Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

droid

With the caveat that my favourite clash involving a UK sound is probably the legendary Saxon vs Addies Bermuda 94 clash, and the fact that youve ruled out the #1 session.

Sir Coxsone vs Stereoclassic & Gemi Magic Dalston 1986
Saxon v Radics Birmingham 1983
Saxon v frontline v jamdown 1984
Saxon v Coxsone - London 1985
Saxon v Unity 82
Saxon vs Third World, New york 1985
Now Generation v Saxon Birmingham 1987 (revenge of jungleman)
Saxon v Ghettotone, Coliseum Suite, 1983 (Ghettotone no-show)
Coxsone vs Saxon vs Unity Reading 1987
The Burial of Volcano sound, Stonebridge 1987

And since there has to be a Shaka:

Jah Shaka vs Coxsone vs Stereograph London 1981

luka

Love you mate Buddha bless I promise to listen to all of these by the end of the next week

droid

Most of my clash listening over the last few years has been mid-late 80's JA stuff, and I dont have my archive handy, but I remember all of these being wicked.

droid

Volcano one is utter destruction, and the now generation is a rare example of Saxon getting buried. Third world in Brooklyn was their first toehold in the US.

Last edited:

droid

There's a killer late 80's Coxsone with supreme vibes from Tenor Fly and Daddy freddy as well. Maybe Coxsone vs Exodus?

droid

Best UK MC has to come out of reggae. In fact, Id say the best MC EVER must come from reggae. I dont think any other genre can match it for overall vocal quality, lyrics, inventiveness, flow and ability.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Have you noticed there's a UK hip hop voice? Its that sort of nasal, muted, whiney voice that yer Chester PS and Jehsty Bs have. You don't get it in grime. Is it just a convention, then? I guess a lot of road rappers e.g. use a similar voice/flow. Just that in grime you did used to get a lot of variety. I think this is a big problem I have with UK hip hop, alongside its Premier worshipping boring production. That miserable voice reciting poetry and going on about crushing up "the sensimilia" etc

luka

It's north London specific I was laughing about it with my mate the other day. Chalk farm man dem lol

luka

Very forced unnatural voices. pinched yelping noises. North London is the worst. Chalk farm white rapper production line for 20 years. The same rapper. A standardised product
Edit: must note the voice is Camden/Islington boroughs specific

Last edited:

luka

Fliptrix - Mind Travelling (OFFICIAL VIDEO) (Prod…: everyone on high focus lol

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ah so it IS a regional thing? Interesting. I remember ppl taking shots at Piff Gang for being North London posh boys pretending to be road.

Its a very earnest voice isn't it? Its the voice of someone insisting upon their own credibility. Its funny cos the lyrics which tend towards portentousness and metaphor upon metaphor is very "try hard" too.

Not entirely doing this side of things down cos I used to enjoy Chester P raps and perhaps I still would if I listened to them now.

luka

Task Force - Butterfly Concerto: they didn't invent the voice but definitely popularised these type of lyrics. Can hear the pep luv influence

luka

THIS IS A WHOLE RECORD LABEL AND SCENE. ITS SOLVENT. THERE IS AN AUDIENCE AND INFRASTRCTURE. CONTEMPLATE THAT Dr Syntax & Tom Caruana - My House:

luka

Krate Krusaders & Dr Syntax - On The Rise: imagine having this face and thinking my career choice is gunna be rapper and everyone laughs and calls you a cunt then you actually do it? What does that do to your psychological state?