Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Culture As Advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    the pioneering mumble rap tune.

gleefully post-human and superficial. chorus like a jingle

Yeah, but i could also market it as a 'digital emo' tune.

That does take much of the post-human and futurist rhetoric away doesn't it? would really like crowl to chip in and explain how rap supplanted rock in the states. truth be told I'm insulated here we're still implacable enemies, the rock music fans live in a mythological world to me. i don't mean like, fuckin ash ra tempel or henry cow boffin rock but like my chemical romance and bullet for my arsecrack.

That's why i am into chief keef because it's a deconstruction of that alt rock orientation, I'm sure I'm bolloxing it all up though.

It's weird, rock sensibilities being integrated into rap music should really have my intellectual Paul Gilroy-black-atlantic juices firing like mad. ultimate reclamation of a once proudly black genre through globalised diaspora.

Yet years upon years of encountering white rock fans has given me a visceral disgust for most of the mainstream rock cannon. otherwise I'm still interested in iranian fuzz or slammin nuggets from Benin and Togo. and as everyone knows I like heavy, dark shit. Why is that? I have no idea.

I was gonna say lollipop is a 'digital alt rock tune' but digital emo just seems to be more catchy.

Maybe the battle we have to fight is between digital emoism and digital hardcorism.
    Last edited by thirdform; 24-05-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey
    You might as well be ashamed of an erection

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

take this as the metaphorical provocation it is intended to be rather than racial/gender essentialism.

Listen to the singing. it's white isn't it? Listen to the rapping, it's nu metal isn't it? Isn't it?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

"digital emo" succinctly describes so much of the music i wasted my time on in high school and shit my peers r still fixated on. a few are open about it being emo as well like in 'soundclown raps' it's not at all covert/disavowed
    "my heartstrings are autistic" - treelethargy
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    White European – 66

White European – 62
    so if i'm reading this right it was always white kids fucking with other white kids at chart pop nights and black kids at hardcore nights getting policed instead
    i fuckn knew it

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    "digital emo" succinctly describes so much of the music i wasted my time on in high school and shit my peers r still fixated on. a few are open about it being emo as well like in 'soundclown raps' it's not at all covert/disavowed
    the drone/improv bullshit i do is also DEFINITELY 'digital emo' but whenever i try to make something Hardcore idk it feels like it falls flat. i dont have the reference points. cut my teeth on 'alt rock'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

so if i'm reading this right it was always white kids fucking with other white kids at chart pop nights and black kids at hardcore nights getting policed instead
    i fuckn knew it
    yes. of course. but our guardian experts were always like re grime: it's not the lyrics, it's a depiction of real life! which was absolu-tely irrelevant. there are many death metal songs that describe raping women in excruciatingly painstaking detail but because a black boy says bitch the whole world pounces on him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

This is actually posthuman.

Sounds as hood as anything on the M6. Real cyberpunk. More location dependent than microgenre synthwave stuff which I suppose comes into it. Always has done to an extent unless you get the old overriding cultural styles.

I've always felt that stuff like Peep and even Citgo sounded like Blink 182.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Pretty sure Lil Wayne is either touring with or co-headlining with Blink 182 soon in the US.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

does anyone listen to blink182 on dissensus and enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post

student bars, tasteless surrey lads not even feigning to be gangsta, frigid humourless straight birds, 5 for a double, 13 doubles in a night, sit at home alone the next day with a bottle of ouzo in hand whilst puking up,, man this shit brings back all the memories that ruined my life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: