Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

luka

on the subject of road rap mc that sound actually genuinely retarded or brain damaged i want to have a littl moan about this new breed of sort of shouty angry rappers that half align themselves with road rap while simultaneously putting themselves above it. its mostly from watching some english frank videos in the weekend. im not into it. they are 'better' rappers in a lot of ways but i sort of hate them a lot. mic righteous i put in this category too. there are others but i am trying to avoid them. i prfer the retards.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Dashed on your doorstep like Dando

This is one of my favourite UK rap tunes, so many quotables and the beat is a good imitation of the NY grimey loop style.

luka

i am addresseing this issue in detail in the youtube playlist to end all playlists

luka

if you go right to the end of this playlist you will find some important documents from the birth of UK MC culture. it is a labour of love and an epochal acheivement.

Last edited:

trilliam

can tell i would've hated to b around here during road raps peak years

to answer the thread clearly the best uk mc ever is ghetto from risky roadz 2 to fuck radio times

rubberdingyrapids

im gonna say dizzee, from 2002 to around 2004. not that long a stretch but hey, who cares. kills everyone else really.

but also -
trim
dirty goodz
tempz
mighty mo
DEE (its weird though, ive never really loved him, just thought he was good)

millions more but im trying to be selective

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I'm so glad nobody in England under the age of 30 will ever mistake Skibadee as being a talented MC. My nation's pervasive influence with rap and the ascension of grime has saved you all as a people.

luka

he is talented but you have to hear him a)in the correct context and b) over good music and since drum and bass has been shit since 1995 thats not gunna happen
or maybe you had to be there.....

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I think its because I've seen so much of him over my time trying to learn UK Music and its like, he's your staple musical extra. "Radio 1Xtra presents three guys who are genuinely still popular, and SKIBADEE."

I also hate Das-EFX type people who just throw nonsensical syllables out there to overextend words without purpose. So there's that.

luka

He made sense as a kind of endpoint to a phase of development
No one tried to take it any further

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Drum N Bass MCing is a very specific thing, with not much room for lyrical ingenuity or depth. When someone tries to do that you get MC SP :p

I remember Skibadee did this cover of Mungo Jerry 'In The Summertime' it got absolutely rinsed on Drum N Bass Arena, was very amusing.

Of course Luka will strongly disagree but I like DNB sets from around that period where Ed Rush and Optical et al were doing their business with perpetual double-time bibbidy-bibbidy MCing courtesy of Skibadee and that Bassman/Trigga style of MCing where its like ''See a bad man... In tha corner!''

I mean I guess this is where grime came from in part - MCs marking themselves out with silly noises and distinctive rhythms/flows rather than lyrical 'sophistication'. Obviously Wiley/D Double and others MCd over jungle/DNB before they did grime.