UK GENERAL ELECTION THURSDAY MAY 6th 2010

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It was much more exciting than this when Obama got in. :(

Seriously, I can't remember an election with a heavier general air of public cynicism about it. Not without reason, of course.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
So call me stupid, but I've been to a few websites and I still can't figure out who won.

Did anybody win? Labour has the most seats, right?

This is all very confusing.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
oh we've only just started the counting of the votes. by around breakfast East Coast Time Friday we should know an awful lot more.

Robinson loses Belfast East. wow. is this just because of the personal issues? DUP vote in North Antrim about as fucked on the swings as Lab in Houghton and Sunderland South.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So call me stupid, but I've been to a few websites and I still can't figure out who won.

Did anybody win? Labour has the most seats, right?

This is all very confusing.

Um, they've only called ten seats so far. The polls closed three hours ago.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Ah I see. You guys actually count votes before calling a winner! Imagine that...

We just let the newspeople take exit poles and then project the numbers through some kind of model.

STN

sou'wester
Ah, but we have fewer votes to count as we don't bother actually letting people into the polling stations

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Ah I see. You guys actually count votes before calling a winner! Imagine that...

We just let the newspeople take exit poles and then project the numbers through some kind of model.

oh we have all sorts of silly polls too :)

but yeah in about literally twelve hours time from time of this post, things should be much, much clearer. (though if the Conservatives don't do as well as they would like to do, it may be the weekend and there'll be some horse trading going on.)

LOL@ STN! i was impressed w the quiet, patient way in which some chap from Sheffield explained his beef w the situation in Hallam. just saw him on ITV.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Baroness Phwoar-Si, silver-haired charmer Paddy, and stentorian Kinnock, it's the top-shelf card for Paxman at the moment...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the Governator's Twitter said:
Just called @davidcameron to congratulate him on the victory. Even though results aren't in we know the Conservatives had a great day

:rolleyes:

another + 10% swing in an English seat (admittedly Blair's old one and who likes him) for the Tories.

early seats really showing up how the Tories are an English party...

crackerjack

:rolleyes:

another + 10% swing in an English seat (admittedly Blair's old one and who likes him) for the Tories.

early seats really showing up how the Tories are an English party...

I'm really not bothered by huge swings to Cons in very safe Lab seats. The Brum seat was a disaster. Hhave the Cons had any other really impressive wins? Battersea, Basildon...we knew they were going.

Still think it's a Con majority mind, just haven't seen much evidence where it really matters.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Wonder was there any polls taken of those who didnt get in. Who will lose out ?

i noticed John Reid say anecdotally that Tory voters tend to vote earlier, and Lab voters later, but he would say that. (and of course no mention of voters of any other party.)

Sheffield Hallam is certainly LD territory, i think, Mcr Withington is LD (a solid local Labour challenge has been in evidence too in recent weeks tbf), and i don't know about the other areas that have been reporting it, Brum Ladywood i think had probs (a very safe Lab seat) or was it Brum Edgbaston, and various places in Lpool, Leeds and Ldn?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Labour declares for Glasgow Central. No surprise there then. Overturning the Scottish by-election losses so dramatically was somewhat more surprising.
Think I'm going to watch this right to the end now, no sign of sleep coming on.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
02:18am: Nick Griffin concedes he has lost in Barking: “No, I think Margaret Hodge will hold the seat fairly comfortably which she was always likely to do, I’m not sure about second place.”