SecondLine

On the contrary man, your answers are never anything but coherent - but with that piece it feels like maybe word limit played more of a part in editing decisions than it should have done.

maybe that's just me...I'm a sucker for a 6000 word marathon sesh

SecondLine

Also Corpsey...

Problem with thinking/writing about music (ditto producing) is that you become obsessed with the technical aspects of music... the 'how' of the effect rather than the effect itself.

I'm totally with you here. Although I've found paradoxically that as you really internalise a particular technical aspect of something, it becomes easier to put the technicals to one side and just enjoy it.

Totally off-topic example: when i first saw Venetian Snares play all I could hear was '1-2-3-4-5-6-7, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7..' After a few times it just sounded like really fucking hard gabba [in a good way].

gumdrops

weirdly im listening to the new richie hawtin xlr8r mix from their website and thinking not only is quite a bit of it dubstep/techno/basic channel sounding but quite a bit of it could work in this thread, if it were maybe a bit less well produced. its pretty good in any case. i wouldnt mind hearing more techno like this in more sets. edit - hawtin is a seriously good dj isnt he? but then this is techno. this is what a good mix should be like imo. peaks and troughs, builds and dips in momentum, not just a randomly bashed out selection of tracks (though a good selection of tracks bashed out is good too).

Last edited:

old dad

Hey guys, new here. Really into a lot of the stuff you're talking about. From what I've seen can't seem to find a thread just for people that are producing, but thought I'd share one of my first tracks. I know the drums aren't all that but would like some feedback so here goes.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
weirdly im listening to the new richie hawtin xlr8r mix from their website and thinking not only is quite a bit of it dubstep/techno/basic channel sounding but quite a bit of it could work in this thread, if it were maybe a bit less well produced. its pretty good in any case. i wouldnt mind hearing more techno like this in more sets. edit - hawtin is a seriously good dj isnt he? but then this is techno. this is what a good mix should be like imo. peaks and troughs, builds and dips in momentum, not just a randomly bashed out selection of tracks (though a good selection of tracks bashed out is good too).

For a split second I thought they'd mislabelled the Mala mix. :p

The Plastikman mix reminded me of Shackleton. His mixes in particular. It's got that same rolling, hypnotic feel to it. Feels more like one evolving piece rather than a mix of individual tracks.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
Hey guys, new here. Really into a lot of the stuff you're talking about. From what I've seen can't seem to find a thread just for people that are producing, but thought I'd share one of my first tracks. I know the drums aren't all that but would like some feedback so here goes.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

hey man, try these threads...

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?6349-Producer-Talk

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?11694-Dissensus-Raw-Productions

nice track doe :)

Ory

warp drive
yeah that's from the marcus nasty + mosca guest show.

kinda boring 4x4 garage, that. wouldn't have raised any eyebrows in 1995 so why would it be interesting now?

gumdrops

that bassline that kicks in half way is from an old garage/grime (by geeneus?) track that everyone knows but i cant remember the name of right now. but yeah it sounds just like an old garage tune. not a weedy or overfly serious/heavy version of an old garage tune either which i think makes it diff to a lot of post-dubstep nu-garage. i think i like it for that reason. i used to like shantie but he gets tiring.

alex

Do not read this.
You took the words out of my mouth, it’s better than the majority of the future play-it-safage. It’s club music at the end of the day, don’t think it’s trying or is meant to be groundbreaking?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
The new Bok Bok EP is a bit of a grower for me. Obviously influenced by classic grime but doing sometnig new with that sort of sound in a 2011 type context, so it's all good. TRACKS GOTTA GET MADE

There are loads of tunes getting made with the grime palette around 130 at the moment, loads. Far more interesting to me than a lot of the so called post dubstep stuff as well but well it would be wouldn't it.

Really like these two at the moment-
http://www.soundcloud.com/funky-walton/aggy/

Among loads of others that aren't on soundcloud/youtube/i can't be bothered looking for.

Few more in this mix I did (not trying to spam, just an example)-
http://www.mixcloud.com/slackk/dont-watch-that-tv

Last edited:

gumdrops

its just a straight up nu-garage/house thing, rather than doing 'future garage' or the dubstep version of 2step. i admit that ive not paid much attn to mosca before (i prob know his tracks, just havent sought them out), but hey, its just plain good, if nothing new.

the bok bok ep is interesting. hyperpass is like kode 9 synths (which i kind of hate now)/techno with a kind of old aggy grime riff underneath, reminder is apprently based on an old grime track and it does sound very similar to old youngstar but i cant place it exactly. anyone know? some of it is just like wiley/sinogrime stuff but the old synth sounds and the hi hats make it a lot like old house (which i like). silo pass is most straight grime one to my mind (pretty obvious he just copied about 3-4 diff tracks), but ruins it with the bit in the middle. seems like 2 different tunes stuck into one. thats the weakest track on there imo. be interesting to see if he incorporates the grime influence into his tracks a bit more organically later on.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

How long do you guys think until somebody makes "Dark Funky"? I pulled out the Marcus Nasty 1Xtra mix not too long ago, and some of those tunes were so perfect... but by comparison, I browse through this thread and the Funky thread and nobody's really upping the stakes...

You'd figure it's been what, a year and a half since that point? Wonder why everyone's so intent to get smoother.