forclosure

Its hanging around with that lot why im so openly hostile and negative to punk,before i could just keep it in but now its like i dont wanna go near any leather jacket nonsense

one of maybe 3 black people in a diy space down south bermondsy around people who thought they could escape their dying provincial town mates by moving away from them but it seems all their friends had the exact same idea and it was to move to either london or brighton

People who thought the best way to "let their freak flag fly" was getting the 1960s George harrison bowl cut

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Its hanging around with that lot why im so openly hostile and negative to punk,before i could just keep it in but now its like i dont wanna go near any leather jacket "bringing the sound of 77" shit again

You like metal though! that's even worse. that's like posh racism. i can't deal with that. i just threaten to punch the old 77 bloke and he quickly shuts up. you can't do that with posh racists they deceive themselves into thinking they're liberals.

forclosure

i havent listened to metal in ages outside of the new Sunn album dont get it twisted i get it, i only got into metal when i was 16 cause i wanted to listen to something different and what i thought was unexpected that and fuckin road rap did nothing for me at the time

you say that about them being posh racists alot of the ones ive run into are some of the most troglodyte Yakubian "aint Tenacious D hilarious" people ive had the misfortune to be around

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
When I was at uni briefly the people i used to hang out were metalheads, there was once this bird in the pub when i was drinking shite grolsch with her bf telling me about how great pitchfork were and my bloody valentine, it felt very queasy to me that someone would be that dedicated to a music publication.

forclosure

jesus lord the ones i was hanging around were into all the mid 2000s tripe that youd probably expect smug metalhead teenagers to like Bullet for my valentine,Bring me the horizon ALOT of Metallica problem was if i said any of it was shit my mate Jake (its always Jake isnt it) would flip his shit cause he didnt get his way i had to dig deeper to find the stuff i liked

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
So it was either anna and her clique from um where the fuck was it now? somerset

Or Mel and her crew from devil hills. I choose the metal crew. I don't regret it but it did mean that I went to more techno things than were probably good for my studies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But there was a lad there called Kit, I always really liked him coss he was into power violence and grindcore and that, we were drinking in the pub once and he was telling me how he was revisiting a lot of UK 82 and how that started to make him realise how much he actually hated most trad metal.

Last I heard he was into electric Miles and that. Top lad, big into his art tattum as well. would definitely hang out with him again.

CrowleyHead

But you're right. Both of them cheerfully admit not listening to rap per se and not caring about rap audiences. We're all English after all.

Blissblogger's lived in the US roughly the same amount of time I've been alive, at this point we've traded nationalities if y'all are gonna keep claiming you adopted me. Thus he has no excuse to say things on his blog like "When Schoolboy Q talks about 'hoover street' does he mean the Hoover bass of Reese?"

other_life

bioconfused
aah fuck i wrote something kinda long this morning but didn't post it bc we were on the road, literally just lost it, talking about what i saw in migos in 2013. need to step up my game. bc maybe what i was getting at has already been said better.
i just felt migos were PLAYFUL, their flow had predecessors that critics acknowledged and they'd acknowledge but what was novel was in a recombinatory way (fuck that's so inane) what am i trying to say.
when people here call them ambient exotica in a derisive way they're not wrong but they don't need to be derisive, something like 'bando' is very much so ambient exotica, spencer clark nrg even... those lilting flutes.
you just got the sense from 2011-2014 that these kids were game for anything and really stoked to be doing what they were doing. they paired this triplet memphis flow with blown out minimal-maximal, making the minimal maximal via compression... return to luxury/luxury weapon synth/sampler work, bass and drums like GLASS AND METAL IN EVERY DIRECTION.
but, again, that influence has been digested. it's no longer 'the future', it's now the present. call me crazy but i maybe hear more migos or barter 6 era young thug in uk drill than i hear chi drill in it?
fuck im so sorry im kinda hammered rn, awful canned margarita

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
hardly anyone obsessively listens to music on here anymore apart from me and crowl, though with me practically nothing from 2019. for all the effort gone into writing up this stuff about moaning about adhd and that people could really break the spotify habit by getting a decent media player and a copy of slsk but they just want affectations. allow that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
for all of luka's evangelical zeal for the next dialectical step, something i support, people want music in their comfort zone, whatever that greile marcus bloke said about radio. so it's not even an issue between rockism and poptimism. poptimism has won, it's just that as critics (even if amateur ones) there is a narritive to follow, yet people despite laying claim to this default back to their rockist narritives or pop narritives constructed over 20 years ago.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
alright sorry. I was being pretty dismissive there. i just think rather than moaning about spotify and internet overload why don't we just have a lists thread where we just post lists, from books, old fashioned discogs/rym ones, ones from mags, etc etc? that way you actually have to make an effort to go listen to the music rather than a sounds of spotify algorithmically curated one.

I mean I don't want to speak ill of the dead and those not around anymore but like I was reading that has hh been aesthetically brutalised thread and there's some well dodgy stuff in there.

Actually i just found corpse on spotify! i can see all his playlists now, surely there's a way to do a group sharing thing on a platform somehow? would be sick rather than one person exclusively.

I might be a full time spotify convert if there are good ways of using it.

Last edited: