :D

2stepfan said:

Harsh but fair in the circumstances. This thread is shaping up nicely, just the way I'd hoped: a free-ranging, semi-abusive discussion of the kind that only usually occures down the boozer about half an hour before last orders.

bassnation said:
lol, ok, i might give them both a listen (stelfox style - what a great idea and what dedication to music that man has) and see how the passing of time has treated them both.

yeah do it Marc - it's your assignment for the week. then after that you have to reassess the Pet Shop Boys. ;)

Dr.Doom

Umm...
Sega vs Nintendo

abit of an old one now but still,Nintendo Ds vs Sony PSP,coke a cola vs pepsi,mario vs sonic,man utd vs man city,macdonalds vs burger king

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Both in the shortlist for my original post! Call me crazy, but I reckon Spandau take the crown for 'Chant #1' alone. Tune! 'Cut a long story short' was pretty spiffing too. Duran never did much for me, apart from maybe 'Save A Prayer'.

Agree - apart from choice of Duran Duran song. "Girls on Film" is my Duran Duran moment (that intro with the motor of an old Nikon or something running, a noise which will make no sense in 10 years time when everyone bar .01% of the photographers will be using digital cameras).

Saw Hawkwind live here in Croydon a few months ago. Clearly the band has been smoking too much over the last 20 years and seems to have run out of ideas.
Their "new" single is "Spirit of the Age" (from their Quark, Strangeness&Charm album in '78ish) and some of their proper new material had a weak jazz-rock/big-band feel to it. Still - they did a storming version of "Silver Machine" (with some tiny Father-Xmas/Hells Angels/wizard guy guesting on guitar) ...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Anyone else out there agree that A-Ha's 'Scoundrel Days' album was pretty descent?
I think it's more an ugly descent than a pretty one. ;) I think 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' is a great pop tune.. and I like the way 'Take On Me' goes half-speed in the chorus, it obviously influenced the early junglists. :D Sadly, I never found Morten hot.

John mentioned Nick Heyward re: Howard Jones - think you crossed the streams buddy, the original showdown was with Nik Kershaw. Omaar tried to get me into 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', but have to follow the consensus with 'Wouldn't It Be Good'. That breakdown where he repeats "I don't want to be here no more" and the little trickly synths build in the background... hot diggety! OK, the solo that follows is utterly rancid, but nostalgia blinds me to that. ;)

Stelfox mentioned Alphaville, the Australian ABC had a kind of ambient re-rub of 'Forever Young' - those atmospheric intro bits, parts of the melody - over its station ads. I think with predictable shots of kids and stuff. Hmm.

Windsor Davies as a bolshy army musician in It Ain't Half Hot Mum
vs.
Windsor Davies as the voice of a spherical robot in Terrahawks

dHarry

Morrissey Vs Morr

Morrissey Vs Marr

Cliff Richard Vs Donny Osmond Vs Daniel O' Donnell

Nolan Sisters Vs Sister Sledge Vs the Corrs

Marylin Manson Vs Dee Snyder (Twisted Sister)

How about a song Vs an entire oeuvre or genre:

Blue Monday Vs techno

outro to Velvet Underground's What Goes On Vs Stereolab

Hawkwind's You Shouldn't Do That Vs Loop

Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive Vs Sonic Youth

King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man Vs Black Sabbath's Iron Man Vs heavy metal

owen

anthony burgess claimed coca-cola saved his life, y'know.

by the way bobble -so you want fight about new order vs jd eh? then defend world in motion, including john barnes' rap