UK GENERAL ELECTION THURSDAY MAY 6th 2010

vimothy

yurp
Wow:

4.23pm: If you divide the number of votes each party received by the number of seats they won (as things stand now), you get these figures:

Conservatives: 35,021
Labour: 33,338
Liberal Democrat: 119,397

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Replying to whoever it was that said "Tower Hamlets politics is weird, and shit" - I have to say, I voted "No" on the referendum on whether to have a 'mayor' for TH almost without hesitation. I think it'd just add another layer of bureaucracy, expense, potential corruption and general stupidity. Any Towerz boys here vote "Yes", perchance? I'd be interested to know what you think about this.

In other election news, I read that a BNP local council candidate has been chucked out of a pub in Croydon after a female supporter tossed him off (or something, the report is predictably vague) in full view of everyone. Apparently he was recently found guilty of attacking a couple of ANL types last year.

They really are the classiest party, aren't they? :D

crackerjack

Replying to whoever it was that said "Tower Hamlets politics is weird, and shit" - I have to say, I voted "No" on the referendum on whether to have a 'mayor' for TH almost without hesitation. I think it'd just add another layer of bureaucracy, expense, potential corruption and general stupidity. Any Towerz boys here vote "Yes", perchance? I'd be interested to know what you think about this.

I voted 'no', though for different reasons - I'm not sure it would create extra bureaucracy, it would just allow the mayor to act as president, bypassing the council and creating his own administration. This is fine in somewhere the size of London, where people pay attention to what's happening. Less so in a borough council. Oh, and Respect and the IFE are the prime movers behind it, so that's an automatic no. Though I fear it will pass.

jimitheexploder

I live in the late constituency, Thirsk/Malton. We don't get to vote for another three weeks or so. Strange vibes around here. I'm use to a disconected vibe anyway, since I live out in the sticks but its amped up due to the election hype. You usualy get your say on the day and feel part of it all no matter what. But now its posponed, all the results are in apart from ours. Everyone is wondering what is going to go down with the hung parlement. We are too but we have the feeling that we're still yet to join in, but in the back of our minds we're thinkin that its all going to be decided before we even get to vote, I mean three weeks is a long time, we'll have a new PM before we get a say at this point. Its pretty strange. Its a bouns that I can just chill and vote later though, no cues and gettin turned away here, we've got weeks haha.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I live in the late constituency, Thirsk/Malton. We don't get to vote for another three weeks or so. Strange vibes around here. I'm use to a disconected vibe anyway, since I live out in the sticks but its amped up due to the election hype. You usualy get your say on the day and feel part of it all no matter what. But now its posponed, all the results are in apart from ours. Everyone is wondering what is going to go down with the hung parlement. We are too but we have the feeling that we're still yet to join in, but in the back of our minds we're thinkin that its all going to be decided before we even get to vote, I mean three weeks is a long time, we'll have a new PM before we get a say at this point. Its pretty strange. Its a bouns that I can just chill and vote later though, no cues and gettin turned away here, we've got weeks haha.

yes i can't imagine what the vibe must be like in Thirsk, must be random. i gather the poor soul died a fortnight ago though i must admit i only started to hear about it on the day of Farage's escape...

...great use of a Chomsky quote there from Hari swears, nice one. very, very true.

don_quixote

Trent End
those wasted votes in full...

total no. of wasted votes by party:
lib dem 5,596,089
labour 3,600,427
con 3,529,549
others 2,941,927

15 million disenfranchised voters.

on the plus side, half a million bnp slips in the bin

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Is there any information avaialable on the turnout yet? I'd imagine that more people than usual voted, seeing as the overall result was by no means a foregone conclusion and that

scottdisco

rip this joint please
one of the many (caveat: many, many, which we could endlessly discuss if we want) interesting quirks is how well Labour did in Brum. obviously the large provincial cities in the midlands and north tend to be Labour areas throughout the conurbations (Labour reclaimed Liverpol from the Liberals) anyway (and Brum is no exception) but i believe there was actually an uptick in their share in many of that conurbation's seats.

this is interesting because for a start Birmingham borough council is the largest council in the UK by a mile and has had many upheavals recently thanks to a Lib Dem-Tory coalition under Mike Whitby taking over from Labour there.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
though granted Brum Edgbaston was an interesting seat. i see Brum Ladywood is one of three seats now represented by one of the first three women parliamentarians from a Muslim background.