Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Will go into it, but I'll be brief because I have to run at this moment.... Shabazz himself once personally told me that he spat a verse to one of the records on "36 Chambers" that you all know and love, left the booth, and watched Raekwon enter the booth and re-recite his verse, word for word, and because it sounded better, he let it slide because he assumed that the Clan would 'look out for him'.

''C.R.E.A.M.''?

CrowleyHead

''C.R.E.A.M.''?

I honestly can't recall, it would've have to have been... 5-6 years ago. At the time I was more or less distracted by the fact that he was in extensive rapper regalia mode in the parking lot of Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, NY, with maybe four little daughters running around him.

The big problem with rap, is people are so willing to believe this auteur-driven thing, that there isn't a consideration of the idea that people are coalescing around the 'talent'. But especially if the artists are considered as monumental and insular as Wu-Tang, and rightfully so to some degree. But if it's so easy to recognize how say... Jay-Z spent the relevant part of his career leeching off various others personas and energies (we've already established that "Dead Presidents" is actually a Camp Lo song, we can all recognize when he was cribbing Young Chris' flow wholesale). How is it so inconceivable that such a group that's already organized like a feudal regime with the various sub-units, might benefit from the 'stars' borrowing ideas from their little minions that might've never had a chance if it'd been left alone in the hands of such 'plebians'.

There's also a great deal of legal treachery. For example, the Wu-Tang 'W' is actually affiliated with the Staten Island gang 'GP Wu', who were around before Rza had moved to Staten Island, which is how you get someone like Shyheim who is actually NOT a Wu-Tang member, having the iconography that everyone outside of Staten Island recognizes through Wu-Tang, and subsequently having his label ordered to pay to have those images that Rza and Divine wisely copyrighted. A lot of the people on some of those Wu-Tang compilations, or distant affiliations, had careers that were independent of Wu, some even preceding (Shabazz the Disciple, being from Red Hook in Brooklyn, was obviously not a direct affiliate, and actually had a career prior to his Gravediggaz verse). But due to the overwhelming nature of Wu-Tang as an industry success, it subsequently began to envelope and consume a lot of people.

It's the ridiculous thing about this big glad-handing session of Wu-Tang 20 years later... They continuously go back to the same cast, ask the same questions. Nobody's trying to go into the back catalog, the info that's more or less revealed to people who become devoted fans into this sub-genre. When you do that though, it really demystifies Wu-Tang quite a bit.

CrowleyHead

"Ghostwritten or Ghost written?"

One of the subtitles of my book I'll write after I attempt the Three Six Mafia biography.

There's a whole slew of projected subtitles:

"A lifetime in being the only White New Yorker who thinks "Eskimo" is better than "Illmatic"."
"That Fucking Guy"
"2.whatever decades of hatred"
"B, I know what I'm talking about."
"Those J-Dilla Fan Fatwahs boy..."
"Blowing up the Grammys with C4"

griftert

Amazing find... so weird to hear this stuff in relatively high fidelity at the right speed.

On the Wu...I'm sure I've read Ghostface interviews where he says basically 'yeah everyone takes a bit here and there and chips in together'. Other people alleging he just rips them off with no credit. You could say he's curating some of other people's stuff. I don't think of Ghostface any less for it really.

Speaking of underrated late wu affiliate stuff... anyone ever get onto Grandmasters with GZA and Muggs? The last great wu album probably.

And the more I listen to RZA the more I think he's the best hip hop producer. A flawlessly sustained style.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

and how good is this (not in those six hours of houston as far as i can see)? insane flow.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Crowleyhead!

Some rapper I've never heard of (not unsurprising) who is (apparently) a Wu-tang affiliate just sliced his cock off and jumped out of a window!

Some interesting facts I read:

1) He was not on drugs when he did this.

2) He was hanging out with North Star (presumably one half of Black Nights of the North Star, who delivered two superb tracks on Wu Tang Killa Bees Vol 1, but I guess split like Killarmy and Sunz of Man did back in 95; as I hinted, I haven't been paying attention for ten years)

3) Wu Tang quickly disowned this weirdo who cut his cock off and jumped out of a window not on drugs

So, therefore, thus, ergo., i.e., what the fuck?

Is his new single any good?

Can't see Kanye doing this for sales, to be honest ("tbh").

P.S. This could be a really sad story, so I apologise for my tone. Fucking hell, it has to be sad story, right? Otherwise what kind of story is it? He cut his cock off and jumped out of a window!

craner

Beast of Burden
Crowleyhead!

Thing about Black Nights of the North Star was that they had a rapper who was clearly a sub-60 Second Assassin rapper, who was great but himself a sub-ODB rapper. What was his name? And was he involved in the cock-cutting-off-jumping-out-of-a-window tragic incident?

CrowleyHead

Black Knights of the Northstar are basically two different crews, Black Knights and Northstar. The guy in infamy, Christ Bearer is in Northstar. The two groups were going to be merged by Rza when he started living in LA, but he didn't understand that the two are from rival gangs and so they wouldn't go with it.

I remember one North Star album and it was really good. Prior to this incident, Christ Bearer also injured himself jumping from atop a speaker tower.

I actually know people who had business dealings with this guy so it's like... The levels of agony of seeing random strangers making fun of him is so vivid.

craner

Beast of Burden
Crowleyhead!

So when Black Nights of the North Star appeared with those two great tracks on Killer Bees 1, was that the two rival gang groups being jammed together by RZA? (I had no idea he was living in LA in '96 or 7 or 8.) If so, it's kind of a shame, because they had some synergy, and Black Nights of the North Star was a fantastic, OTT, mysterious name for a Wu Tang Crew. I was always quite intrigued by them. I remember some people not liking their style, saying things like, "but they're just talking bollocks, saying any old shit that comes into their head, sounds esoteric and vaguely rhymes." I actually quite liked that. And who are you to say it makes no sense, Mr. fucking Expert? Like you know anything about it! (Not you, Crowley, but my imaginary antagonist.)

It's a horrific story, by the way. I regret poking fun at it. I did almost immediately.

CrowleyHead

Yeah it's exactly the case. RZA by then was trying even back then to break into Hollywood, so he was really interested in Black Knights' member Holocaust/Warcloud and Northstar's Christbearer, both whom have really abstract styles. There's also members of Black Knights getting interviewed in the recent reportage about Christbearer who were witnesses which, doesn't make absolute sense since these guys have notoriously never gotten along for long... But who knows.

Also, Holocaust's a longtime sufferer from mental illness after Wu-Tang got him addicted to hard drugs for a brief time. RZA left a really destructive wake in LA.

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember Holocaust being really good on the first Bobby Digital album. I suppose this was part of the attempt to break into Hollywood, because there was a b-movie attached to the album, wasn't there?