PDA

View Full Version : burial dj kicks mix

Bang Diddley
22-04-2008, 09:35 AM
next dj kicks mix is going to be burial

'We hear whisperings from the studio that he may treat his dearest dubstep, techno and even r'n'b tracks with his unique production style before mixing them with exclusive material and... well watch this space'

anyone heard anything about this ?

originaldrum
22-04-2008, 11:27 AM
yay...

lamp post
22-04-2008, 11:28 AM
amazing but where did you hear this; is it up on the k7 site?

Bang Diddley
22-04-2008, 11:34 AM
amazing but where did you hear this; is it up on the k7 site?

ive not checked the website yet. but im on the !K7 mailing list for all my sins and it came through this morning.

mixed_biscuits
22-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to this!

jonny mugwump
22-04-2008, 12:53 PM
awesome- that sounds pretty damn exciting- really really hope he mangles it all burial stylee that would be goddamn wonderful !!!!!!

HMGovt
22-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm looking forward to looking forward to this then never listening to it again after the first week of mild disappointment. It's the Burial way.

polystyle desu
22-04-2008, 01:55 PM
lol HMG, that's what I thought when I got the K7 mail yesterday .

mixed_biscuits
22-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm looking forward to looking forward to this then never listening to it again after the first week of mild disappointment. It's the Burial way.

foo'

Leo
22-04-2008, 03:08 PM

LOL! i really like burial but have to admit having a similar experience.

slackk
23-04-2008, 03:27 PM

jokes. I wouldn't mind listening to Untrue again alongside that list of samples that disappeared from dubstepforum but I don't have it.

I'd imagine I'll enjoy this more than his actual output, though.

zhao
23-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't Cha (Burial Remix)

(of the original version of course)

jonny mugwump
06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, on the eve of DJ Kicks, Burial has ditched his anonymity on his myspace page saying it had become a problem. Its sad that he obviously felt pressurised to do this and quite a brave thing to do.

Its ok though, i just checked, the music's still great ;)

ChineseArithmetic
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Wasn't someone on here suggesting that Burial was actually some other artist in disguise and that the interviews with him were fake? Is that not so and he is just some ordinary bloke?

tryptych
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Yup, he's just an ordinary bloke...

Badga Tek
08-08-2008, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=exoticpylon;144408]Well, on the eve of DJ Kicks, Burial has ditched his anonymity on his myspace page saying it had become a problem. Its sad that he obviously felt pressurised to do this and quite a brave thing to do.[QUOTE]

Main reason he did it was because The Sun started a little witch hunt to unmask him. Which in itself was only as a result of his Mercury nomination. Guy who's written the articles is an absolute tit btw. But not surprising given he's a journalist for The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/article1508588.ece

straight
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
''He conducted a bizarre phone interview with music journalist Dan Hancox, who got his knickers in a twist when he didn't get a mention, where he confessed: “Only five people know I make tunes.”

???

how the hell do these people end up writing for a living? is it just a case of the poshest/stupidest people who can afford to work for free long enough they actually get in on the ground level?

noel emits
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
how the hell do these people end up writing for a living? is it just a case of the poshest/stupidest people who can afford to work for free long enough they actually get in on the ground level?
Man that's cold, you do realise Dan posts here don't you? :p

straight
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
not having a go at dan, im having a go at the retard at the sun who has pulled a pointless detail out of dan's story. i dont even understand what point he is trying to make with it

Badga Tek
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
''He conducted a bizarre phone interview with music journalist Dan Hancox, who got his knickers in a twist when he didn't get a mention, where he confessed: “Only five people know I make tunes.”

???

Oh it got even better. There was this:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1519321.ece

And my personal favourite:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1523986.ece

When even after Burial had posted up on his Myspace complete with picture, The Sun were still swayed by suggestions that it could be Dubluke off Dubstep Forum

straight
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
its really a sorry day when a national newspaper it staffed by such cloth eared idiots that it has to rely on its readers texting in the things from the internet in place of actual reporters. the guy must have been the only person in the country who hasnt heard on burial and thats the most qualified staffer they could find

dHarry
08-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Fair play, Will. well at least we know it's not Damon Albarn, Norman Cook or RDJ now :rolleyes:

noel emits
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
When even after Burial had posted up on his Myspace complete with picture, The Sun were still swayed by suggestions that it could be Dubluke off Dubstep Forum
This has put me in mind of the Chris Morris wind-up that was put on a single given away with Select I think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aqtcWVv5aM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aqtcWVv5aM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mos dan
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I am going to copy and paste what happened this week from an email I sent out to a couple of mates yesterday.

First, Gordon Smart printed this in his 'Bizarre' column about Burial on monday:

He conducted a Bizarre phone interview where he confessed: “Only five people know I make tunes.”

Except that was a total lie, that quote was from my face-to-face (not phone) interview in The Guardian. The quote was the headline to the article for god's sake, Smarting probably lifted it straight off Wikipedia.

I complained about this plagiarism about three times before I got a response. I was fobbed off with a lie about it being a subbing error:

this was a subbing error. Bizarre was lower case when I left the office. I wasn't passing it off as my own. I actually thought it was from The Wire?

This explanation is clearly twaddle. Gordon Smart sent a follow-up apologising, repeating the excuse, and offering me money, which of course I turned down:

Totally understand, and feel quite bad about it. It would drive me mad too as it had appeared. A bad mistake which I have slapped the wrists of a sub for. No ill-intentions I can assure you.

The thing is, by Wednesday he still hadn't found the time to correct the (much linked-to) original story, which was still claiming that Burial had given a phone interview to The Sun. I wrote him this email - in which, note, I specifically said the attribution did not need to name me:

since people are still linking to this article from the other day can you PLEASE get the online version changed immediately and correctly attribute it - it doesn't have to be to me, just the guardian - just not to bizarre. just change it so that you aren't continuing to claim it as your own 'phone' interview.

He then edited it to this, to make me look like a craven egotistical bastard:

He conducted a bizarre phone interview with music journalist Dan Hancox, who got his knickers in a twist when he didn't get a mention, where he confessed: "Only five people know I make tunes."

That is the end of a fucking shitty story. I was going to report him to the Press Complaints Commission but on the advice of the big man himself I'm going to allow him and move on. I would add that I think the Dubluke stuff is absolute gold though :)

Badga Tek
08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
That is the end of a fucking shitty story. I was going to report him to the Press Complaints Commission but on the advice of the big man himself I'm going to allow him and move on. I would add that I think the Dubluke stuff is absolute gold though :)

Of course, its entirely up to you, Dan, but I reckon you should report him. I know it sounds so obvious not to expect even a modicum of journalistic integrity or professionalism from The Sun but its not really on is it? A broadsheet wouldn't get away with it. And Smart seems such a pathetic little twat that its the least he deserves. Didn't even have the balls to admit his glaring error in public in even the most small-scale of ways (i.e. merely remove your name and credit it solely to an interview in the Guardian). But hey, maybe its not even worth the effort.

droid
08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
If I can go to all the hassle of registering with the sun and leaving a comment complaining (still unpublished), then the least you can do is report the wankers. ;)

Martin Dust
09-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I am going to copy and paste what happened this week from an email I sent out to a couple of mates yesterday.

Dan, he did the same to someone else, one of Plex lads sent him a load of windup mails and he published his email address and called him a moron - read it here:
http://www.littledetroit.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25046

m

jonny mugwump
09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Mr Agreeable wades into the argument:

http://thequietus.com/articles/mr-agreeable-a-ball-bearing-in-the-vas-deferens (http://thequietus.com/articles/mr-agreeable-a-ball-bearing-in-the-vas-deferens)

mixed_biscuits
17-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Is this thing out tomorrow?

mms
17-08-2008, 11:05 AM
doubt it there would have been a bit of fuss in the press had it been ready

jonny mugwump
17-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Looks like its been pushed back til 19th September now (according to Boomkat) :slanted:

Dusty
17-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Perhaps it will turn into one of those releases forever on preorder, always tantalizingly a month away for months and months like the Big Apple reprints or the Convextion CD.

mos dan
17-08-2008, 12:51 PM
i don't think he's even finished it, actually. we've probably a while to wait yet..

mms
17-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Looks like its been pushed back til 19th September now (according to Boomkat) :slanted:

damn im getting over to boomkat and preordering me a copy:p

descending_sort
18-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Amazon is under the impression it's been pushed back to November 11th already. I assume the real release date is "someday"?

Diggedy Derek
19-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I heard October today, so you know, preorder that and Chinese Democracy without delay.

straight
20-08-2008, 10:22 AM
why the hell is everyone so excited about a dj set by someone who no-ones heard play out? whats everyone expecting? hes gone on record to say itd be probably be a load of old jungle and maybe a new track. Do people think he'll play his sample sources? ie is insane?

in fact considering his record sales have gone up 360% or something (i am taking the metro as a source for this so it may be rubbish) since the mercury nominations how long till record companies start spotting bits and kode has to get himself a brief? that list may have disapered from dsforum but now the tabloids are involved in digging dirt up on the man its not a huge stretch of the imagination- 'Mercury Nominee's album made entirely of uncleared samples'

Tanadan
20-08-2008, 01:32 PM
This is a bit roundabout but the same question was asked on another message board and Martyn (the same) replied, after asking Burial or Kode9, and said that they had gotten permission for most of the samples after the record was released.

Tanadan
20-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh, and go on, I'm excited because he has good taste and it'd be a good way of hearing some jungle tunes that I otherwise never would hear.

HMGovt
20-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I've heard he's having trouble putting a donk on it.

mos dan
20-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I've heard he's having trouble putting a donk on it.

hehehe.

so, did anyone see the new issue of private eye? particularly the street of shame pages? hehehe.

straight
20-08-2008, 03:04 PM
This is a bit roundabout but the same question was asked on another message board and Martyn (the same) replied, after asking Burial or Kode9, and said that they had gotten permission for most of the samples after the record was released.

so they did it PAYG, nice.

i hope that means that shit from the sun got his comeuppance

IdleRich
20-08-2008, 03:07 PM
"so, did anyone see the new issue of private eye? particularly the street of shame pages? hehehe."
Go on then, give us a brief summary.

Bang Diddley
20-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Perhaps it will turn into one of those releases forever on preorder, always tantalizingly a month away for months and months like the Big Apple reprints or the Convextion CD.

The Convextion CD is out now. Its been sent out to me on monday. Ill hopefully have it to listen to tonight :)

mos dan
20-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Go on then, give us a brief summary.

erm, the piece is just a summary of what i posted on the previous page of this thread really. albeit squeezed into a more coherent and shorter article. if i could scan it i would, not that there's much point. i'm chuffed nonetheless, i've always loved street of shame.

IdleRich
20-08-2008, 04:05 PM
"erm, the piece is just a summary of what i posted on the previous page of this thread really. albeit squeezed into a more coherent and shorter article. if i could scan it i would, not that there's much point. i'm chuffed nonetheless, i've always loved street of shame."
Good work - were you involved in that happening? On the other hand, I wonder how many Sun readers read Private Eye? It's really his own readers who ought to see the way he's acted although I like to thing the SofS thing will be at least a minor irritation. I'll probably buy it this month anyway so I'll look out for the story.

mos dan
20-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Good work - were you involved in that happening? On the other hand, I wonder how many Sun readers read Private Eye? It's really his own readers who ought to see the way he's acted although I like to thing the SofS thing will be at least a minor irritation. I'll probably buy it this month anyway so I'll look out for the story.

yeah it's quite a petty and insubstantial kind of vengeance, but i enjoyed it :) - and yeah, i told private eye, at the suggestion of a fellow journo. i feel bad that private eye says i'm the only person who has interviewed burial though, that's just an error on their part - sorry martin, sorry nine, sorry k-punk!

btw, my friend sophie stuck the boot into gordon smarting the other week too: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/sophie-heawood-fame-is-for-the-fatuous-todays-big-names-go-for-no-name-at-all-889639.html

IdleRich
20-08-2008, 04:15 PM
yeah it's quite a petty and insubstantial kind of vengeance
The best kind.

Ory
20-08-2008, 05:07 PM
k-punk interviewed burial? which one was that?

Benny B
20-08-2008, 05:42 PM
k-punk interviewed burial? which one was that?

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/347/

Ory
20-08-2008, 06:11 PM
ah right, didn't realise it was the same Mark. makes sense then, the interviewer really knows what he's doing in that one.

viktorvaughn
21-08-2008, 09:15 AM
hehehe.

so, did anyone see the new issue of private eye? particularly the street of shame pages? hehehe.

Got my copy in the post yesterday, definite e-props.:cool: