rrrivero

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and my apologies for not furthering the 'trap' conversation as I've not an inkling of what it's about, but the recent Nguzunguzu EP (it was released in July already, but I was in Africa), which probably falls somewhere within the boundaries of this thread, is pretty fucking sweet I would say.

Funky thread was going on about halfstep crossovers, I think this is something like that

Damien

wtf is "TRAP"?

someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the trap is like the street corner or whatever where drug deals are carried out

Trap rap could be defined as music made to compliment such situations

Although as said I wouldn't classify the Clipse as trap rap even though all the rapped about was selling coke (before they got crap)

CrowleyHead

*puts on monocle*

The traditional "TRAP" is in fact a suburban-style residence in a poor community, generally found in the south, refurbished to serve as both a home and a drug-dealing center in the community.

Basically, the 'trap house' is like a little shack where someone's cooking the crack in the kitchen, selling it to the fiends who arrive in the house, and living there. The Clipse never actually spoke about the trap because seeing as they're actually from The Bronx they've never seen a trap. Fam-Lay's Rock N Roll video has him living out of a trap though. Also, Dipset, being from Harlem, have no idea what a trap is either.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T86aeRZ1jQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ay4QVSn1Tpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
[CraigDavidvoice]Can you fill me i-ha-in?[/CraigDavidvoice]

I'd like to know how/when/who-through it came about. I assume ppl like Shawty Redd, Zaytoven and earlier ppl like Mannie Fresh...?

Snare roll drum pitch was done first by Paul C on Ultramagnetic Mcs 'Give the Drummer Some', 1988, hence the 'change my pitch up/smack my bitch up' that the Prodigy sampled. Mantronix was also using snare rolls bigtime but in a different way. The pitch doesn't go up in the way that you're talking about it, but it was definitely the first time we heard a roll from a sample.

I dunno who first did it in the South though, in the way we know it now. Probably Mannie.

Last edited:

rrrivero

New Walton EP. It's grimey, it's funky, it's housey, I don't know where it falls really but I have a bit of a lower end spasm whenever I listen to aggy. Ungghhh

CrowleyHead

The snare rolls are actually Shawty Redd tricks. It's a simple little fruity loops trick.

Either he or Toomp are the originators of the trap rap sound. It's debatable because Redd is so synth driven, whereas Toomp occasionally dips into sampling. Zaytoven's been producing since '02 as well, so he COULD VERY WELL be the originator too.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Just listened through 'Carrier'. Not keen on 'Trust' and 'Bonafide' but the rest of the tracks are wicked.

'Let You' and '2Hearts' are my pick of the bunch.

Phaedo

Listening to this Sully LP again. The groove on Encona. :D

Scram is amazing too, I feel the tracks are the best where he focuses more on the rhythms and bass. That said though, some of the synths and melodies are really nice.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Dunno if this fits in here but fuck it, it's great. Dem Hunger and Thunderloops were on NTS last night. It was good.

SecondLine

Sully LP is pretty nice, maybe I'm a bit of a melodics nazi but a lot of the more tuneful stuff sounds quite sappy to me. But yeah It's Your Love, Encona etc. are great