UK GENERAL ELECTION THURSDAY MAY 6th 2010

hucks

Your Message Here
Poplar and Limehouse still unanounced, dammit! :mad: If Galloway gets in I'm gonna feel sooo guilty for not voting for Alan Titch-, I mean Jim Fitzpatrick.

Yesterday I was all "Bollocks to tactical voting", but hey ho.

Surely Galloway stands no chance? It's the Tory or Jim F. He is a slimmer Titchmarsh, innee? Hadn't noticed that before.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
BNP w the fairly meagre 1.9% of the vote so far a definite positive takeaway.

i know Robinson had a bad time of it in Belfast East but i was expecting the DUP to maybe up to 10, that's another party the Tories go with. instead they have 8.

the three Greater Mcr seats that were Lib remain, and there are now two Gtr Mcr Tory seats (though that was to be expected in Bury North), up from one, pah... (oh and Phil Woolas' seat still up for grabs)

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
If the tories can't form an overall majority but are big enough to take on Lib + Lab, what's likely to happen? Will they be able to form a minority government with support from the 'regional' parties to get stuff through? I don't really know enough about the SNP, PC etc to know how happy they'd be to sign up to whatever the Tories want in exchange for some devolutionary concessions...

SNP are centre-left. I'd be very surprised if the Tories made any serious devolutionary concessions, they were against the creation of the Scottish Parliament so it'd be a major u-turn if they did

mms

sometimes
intereresting to note that conservatives will find it alot more difficult to get a coalition running cos of the amount of bad blood around. poplar and limehouse went to lib dems
london is so so different from the rest of the uk it seems.

john eden

male pale and stale
That was one of the places where polls closed before everyone got to vote, wasn't it? Do you know if there's an estimate of the number of people who got turned away?

Yeah and there were rumours of sit ins also.

Vague stuff I've picked up on twitter suggests it's a few hundred people. Which sounds like a lot but certainly the margins in Hackney North are much bigger than that - Diane Abbott's majority was 8,000 last time.

Be interesting if anyone was turned away in marginals...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah and there were rumours of sit ins also.

Vague stuff I've picked up on twitter suggests it's a few hundred people. Which sounds like a lot but certainly the margins in Hackney North are much bigger than that - Diane Abbott's majority was 8,000 last time.

Be interesting if anyone was turned away in marginals...

Friend of mine's postal vote for Broxtowe (W Nottingham, basically) didn't show up, and that went tory with a margin of about 200. He's fairly gutted, although at least it was Nick 'I Love ID Cards' Palmer that went rather than someone actually good.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
According to the Beeb, the Lib Dems have achieved 27% percent of the popular vote, but fill just 52 seats which is less than 8%.

Labour's wound up with 28% of the popular vote! Fucksake. How does a system that allows that represent the will of the people?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
23% is what I'm seeing for Lib Dem. But yeah, the difference in seats one is way out of proportion to the difference in percentages of the vote.
I'd like to see a move towards electoral reform being made a part of any deals that are hammered out between the parties now, but in my heart I doubt it will happen.

crackerjack

Labour didn't just win Poplar, they reamed 'em. Hard to believe the Tories were ever odds-on. Thought the Labour people there seemed quite confident when I was down there on Saturday.

Galloway didn't even show for the declaration, scummy little demagogic cunt that he is.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
SNP are centre-left. I'd be very surprised if the Tories made any serious devolutionary concessions, they were against the creation of the Scottish Parliament so it'd be a major u-turn if they did

yes definitely you'd think?!

@massrock, re density, did you see early last night one of the BBC people (either Maitlis or Vine) did something w a computer graphic that sort of showed a half-way workable answer to your density query? i forget now so i'm afraid less than useless response! though granted at the top end of density the major urban areas are fairly safely Lab and they are of course the most dense. (sorry to speak the obvious.)

London remains a bit more Tory than the other major provincial cities it seems.

chuffed for Ali in Bow!

massrock

@Massrock, re density, did you see early last night one of the BBC people (either Maitlis or Vine) did something w a computer graphic that sort of showed a half-way workable answer to your density query?
I kept expecting Jeremy Vine to turn into Lawnmower Man so I was a bit distracted.

hucks

Your Message Here
can i do a self-plug http://fivedials.com/fivedials

i didn't get paid for it so it feels less cheeky.. 3000 words of (ahem) reportage on the tories attempts to win poplar and limehouse.

I liked this, good read. Poplar itself (ie the bit near Poplar DLR station) is the weirdest place in London, imo. One half Blade Runner, one half Minder (Geroge Cole original, natch). Must absolutely do your head in to grow up there.

I can't really see how the Tories ever thought they would win there, and, reading that peice by Dan, they never really seemed to have an idea. If it weren't for Respect, they wouldn'thave got anywhere near Fitzpatrick.

Also, more good news! Barnbrook has lost his seat on B&D council. Hats off to Barking!