daddek

How long do you guys think until somebody makes "Dark Funky"? I pulled out the Marcus Nasty 1Xtra mix not too long ago, and some of those tunes were so perfect... but by comparison, I browse through this thread and the Funky thread and nobody's really upping the stakes...

You'd figure it's been what, a year and a half since that point? Wonder why everyone's so intent to get smoother.

DVA's been doing this for a while no? Or was that just a phase. tbh i dont really pay much attention to funky, just because of this samey smoothness.

daddek

question of how dark, if u mean like a more abstracted & abrasive version of funky, then yeh im surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Funky is definitely reiterating itself at this point, they seem to have said what they wanted to say. Good time for someone to taint it, destabilize it.

Benny Bunter

How long do you guys think until somebody makes "Dark Funky"? I pulled out the Marcus Nasty 1Xtra mix not too long ago, and some of those tunes were so perfect... but by comparison, I browse through this thread and the Funky thread and nobody's really upping the stakes...

You'd figure it's been what, a year and a half since that point? Wonder why everyone's so intent to get smoother.

Depends what you mean by dark funky. There's been loads of moody stuff, though perhaps not full blown 'darkside' in the sense of old 4 hero kinda stuff. Which tunes from the Marcus 1extra mix were you thinking of?

For me a lot of the tribal roller type funky from people like LR Groove, Murdz 86, some Devine UK stuff has a very 'dread' atmosphere. And the heavier end of Ill Blu or DJ Eastwood tunes are quite punishing. Not sure this is what you're getting at though...

e/y

the main vocal sample is more than a little annoying, I think. as are the kids' voices. alright overall, I suppose.

that review though...

edit/also: I like FACT, check it daily along with RA, LWE and this place. their mixes are great and often the reviews are v. good - I read Andrew Ryce's piece on Andy Stott's new Modern Love EP 2 or 3 times. but sometimes they have some real wtf masterpieces. a recent one that particularly stuck in my mind was a review of Shed's Head High single.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

@ddadek; Eh. I've always felt that when DVA roughs it up, he gets a little too... dubsteppy. Remember when XLR8R was trying to push "Funkstep"? Yeah. Kinda like how Cooly G is more techy house than funky house at times.

@Benny B; I can't say what tunes in particular made me stand up, I actually would need to listen again and take notes with a tracklist. But I'll check all of those suggestions over, maybe there's something I've missed.

On the subject of the Jamie XX single; review is crap. As for the song, Hey Jamie, Burial called, he wants you to successfully hop off his dick, so he can make this new album. That Scratcha quote hit the nail dead on.

I have a love/hate vibe about Jamie XX. I always feel like if he produced The xx record the way he produced his Fact Mix, that album would've been 1000x times better (and I really liked that album!); but when he does his solo stuff, some of it is really, irritatingly... indie boy.

Also, I do appreciate steel pans in a song. Everything else about this was stupid though, and if he weren't Jamie XX, nobody'd care.

Ory

warp drive
re: jamie xx

wtf is this fluffy twee shit

can music get any weaker than this?

Last edited:

Webstarr

really not feeling that jamie xx tune or much of his stuff for that matter, struggle to see what the hype is about

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
also to those hating on Fact Magazine. all of the trolling in the world won't make tom lea respond. Juanroberto tried it, he made fun of his clothes and his face but he brushed it off like just another burial copying mp3 sent for review at Fact.

Blackdown, Mosdan and Slackk are the best targets

:p:p:p