burial dj kicks mix

straight

wings cru
its really a sorry day when a national newspaper it staffed by such cloth eared idiots that it has to rely on its readers texting in the things from the internet in place of actual reporters. the guy must have been the only person in the country who hasnt heard on burial and thats the most qualified staffer they could find

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
When even after Burial had posted up on his Myspace complete with picture, The Sun were still swayed by suggestions that it could be Dubluke off Dubstep Forum
This has put me in mind of the Chris Morris wind-up that was put on a single given away with Select I think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mos dan

fact music
I am going to copy and paste what happened this week from an email I sent out to a couple of mates yesterday.

First, Gordon Smart printed this in his 'Bizarre' column about Burial on monday:
He conducted a Bizarre phone interview where he confessed: “Only five people know I make tunes.”

Except that was a total lie, that quote was from my face-to-face (not phone) interview in The Guardian. The quote was the headline to the article for god's sake, Smarting probably lifted it straight off Wikipedia.

I complained about this plagiarism about three times before I got a response. I was fobbed off with a lie about it being a subbing error:
this was a subbing error. Bizarre was lower case when I left the office. I wasn't passing it off as my own. I actually thought it was from The Wire?

This explanation is clearly twaddle. Gordon Smart sent a follow-up apologising, repeating the excuse, and offering me money, which of course I turned down:

Totally understand, and feel quite bad about it. It would drive me mad too as it had appeared. A bad mistake which I have slapped the wrists of a sub for. No ill-intentions I can assure you.

The thing is, by Wednesday he still hadn't found the time to correct the (much linked-to) original story, which was still claiming that Burial had given a phone interview to The Sun. I wrote him this email - in which, note, I specifically said the attribution did not need to name me:

since people are still linking to this article from the other day can you PLEASE get the online version changed immediately and correctly attribute it - it doesn't have to be to me, just the guardian - just not to bizarre. just change it so that you aren't continuing to claim it as your own 'phone' interview.

He then edited it to this, to make me look like a craven egotistical bastard:

He conducted a bizarre phone interview with music journalist Dan Hancox, who got his knickers in a twist when he didn't get a mention, where he confessed: "Only five people know I make tunes."

That is the end of a fucking shitty story. I was going to report him to the Press Complaints Commission but on the advice of the big man himself I'm going to allow him and move on. I would add that I think the Dubluke stuff is absolute gold though :)

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
That is the end of a fucking shitty story. I was going to report him to the Press Complaints Commission but on the advice of the big man himself I'm going to allow him and move on. I would add that I think the Dubluke stuff is absolute gold though :)

Of course, its entirely up to you, Dan, but I reckon you should report him. I know it sounds so obvious not to expect even a modicum of journalistic integrity or professionalism from The Sun but its not really on is it? A broadsheet wouldn't get away with it. And Smart seems such a pathetic little twat that its the least he deserves. Didn't even have the balls to admit his glaring error in public in even the most small-scale of ways (i.e. merely remove your name and credit it solely to an interview in the Guardian). But hey, maybe its not even worth the effort.

D

droid

If I can go to all the hassle of registering with the sun and leaving a comment complaining (still unpublished), then the least you can do is report the wankers. ;)

Dusty

Tone deaf
Perhaps it will turn into one of those releases forever on preorder, always tantalizingly a month away for months and months like the Big Apple reprints or the Convextion CD.

straight

wings cru
why the hell is everyone so excited about a dj set by someone who no-ones heard play out? whats everyone expecting? hes gone on record to say itd be probably be a load of old jungle and maybe a new track. Do people think he'll play his sample sources? ie is insane?

in fact considering his record sales have gone up 360% or something (i am taking the metro as a source for this so it may be rubbish) since the mercury nominations how long till record companies start spotting bits and kode has to get himself a brief? that list may have disapered from dsforum but now the tabloids are involved in digging dirt up on the man its not a huge stretch of the imagination- 'Mercury Nominee's album made entirely of uncleared samples'

Tanadan

likes things
This is a bit roundabout but the same question was asked on another message board and Martyn (the same) replied, after asking Burial or Kode9, and said that they had gotten permission for most of the samples after the record was released.

Tanadan

likes things
Oh, and go on, I'm excited because he has good taste and it'd be a good way of hearing some jungle tunes that I otherwise never would hear.