Benny Bunter

Fuck it, theres no way thats a version of House Girls, surely its an off-target ID caused by the snatch of HG coming in at the end.

I think this audio was ripped from one of my recordings actually. Maybe the dude who uploaded it comes on dissensus?

gumdrops

i still dont know what wanting 'ultra dark funky' really means. i mean, can it get darker and more 'end of the world' in vibe than house girls? have you HEARD the bass on that?! or shay and sinistas merge riddim? are you sure you guys like funky? :p theres lots of dark tracks around. its just not taken over the scene. which isnt necessarily a bad thing really. and its not like there isnt enough of it. for all the talk a while back about wanting 'rude energy' (much as i hate that term), its really bizarre to not like the quite obvious rude energy that is there in funky. i mean, yeah i dont like the crappy vocals either - i dont hate vocals on sight however - but i like that you can get a tune like fuzzy logiks leader (basically like wiley doing funky) or roskas i need love or perempays buss it as well as a tune like house girls (that rip on youtube isnt house girls btw, its something else) or shay and sinistas merge riddim (which is fucking brutal btw). even a tune like crazy cousins' extortion is pretty bloody dark. but its still dancey which is good. maybe if it all went dark it would be amazing too and lead to all sorts of abstracted funky tracks which im not against but the sort of push and pull between all the diff elements right now is what makes instrumental funky so good imo. im not too into the wishy washy house muzak type stuff but i dont need it all dark-DARK - tracks like buss it and leader are amazing too. i hate that devine collecctive track where they go on about playing their bongos tho.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
also gumdrops, I agree, anyone saying that there needs to be more 'darkness' in funky still probably thinks it's all 'do you mind'

Last edited:

gumdrops

when it comes to the songs, i wish it WAS more like do you mind! ;)

anyway if you want dark/different (or whatever) funky, roskas show today at 5pm is b2b with champion and funkystepz.

if however you have decided that tunes like funkystepz' fuller arent tough enough then there is always ikonika b2b with grl unit at 3pm (i just checked the rinse site, i dont work for them).

Last edited:

tom lea

amstam's new 12" sounded like rolling uk house gone ultra ultra darkside the one time i heard it. i dont love it or anything but some of you in this thread might, judging from the last few pages.

rrrivero

This one's getting played by the likes of Marcus Nasty and Eastwood, but I think it fits better in this thread. I think.

Benny Bunter

^ other than old grime stuff I've become pretty much allergic to halfstep. Not sure why its turning up in funky sets at all, too ploddy.

highhhness

one does

I generally love oneman mixes, and i know he takes a bit of a different approach to boiler room sets, but i really REALLY can't get with this level of bouncing about genre-wise, 30 seconds at a time/per tune. he comes over as someone who really love music across the board - i know he's professed a love of jeff buckley, for example - but i wish he'd make his sets hang together just a little bit more cohesively.

he's got skills upon skills, obv, but imo they get lost a bit in all the eclecticism. watched back his dubstepwars set the other day and was really struck by the difference...

Benny Bunter

XP

Well, I wouldn't say I disliked it as such but its certainly not a direction I'd like Marcus to follow any further. It definitely belongs in this thread rather than the funky one.