QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
blackberry hype would totally smash the dance, i reckon

This isn't good at all. Silva doesn't like it either. Marcus made reference to it on his facebook last night and another blog dissed it last week. The scene is in uproar and Donaeo has signed this Ring A Roses track and also put a few bars on it himself.

DivShare File - Ring_A_Roses_M.wav

I tried to host it somewhere earlier but could only find download sites. If anyone could help me to get this up, an inbox message would be most appreciated :D

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Got Loser and Move Down Low masters today. Sound pretty good.

Blew up on Saturday in Bristol and lifted kode's set at FWD.

Let you know when there's a release date.

Simon78

This isn't good at all. Silva doesn't like it either. Marcus made reference to it on his facebook last night and another blog dissed it last week. The scene is in uproar and Donaeo has signed this Ring A Roses track and also put a few bars on it himself.

DivShare File - Ring_A_Roses_M.wav

I tried to host it somewhere earlier but could only find download sites. If anyone could help me to get this up, an inbox message would be most appreciated :D

The beat on that Ring A Roses is quality. The lyrics are criminal.

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
The beat on that Ring A Roses is quality. The lyrics are criminal.

That's actually the saddest thing about it. I think this is the beginning of the end for the respectable Funky MC though. Donaeo had so much support and now he's being seen as another person who's in it for the money.

I can only hope another host/mc will be able to fill his boots otherwise there could be some very political times ahead with regards to MCs on tracks. Maxwell D hasn't really got the potential so its a bit open at the moment.

Interesting times lie ahead.

My mate Moony's mix; I'm on it as well, so feel free to treat as self-promo and ignore ;)

Tracklisting:
01. Skepta - Sweet Mother (house mix)
02. Teedra Moses - Just wanna be (moony remix)
03. Todd Terry All Stars - Get down (wookie dub)
04. Kimona - I see you
05. D.V.A - Hard house
06. Skepta - Sunglasses at night (dj naughty funky mix)
07. **cant remember** - ??
08. Perempay & Dee ft. Katie Pearl - In the air (bopstar's wonky mix)
09. Moony - Donnie
10. Merkury + Plasma ft Marika Diamond - Rewind N Replay
11. Jalla - Turbulence
12. Addictive - Girl like me (dj naughty remix)
13. Swift Jay - Toppa 5
14. Slackk - High
15. ES Tee ft. Tasha - Touch on me
16. Geeneus - All night long
17. Erykah Badu - On & On (moony remix)
18. N.B Funky - Riddim box
19. Armand Van Helden - Funk phenomena

download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tsio9y

nomos

Administrator
those vocals are weak but no worse than anything else he's since, i don't know, bounce. this slow-evolving funky narrative of his is just goofy..

"she's just a devil, whereas i'm a warrior and i roll with my 'stick' in my hand cos i party hard." right.

and the epic/horny/harrybelafonte delivery is so grating

Last edited:

Simon78

those vocals are weak but no worse than anything else he's since, i don't know, bounce. this slow-evolving funky narrative of his is just goofy..

"she's just a devil, whereas i'm a warrior and i roll with my 'stick' in my hand cos i party hard." right.

and the epic/horny/harrybelafonte delivery is so grating

I was watching Eskimo Dance the other day and Donaeo gets air every time he is on the mic with his Farmer Yardie and Bounce lyrics.

I really like Love To Happen, Party Hard, the Toddla T remix he did and his production is quality. I can even handle the Heads Shoulders remix he did as the beat is so good. I'm sure he will still write loads of tunes I like.

I went to a night recently and the tunes that got people rushing to the dancefloor were the Migraine Skank, Heads Shoulders, Ring A Roses, Party Hard and that BBK one so some people really like that style.

It doesn't matter, I'm sure there will still be loads of tunes I like.

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
I went to a night recently and the tunes that got people rushing to the dancefloor were the Migraine Skank, Heads Shoulders, Ring A Roses, Party Hard and that BBK one so some people really like that style.

Too Many Man.....

I find this rather disturbing.... Can I ask where you were? :confused:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
in the morning - fuzzy logik

my oh my.

dappa at uptown told me FL has tons of really top draw stuff, lets hope he gets some distro/releases sorted!

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
Yeah, thats it.

I was at Urban Affair in Camden. It was quite a young crowd and they were loving it. Each to their own.

I hear you. The disturbing thought was more of a more mature crowd migraine skanking. There's something that just doesn't sit right about 30+ year olds doing these dances. It'd be comedy really I suppose lol :D

Simon78

I hear you. The disturbing thought was more of a more mature crowd migraine skanking. There's something that just doesn't sit right about 30+ year olds doing these dances. It'd be comedy really I suppose lol :D

The radio station I am on does the night so I went along to support and I wanted to watch Spooky DJ.

They looked 18/19 something like that, they were just having fun.

After hearing D-Malice & Sami Sanchez at your magazine launch I don't think there is anything to worry about. There are plenty of quality tunes on the way. :)

moolac

in the morning - fuzzy logik

my oh my.

dappa at uptown told me FL has tons of really top draw stuff, lets hope he gets some distro/releases sorted!

yes this tune is great. not mad on all of the vocal lines but maybe they will grow on me or someone will do a dub...

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
After hearing D-Malice & Sami Sanchez at your magazine launch I don't think there is anything to worry about. There are plenty of quality tunes on the way. :)

Very valid point. There are many producers out there making quality music. I've just posted a blog about Deep Teknologi which I know were mentioned earlier. They're doing alot for me right now (pardon the pun). Also on the list are Invasion Crew. Those guys are on fire! MA-1's Waterfalls has to be my favourite track of the moment. It has a real vintage feel to it...... There really isn't enough vocal stuff about though :mad:

Tim F

I think it's a bit premature to start predicting the death of the credible funky MC - "Bound For Da Reload" hardly made a great case for serious garage MCing but look what it ultimately led to.

At any rate I think trying to read the dance tunes in grime or quasi-grime terms skews things a bit.

To me it's as much like dancehall, where Elephan Man say can do absolutely silly gimmick tunes (does anyone remember his awesome Christmas track "Badman Holiday", to the tune of "Ding Dong Merrily On High") and then do really dark actual badman tunes the next week as if there's no contradiction there.

I'm not positive that funky will approach things with quite that level of equanimity - more likely that individual MCs or crews will position themselves at various points along that continuum. Really so far only Donaeo has been able to set himself up as having the capacity to cover all bases... but then, only Donaeo has really emerged as a "character" artist on the scene to date.

my big tunes at the moment are:

Funkystepz - Trinity Hill
Mos' Wanted - Frozen
Mercurial Myrmidon - Moving Shapes
Lil' Silva - Sunshine
That remix of J-Will's "Deja Vu"

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's funny to see the olders getting upset about MC tunes again, it's UKG circa "Smoke Da Reefah" all over again. and we all know where that lead to.

Thing is there's fundamentally one big difference in 2009 to 2000: grime exists. Before MCs, as they got pushed out of UKG by the house n garage olders, had no where to go. Now, if they pop over for a funky/grime crossover track, they can always go back to grime if they want to keep it mostly lyrical...

It's a curious situation not only because of that, but also because some of the MCs now getting involved have their inbuilt fanbases that in theory could be beneficial for own status.
Like the Ghetto "Seasons" vocal- Logan reckons Lil Silva sent him the vocal, which kind of goes against the "no MCs" situation really. It's different with "failed" grime MCs like KIG Fam or Gracious K, you can dismiss them, but if you want a scene to grow do you ignore BBK with their profile? You can't.