Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's that trap music thing. That whole "I'm a gangster, not a rapper" shtick. The less thought and effort you put into your music implies that it is only a side hustle to your main hustle of selling coke or whatever. Made popular by Young Jeezy, Gucci Mane, and similar artists from that whole wave of rappers out of the South. I imagine these guys have "dropped the ball" because they are inspired by that style.

This is what I was saying about road rap, didn't see your comment before. I love Gucci and Jeezy though. Maybe I have an anti-UK-MC prejudice.

continuum

smugpolice
Bassline MCs

Trilla
Slick Don
Asher
Pantha
Kase
Saji B
MC Bonez
Deadly
Murkz
Tez Kid
Riekz
SG
K Dot
MnT
Bomma B
Recneps
J Star

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I think Giggs deserves to be in this thread. I'm a little shocked at his absence tbh. If you asked me over a year ago, I probably would've disagreed too, but the point here is that I was wrong.

Oh, nevermind, I can see Luka included him. Good man.

petergunn

plywood violin
I think Giggs deserves to be in this thread. I'm a little shocked at his absence tbh. If you asked me over a year ago, I probably would've disagreed too, but the point here is that I was wrong.

Oh, nevermind, I can see Luka included him. Good man.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBcUoMpRAn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

giggs sounds like a retard, and not like a cool retard like Gucci Mane (BITCH I MIGHT BE)...

i get that in the UK he is that guy currently, but he does not translate for me... in general UK mc's sound terrible when they have a superstrong US influence on their flow... only Dizzee sounds good to me as US influenced MC...

Bunj

Yung Meth deserves a claim outta the Road Rap guys. He's got that style that keeps me listening.

But realistically Wiley or shut up haha

DannyL

Wild Horses
With road rap, is there a pirate radio connection with any of the MCs? I get the sense that the best of grime MCs are so good because of years of rehearsal on air. Perhaps the absence of that kind of testing ground is why some of these guys are a bit lame?

I don't know the music well enough to completley dismiss it, be but have been underwhelmed with what I've heard via this place to say the least.

Benny Bunter

With road rap, is there a pirate radio connection with any of the MCs? I get the sense that the best of grime MCs are so good because of years of rehearsal on air. Perhaps the absence of that kind of testing ground is why some of these guys are a bit lame?

Thats what I've always thought about road rap too. Some of these lot should organise a radio station. There seems to be a lack of known DJs pushing these sounds too (would love to be proved wrong here). There's no equivalent of say, a Mak 10 or Slimzee in the scene. But then, the backing tracks aren't really conducive to having that type of DJ set.

All that said, US Hip Hop has had a long tradition of DJing skills (maybe not so much nowadays), so maybe this kind of development would elevate road rap from where it is now. Radio stations+riddims+DJs+MCs = the most exciting and complete experience for London-music for me.

CrowleyHead

Giggs has great potential though. When I first heard him, I was dismissive, but he's got a great voice. Lyrics are a little 'eh', but he can get better (look at Rick Ross's evolution). If he learns how to swing a bit more, maybe gets beats that are less Lugerish and maybe a bit less aggro, he could peak. Unfortunately, his big problem is he's listening to trap rap and that style's not so in as it was years ago...

Big H totally embodies this. A lot of UK MC's have totally rigid flows, which doesn't work on trap-rap like it does on grime.

It's not a pirate driven scene so there's no need for that sort of DJ. the hosts sort out distribution & pressing for the most part, that's why they're involved. But to say they need pirates goes against everything the scene's came up on really.

It's fine how it is, I think.

Benny Bunter

Yeah I think you're right, its not really that sort of scene and its pointless to wish it was something else other than what it is. But I suppose thats probably the main reason I haven't connected with it as much as I did with grime. Like, I loved Boy in da corner as a record, but I really really fell in love with Grime when I started downloading sets off grimetapes. it just added a whole extra dimension to the whole thing. And Danny had a point about how radio allows MCs to hone their skills. Practice hours innit.

gumdrops

yeah the best you could hope for is a load of these guys getting on semtex or westwoods show and murdering a load of instrumentals for half an hour or something. they might be from london, but road rap guys only really care about hip hop, the pirates dont mean much to them. its about records first, freestyling second. the live element doesnt really come into it.

luka

did no-one mention Tony Rotten yet?

yeah me, look how long that list is! i put him down as taipanic but maybe i misremembered his name. black twang. dettwork southeast.!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Forgot about this one. I think 'Witness' and 'It's Murda' by Klash are my two favourite UKHH tunes.

muser

I reckon Lewis Parker did some alright stuff aswell, noone mention London Posse? (aside from Rodney P)

I think Daddy Freddy deserves a mention just for getting on Record Breakers.