Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah I know what you mean, although I feel some of the sounds and rhythmic motion of it still have traces of funky. I doubt tunes like that are going to become some kind of big 'thing' in funky anyway.

Edit: this was in reply to Benny. Ory I think the remix you're talking about is by Deadboy:

alex

Do not read this.
uh, way to ruin a classic, not only have those samples been rinsed to pieces, but that remix is horrible. Why not just play the original? It blends into most 135-140, piece of piss..

that matt IQ tune is nice tho

edit* those beneath tunes are quality

Last edited:

rrrivero

@Benny It's not a direction I want Marcus/Eastwood to go in either (even though Eastwood's already made some dubstep tunes), they're probably playing it because Matt's made some funky tunes in the past. I think it's a nice little deviation though, as long as there isn't too much of it.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
I generally love oneman mixes, and i know he takes a bit of a different approach to boiler room sets, but i really REALLY can't get with this level of bouncing about genre-wise, 30 seconds at a time/per tune. he comes over as someone who really love music across the board - i know he's professed a love of jeff buckley, for example - but i wish he'd make his sets hang together just a little bit more cohesively.

he's got skills upon skills, obv, but imo they get lost a bit in all the eclecticism. watched back his dubstepwars set the other day and was really struck by the difference...

yeah i fully agree with this.

i think his sets have changed a fair bit since moving to serato

Phaedo

I generally love oneman mixes, and i know he takes a bit of a different approach to boiler room sets, but i really REALLY can't get with this level of bouncing about genre-wise, 30 seconds at a time/per tune. he comes over as someone who really love music across the board - i know he's professed a love of jeff buckley, for example - but i wish he'd make his sets hang together just a little bit more cohesively.

he's got skills upon skills, obv, but imo they get lost a bit in all the eclecticism. watched back his dubstepwars set the other day and was really struck by the difference...

His older sets with less genre hopping were amazing... But I love the guts he has in these mixes, and the fact he can make people go with it is great.

That said I would like to hear him do more "traditional" sets; as you said his skills can get lost in the eclecticism.

FairiesWearBoots

I dont think its his best work at all but this review just comes off as a tramline,

it was james Blake, now its easy to target Jamie XX - easy to hate

gumdrops

it does deserve a pasting. even if the tune starts out quite nicely. but its odd to target him for a critical beatdown when it seems plenty of other offenders are doing much the same thing (admittedly maybe a bit better).

SecondLine

standard behaviour for RA though right, didn't they review that Skrillex EP just so they could have a good old SCOFF

In fact I think that was Andrew Ryce writing as well.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Whats the original here?
I think the hook and vocal where from the same tune but I can't think of it.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/16574329"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/16574329" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">MAKE IT DIFFICULT FOR YOU Out Soon...</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/faltydl">FaltyDL</a></span>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not into that Jamie XX tune and the criticisms made in the RA review are more or less valid. I did like the mix Jamie XX did for Benji B's show, to my surprise actually as I'd always thought him and The XX were overrated (but then I'm not really into indie anymore so I thought perhaps thats what was going over my head). I like that Adele RMX, too... the 'You Got The Love RMX' was alright as well... I can kind of see the argument that he takes rhythms from garage and funky but somehow transplants the main 'importance' or vitality or whatever of the track within the melodies/melancholic chords etc. I think that can work, but it won't ever fulfill the same criteria as tracks by actual funky producers who generally are much stronger rhythmically.

Interesting to see the same sort of criticisms made in the comments under the review that are being made in here. I suppose a backlash is inevitable given the amount of critical hype the 'post-dubstep' scene has got. The strength of the reaction against this tune is at least partly in reaction to that critical hype, isn't it?

gremino

Moster Sirphine
i could imagine 'far nearer' used as a dj-tool - dropped straight without blend and played for 1min, like dnb djs do with all the classics.

re: post-dubstep. tbh i think post-dubstep (and future garage etc.) was a wrong kind of backclash against wobble in the first place. both of these styles/crowds are the same in a way how they go toward extremes: tearout midrange wobble or headphone deepness. but where's the 'nuum's middle point where 'masculine meets feminime, darkness meets lightness, deepness meets danceably, abstract noises meets song writing etc etc? that kind of black and whiteness of former example (like in the current dubstep scene) has always bothered me where there's only two options: full on/tearout or deep/"fully experimental".

this is something i'v been thinking (and desperately trying to get happen): we need a backclash against for both of these styles/attitudes.

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
also, while i think that review was a bit harsh, maybe this is also a backclash against 00's "if you don't like it, say nothing"-positivism?