gumdrops

ok so how did the 'streets' lose their grip on the vanguard? im still confused. though i do know funky and grime dont have a hold on me like they used to. id like to know what geeneus thinks about this. ask him blackdown, you prob have his number. send him a text.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wondering about the influence american hip-hop/RNB has on UK hardcore/'nuum/road styles... Fair to say that jungle was hugely influenced by hip-hop (use of breaks). UK garage of course came from US garage but also Timbaland's rhythms/slinkiness. And grime (WOULD it be fair to say?) was influenced by crunk - certainly ''Boy In Da Corner'' has very crunk-ish moments. UK funky wasn't really influenced by hip-hop, more US house... And now there's Road Rap, which is a 'straight' lift of American hip-hop styles.

The UK 'urban' scene generally takes its cues from the US - even the trance-grime that has exploded in the charts is basically a slightly reworked imitation of anyone from Black Eyed Peas to Akon/T-Pain etc., innit?

Is there a big lex luger influence in Road Rap slackkk? Seems to me that that 'trap' style - pounding 808s, machine-gun hi hats, ominous synths etc. - could be translated into a dance style, or at least have an influence on it (or would it just amount to a break-less form of dark jungle?).

Nowadays you'd expect that influence to filter down to a couple of tunes by a 'post=dubstep'' producer, create a tiny off-shoot etc. Back to the idea that there's no cohesion or concentration of style in the post-dubstep scene/world. Is this true? I saw a DJ recently playing what I assume to be Swamp 81/influenced bits, and there was a fairly cohesive and consistent sound (seemed a bit boring to me, mind you dubstep probably seemed incredibly boring to most people).

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
In that EL-B video he said every rapper in south London had passed though his studio and every one was doing hiphop, that was three years ago I think. Logical progression from Grime I suppose but if funky is the dancefloor end of things, that's the one I'll watch.

Who are the Djs to watch in road rap or is it completely mc lead.
Is there a Slimzee?

Phaedo

Nowadays you'd expect that influence to filter down to a couple of tunes by a 'post=dubstep'' producer, create a tiny off-shoot etc. Back to the idea that there's no cohesion or concentration of style in the post-dubstep scene/world. Is this true? I saw a DJ recently playing what I assume to be Swamp 81/influenced bits, and there was a fairly cohesive and consistent sound (seemed a bit boring to me, mind you dubstep probably seemed incredibly boring to most people).

Loefah/Swamp 81 is definitely one of the only DJ's/labels to have properly cohesive sets/releases. I think thats what appeals to some people but also why other people find that whole thing quite boring.

daddek

Nowadays you'd expect that influence to filter down to a couple of tunes by a 'post=dubstep'' producer,

Girl Unit, Zomby, Lunice & Kuedo have done vaguely trap influenced stuff. people tend to read such patterns as being derived from dubstep tho, following their expectations. lots of similar people are playing luger and araabmuzik productions in their sets, it is exerting influence.

There's a huge trap influence in road rap. its worth stating that that 808 hat rush style existed for a long while pre luger. he just became the most famous and influential exponent of it.

Last edited:

Damien

SX sounds the most trap influenced to me

funny cos kids round here into the latest trap-influenced post-dubstep whatever think the influence comes from El-B for some reason

but then again there are a lot of DJ's round these parts that play a load of future garage yet hate anything with a hint of champagne to it or with a vocal which isn't Blakerised, which is immensely frustrating, being faced with a wall of po-faced faux-garage rip offs every time I go out

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's a huge trap influence in road rap. its worth stating that that 808 hat rush style existed for a long while pre luger. he just became the most famous and influential exponent of it.

[CraigDavidvoice]Can you fill me i-ha-in?[/CraigDavidvoice]

I'd like to know how/when/who-through it came about. I assume ppl like Shawty Redd, Zaytoven and earlier ppl like Mannie Fresh...? Was Lex's innovation (if any) to strip away the more prominent layers of synth melody/harmony that you get in, say, Shawty Redd's beats for Young Jeezy? Or played up the heavy-metal bombast of it?

daddek

oh i cant be categorical about it you'd probably know more about the production credits than me. but that 808 trap style has been around for years hasnt it, yeh like shawty redd gucci mane productions.
lex's signature trap style was the dense snare rush fills and the overall doom intensity.. super fast snare rushes and doomy-strings had all been done before but lex came to own those devices as his, by doing them so well, and repeating that formula unfailingly.

Damien

I'm sure the main thing Lex brought to the table (which has been discussed on here) is the uber-clipping, obviously drum distortion has been used before but not in this context (as far as I am aware)

gumdrops

luger is amazing but yeah hes in the lineage of all the crunk/trap producers of the past 5-6 years really. i think the reason this stuff hasnt taken on the role other previous american trends/styles did is maybe cos its pretty underground really. yeah some grime producers and road rap guys no doubt know who luger is but really unless youre listening to semtex or westwood or a bit of a music nerd, you prob more likely know nicki minaj than waka flocka. another reason why post dubstep guys know about new sounds so much quicker than say, funky producers, cos theyre out there looking for this stuff. the way US music in the past has influenced UK producers is through it just being in the air. the problem is that the good/interesting US stuff that would otherwise be dominant isnt really in the air anymore. which sucks basically, cos id love to hear uk producers coming up with their own mutated versions (good though it can be, road rap doesnt really count, theyre just doing for southern beats what ukhh producers do for sampled stuff). also, luger is just one mere person. im not sure american black music really has that many new ideas that it has produced on a populist level since the mid 00s perhaps - unless you count all the trance rap/trance'n'b songs.

Last edited:

gumdrops

dipset and clipse dont rap about the trap though, they just rap about dealing drugs in general, its not specifically tied in with the imagery/language of 'the trap'