joe.dfx

who knows...
saying 'dark funky' has to influence the "core" producer/djs in order for it to have merit is pretty stupid imo.

'black sun' probably influenced a lot more people then ill blu has (total speculation, really) just given the stature that Kode9 has vs them (who are pretty much unknown outside the small group of followers.)

the only 'funky/dark funky' is going to get any movement is from the outsiders. the core in funky right now seem to not really care about growing the scene, given the relatively small out put, time to get stuff out, and availibility of finding the releases.

the fringe artist in funky have probably done alot more then the core has as broadening it's interests. most people i dj with know who Night Slugs are but have no clue who HHB is or even Roska sometimes.

(i love how this thread is about nothing and everything all at once...and beards.)

Benny Bunter

saying 'dark funky' has to influence the "core" producer/djs in order for it to have merit is pretty stupid imo.

'black sun' probably influenced a lot more people then ill blu has (total speculation, really) just given the stature that Kode9 has vs them (who are pretty much unknown outside the small group of followers.)

the only 'funky/dark funky' is going to get any movement is from the outsiders. the core in funky right now seem to not really care about growing the scene, given the relatively small out put, time to get stuff out, and availibility of finding the releases.

the fringe artist in funky have probably done alot more then the core has as broadening it's interests. most people i dj with know who Night Slugs are but have no clue who HHB is or even Roska sometimes.

(i love how this thread is about nothing and everything all at once...and beards.)

Thing is, this conversation about black sun was in the context of talking about the funky scene, on which that tune has had no influence at all. To my knowledge no one in funky has ever played it in a set. However, funky definitely had an influence on black sun, even it just got kode 9 thinking about making tunes with slower tempos. It was debuted at a time when Kode 9 was introducing Roska and Apple tunes into his sets. In terms of actual impact on how uk funky sounds though, its pretty much a one way relationship.

As for UK funky not caring about growing as a scene, I have to disagree. The aspiration and ambition is there, but there seems to be practically no support from the music industry and press helping it along. Its just kept bubbling under.

wascal

Wild Horses
well, no disrespect to Wascal at all, but in your very next breath you just endorsed "some dark speed funky on kid 606's label", which to my ears doesn't sound too far away from what I'd imagine Aphex doing with funky really.

Thanks, I think ;) Never set out to make anything that fits the description above, but I have a bit of a beard so thats how it panned out.

Benny Bunter

Thanks, I think ;) Never set out to make anything that fits the description above, but I have a bit of a beard so thats how it panned out.

I was just reacting more to the description rather than the track itself tbh. And yes I agree that genre names in 2011 are at an all time low ;)

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
but there seems to be practically no support from the music industry and press helping it along.

Its interesting though.

One hand we have the situation where scenes aren't getting a chance to incubate due to coverage and on the other, not getting support is seen as a hindrance.

On the other point 'dark' funky was around when I first heard about it and that was a long time before Black Sun or any sort of dubstep spin offs.
The likes of Donaeo even had dark tunes way back no?

Benny Bunter

Its interesting though.

One hand we have the situation where scenes aren't getting a chance to incubate due to coverage and on the other, not getting support is seen as a hindrance.

I've said this before I think, but I reckon part of the reason Funky has been IMO pretty consistently exciting for a good 4 year stretch is because of this incubation away from the limelight. I mean, its already had quite a long run hasn't it? Yet people like Ill Blu and Funkystepz and many others are at the top of their game at the moment. I don't really want to whinge too much about funky not getting enough coverage for that reason. Maybe if Do You Mind or In the Morning had become the massive hits I hoped they would be, the funky scene might have died off completely by now?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I've said this before I think, but I reckon part of the reason Funky has been IMO pretty consistently exciting for a good 4 year stretch is because of this incubation away from the limelight. I mean, its already had quite a long run hasn't it? Yet people like Ill Blu and Funkystepz and many others are at the top of their game at the moment. I don't really want to whinge too much about funky not getting enough coverage for that reason. Maybe if Do You Mind or In the Morning had become the massive hits I hoped they would be, the funky scene might have died off completely by now?

Yip, I was going to go off into a ramble along those lines but basically. Its in the clubs, its on the pirates. What else does any breed of music need?

Stating the obvious as its happened so many times already, there is always the danger the strand that gets popular (and possible lucrative) becomes the default and everything else goes out the window. Beginning of the end.

Summer season getting under way proper now too so hopefully things should hopefully move up another gear.

[/funky]

Getting back to this thread. Its seems interesting in my neck of the woods where wobble nights have almost completely disappeared and at the same time so many DJs are now playing post dubstep for the desperate want of another term.

After years of piss taking and resistance the acceptable face of dubstep seems to have arrived and London has replaced Berlin over night.

jimitheexploder

I sware Black Sun was getting played by people like DVA, Roska and Cooly G around that time. They where thought of as more stright up funky people back then too, now they straddle the line a bit more...

Funky has always been a bit dark to me, I mean early Roska, Hardhouse Banton, Apple, Lil Silva, Ill Blu, whatever wasn't quite sunshine and skipping in the park. Just raw bass heavy productions.

The Deep Teknologi guys have a dark techy thing going on. Champion sounds like that older funky business, there is an energy to it thats kinda dark. Not a 'I'll snatch your kids' kinda dark atmosphere or anything but its just this no holds barred raw energy thats to relentless to be much else. Try playing it with sunny house tracks and you hear a massive chasm. Ill Blu kinda have it too, but with a even more bombastic edge, Funkystepz n'all. I mean would you say any of that stuff is light?

Ory

warp drive
zander hardy was already mentioned a few pages back but yeah, it's techstep meets funky pretty much...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

edit: also another thing i found out somewhat recently... zander was making raw percussive tracks as dj virus, at the height of grime. proto-funky in a way. this track is from 2003.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
rude sting is one of my favourite grime tracks, remember slim used to batter that one, i still do, quality tune, so is the VIP

FairiesWearBoots

does funky have a weekly/regular night to incubate the sound? (Like FWD/PP was for dubstep?) I am not aware of one (but I dont go raving in Ilford much)
I think that is a big draw for a scene

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
zander hardy was already mentioned a few pages back but yeah, it's techstep meets funky pretty much...

edit: also another thing i found out somewhat recently... zander was making raw percussive tracks as dj virus, at the height of grime. proto-funky in a way. this track is from 2003.

this is amazing, really dystopian.... what background is he from?

dont forget Fis-T regarding darkside funky, night hunter is what i think of when i think of that term

CrowleyHead

@Shadow Face; I'm saying... when Funky producers hear 'false Funky', do you think they get that the other producers think they're making the same music they make? Like... I imagine that Ill Blu, Funkystepz, Circle, Crazy Cousinz, etc. etc. all think they're in the same genre, just doing it differently. If you were to play them all "Black Sun", do you think they'd recognize that as a "Funky" tune?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
does funky have a weekly/regular night to incubate the sound? (Like FWD/PP was for dubstep?) I am not aware of one (but I dont go raving in Ilford much)
I think that is a big draw for a scene

Yoyos in Notting Hill seems to be a place that a lot of the producers and djs in the scene go to hang out, I think they play other stuff apart from funky though.

Crowley I think you kind of answered your own question when talking about DVA (who I like) - there are and have been plenty of dark tunes in funky, but the reason there haven't been more, or something approaching a fully-fledged darkside movement in the scene yet is probably in part that people involved with it don't want to just rehash existing dark sounds like dubstep or d'n'b or whatever and bolt them onto a funky beat. They'd prefer the darkness to develop in a more organic, integrated way that fits the sounds and vibes funky already has

In a way I think this is another example of the internet putting everything under the microscope and leading to fans anticipating every possible development of the sound, which if anything has a counter active effect. When you think about how it's actually happened in the past, these sort of developments have always taken time. UK garage had a good 3-4 years before it went fully darkside, hardcore had maybe about 2-3 years and even when you listen to old sets from 93 it wasn't all dark tunes that were getting played.

A lot of the funky producers I'd associate with darkness have already been mentioned: Fis-T, the Deep Tek guys, LR Groove, Murdz, Lil Silva. I'd also add Illmana, Razzlerman, Mista Bee, Jook 10 & Sunday Roast. Then there's people like Major Notes, Carnao, Miss Fire & Smoove Kriminal who do a mixture of darker and more upbeat tunes. As Paulo mentioned there's also loads of grimey bits coming through from guys like Eastwood, Champion, Alpha 27, Formula, Naughty Raver, Walton, Spookz etc, though I wouldn't call all of it explicitly dark, just... grimey.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Oneman played something by Redlight about fifteen minutes ago that had a nice grimey-yet-bouncy thing going on

Damien

Someone texted me the other day with 'wow! have you heard that new Jamie XX tune!!!'

I just replied telling them I'll have to check it out sometime, I'm trying hard not to come across as a hater :D