rrrivero

re: jamie xx

wtf is this fluffy twee shit

can music get any weaker than this?
damn fucking straight
really not feeling that jamie xx tune or much of his stuff for that matter, struggle to see what the hype is about
I thought NY Is Killing Me was well good, don't remember any other tracks from that remix cd though, I guess they were decent

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
whose DSF?

Dubstepforum. I like Jamie XX's stuff myself, I think it's interesting

Re dark UKF - Lil Silva and Slackk make some darkside tunes that are still Funky (just about). I'm not really in the loop with that sort of thing but I've heard other tunes that are pretty darn grimey

SecondLine

Swamp81 on Rinse til 1.

I'd say they're pretty much the most consistent and interesting sound coming through (along with hessle), and it increasingly sounds more like bouncy, percussive techno/electro than anything else.

Sounding great at the moment.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Yeah locked. Benny Ill is now apparently making 4x4 garage, it's a lot

I suspect that I'm going to be bored of the Swamp 81 sound soon but for now I'm still liking it. Wee micro-scenes coming and going y'know...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Benny Ill is now apparently making 4x4 garage, it's a lot

This is great news. Seems like a lot of the originators had a chance to come back when 2step was having the first revival and most of then came out with the most underwhelming halfstep. They've paid their dues I suppose.

I suspect that I'm going to be bored of the Swamp 81 sound soon but for now I'm still liking it. Wee micro-scenes coming and going y'know...

I think its getting far more hype then it warrants (ie. people going on like its groundbreaking)
But there is definitely enough talent there for something to emerge.

Loefah is going to come back and change the game again I hope. Has to happen really.
(edit: even though it completely goes against what I said above...)

Liking they Bodika/JOrb one though. Had a good boogie to it at the weekend.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Eh... Silva is just so... BLAH to me. He doesn't make tunes that sound properly dark. I'm not looking for "Rough" really, but maybe a lot more darker, percussive, maybe minimal. EVIL sounding Funky, stripping it back, perhaps making it more tribal and urban. But I'm not looking for carnival music with 'off-key' synths.

Actually, I think that's the problem with future garage. When grime guys were making grime, how many of them were thinking rhythmically, and doing it on bootleg computer programs, or MPCs, or Playstations, and so couldn't really do notes. Whereas in future garage, these are all done on 'keyboard' controllers, so they get distracted by the notes and chords and pitching and all this unnecessary stuff.

Also, nobody can complain about future garage because at least you have future garage. America's got witch-house, and if you want to talk about a totally aimless moving scene...

SecondLine

I think its getting far more hype then it warrants (ie. people going on like its groundbreaking)
But there is definitely enough talent there for something to emerge.

This is it though, another sicko cell or footcrab will kill it, ridiculous hype which no single tune could ever live up to, stifles creativity and slows the output while everybody bombards loefah's email account asking when this one tune will be pressed.

Sicko Cell was so strange, I don't think I ever saw a crowd lose their shit because they wanted to dance to it, it was always just that roar of recognition and all the gun fingers when the vocal came in. I think the idea of it/hype around it vastly overtook the dancefloor potential of the tune itself.

gumdrops

i really liked that jamie xx tune until the minute mark. can ppl stop treating their vocals with james blake type fx. its really shit now. but the track isnt that bad, its just the vocals that ruin it. the drums arent terrible but his music would be much better without drum programming. it would be nice ambient indie. but if this sort of indiefied 'uk bass' carries on with xx the figurehead/inspiration, im dreading what this scene will end up sounding like. i liked what he did with the xx more than his solo stuff. the idea of taking dance ideas and concepts to guitar music was more interesting and better (though even there the 'we so sensitive' thing got annoying after a bit) than his attempts at proper dance music.

i really dont get sicko cell. but if loefah wants to 'change the game' the way to do it isnt really to regurgitate old electro in a somewhat limited 'dark' turgid fashion but to take something a bit fresher like funky, something a bit - but not totally - out of his comfort zone and fuck it up. then you guys might get the dark funky you want (im guessing youre after a techstep type of funky though, cos you get dark rollers in funky already, stuff that though not dark like grime or dubstep, has a certain hard energy to it, which is good enough for me - i mean if lil silvas tracks dont get you hype/wanting to hit something, then idk what to say - you might be better off listening to vexd or something, lil silva is like the swizz beats of funky imo, well he was until the latest ep he put out, i wish funky producers, if they want to 'progress' and get all hyperdub, instead of getting more rigid and stiff they would just use more progressive/different arrangements in their tracks rather than totally change their style).

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The jamie xx tune sounds a lot better if you think of it as a really good indie tune rather than a really weak garage tune, I find.

Re Loefah, I think music that's made by someone thinking "what would be the correct sound to be pushing right now to change the game" is almost never going to change the game. Being overly self conscious and prescriptive about what tropes you should and should not be pushing seems to me to be a large part of the problem with the more boring bits of the post dubstep scene.

gumdrops

loefah also strikes me as someone who is very self conscious or at least very particular about what his music should and shouldnt be which i think will inhibit him from the off. i cant see him changing any game at this stage. i think dubstep will be the only thing he could make. its weird how certain producers just run out of inspiration/steam for their own music. plastician apparently doesnt produce anything anymore either. i guess whats going on just isnt firing them up.

SecondLine

Re Loefah, I think music that's made by someone thinking "what would be the correct sound to be pushing right now to change the game" is almost never going to change the game. Being overly self conscious and prescriptive about what tropes you should and should not be pushing seems to me to be a large part of the problem with the more boring bits of the post dubstep scene.

I haven't read Simon Reynolds' new book but I'm guessing this hyper-awareness of the mechanisms of the music's development & self-reflexiveness would be one of his arguments for why the internet has made EVERYTHING SHIT EVER.

I agree with you though.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
indiefied 'uk bass'

:eek:

strikes me as someone who is very self conscious or at least very particular about what his music should and shouldnt be

This comes across in the blackdown Kriptic minds interview, he at least has a very good idea of what he wants to make. I still believe he has another horror show in him anyway.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
loefah also strikes me as someone who is very self conscious or at least very particular about what his music should and shouldnt be which i think will inhibit him from the off. i cant see him changing any game at this stage. i think dubstep will be the only thing he could make. its weird how certain producers just run out of inspiration/steam for their own music. plastician apparently doesnt produce anything anymore either. i guess whats going on just isnt firing them up.
It's not that weird - I think it's pretty hard for people to make music that doesn't come naturally to them and have it really speak to people and resonate. So if the music moves on to a place that someone isn't really interested in, they either have to hop the trend but not really be on top of it or just stick to what they enjoy and deal with not being cutting edge any more. A lot's made of the number of DJs and producers who made the jump from jungle to garage, but there are a lot more who either stayed with the scene as it went to shit and ended up knocking out clownstep to put food on the table or just carried on producing slightly modernized 1995 jungle for an ever decreasing audience...

If anything, expecting any good dubstep producer to be able to move seamlessly into dark funky because it's the natural next step in the meta-narrative that we've built around the scene is what's weird...

gumdrops

thats what all the 'nuumologists' seem to believe though isnt it. that most producers will just move from one sound to the next seamlessly.

FairiesWearBoots

I loved "NY is killing me'' and some of the other stuff he has done - he certainly seems to take more risks than some other 'new' producers, I would rather listen to his stuff than Mount Kimbie or (most of) James Blake's stuff
Far Nearer is alright - but doesnt hold the weight of the hype, I can see it being caned as a Glastonbury/summer track on BBC

I agree with the net actually holding back progress, everyone is so connected and watching everyone else, that as soon as some new sound is even halfway progressing, there are heads deconstructing it, critiquing it and declaring it over by lunchtime,
everything is under the microscope and anaylsed at such high speeds that if there is a next sound, it will have to be strong enough to survive the 'germination' process

I think it can only come from the clubs, not online.
Drum and bass had blue note, Dubstep had FWD etc, these places birthed a sound and educated people

CrowleyHead

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Dark Funky's going to happen, it's got to be guys who aren't getting love in Dubstep.

My understanding (and someone hit me in the head if my interpretation is wrong) but dark garage was a lot of guys who were junglists sitting around being bored because they were all supposed to get love in jungle, but nobody was really giving them a shot; not unlike so many of the grime guys being former junglists ... So they went over to Garage because it was a new scene.

By that same right, somebody like say, Ramadanman making Funky doesn't count, because it's overt. If anything, he's like a Steve Gurley figure where there's a dude who's already famous from his 'dying genre' music moving into the 'living genre' for some records. What has to happen is guys in dubstep who aren't even getting recognition for their efforts are going to look at people like Jamie XX getting blown for being Jamie XX, they're going to mutter "Fuck this shit..." and they're going to start making Funky, but keep it interesting in the way they need it to be.

If the parallel is right.

Future Garage... Is essentially turning itself into garage's death knell.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Why are people acting like "dark funky" is a june 2011 idea when "Black Sun" was being played in 2008 and this is a 58,508 view thread about what dubsteppers did under the influence of uk funky in the time since?

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
Why are people acting like "dark funky" is a june 2011 idea when "Black Sun" was being played in 2008 and this is a 58,508 view thread about what dubsteppers did under the influence of uk funky in the time since?

yeah there are only two purposes to this thread

1. trolling

2. saying whatever is 'new' has been done before