Club Music in 2019

firefinga

My birthdate is 3rd of November 1979 - Meaning I am 40 years old later this year. If I went to a club these days I might be considered as drug squad or whatever - I tend to avoid such potentially emberassing situations. In reality I was out clubbing the last time in 2008.

It's not that I am not interested in club music per se, it's just I am too old for the actual environment club music is being produced for. Disgraceful Ageing is one of the features of these Spenglerian times we live in. I am refusing to be part of that for sure.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You bring up an interesting point, which is the increased age of many of the leading figures in club music now. The old guard, who will be on lineups forever, and whoever they sanction.

Whether or not they're more *politically* conservative, they're by and large going to be more *musically* conservative.

To generalise, the older you get the less rebellious energy and naive optimism you have.

(Also brings up the issue of professionalisation. DJing as a stable career. Stability something to be sought out.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Occurred to me earlier that if I had been around for the proper rave scene I don't know if I'd have had the balls to go to one, let alone put one on. I get the feeling there are a lot of people like me involved in the club scene these days. Nice polite wouldn't say boo to a goose boys.

yeh, it's your kind that ruined clubbing for me, selfish twats (not you obviously corpse, you're a gentleman and take the shit i throw at you remorselessly) rather than he smart phone which is just an appendage. if people were really into the music they would put their smart phones away because the music as its own phenomenological experience would just over power that. but even myself when a lukewarm 'bass music' dj was on I'd always be glancing at my watch thinking oh god, please can something more ecstatic or harder or punishing come on, not this again.

firefinga

BTW, the thing that astonished me a lot regarding the EDM hype (from a few years back, mostly 2012) also was that many if not most of the main figures there were actually relatively old, Skrillex being the exception. David Guetta, Steve Aoki, that Dutch guy whos name I can't remember right now were well into their 40s in 2012 already.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I wouldn't necessarily say todays club music is more middle class (though it can often be that) more that it's the ultimate endpoint of ambient music as a phenomenon. this is why I've always prefered ambient with some disruptive or tense elements.

luka

yeh, it's your kind that ruined clubbing for me, selfish twats (not you obviously corpse, you're a gentleman and take the shit i throw at you remorselessly) rather than he smart phone which is just an appendage. if people were really into the music they would put their smart phones away because the music as its own phenomenological experience would just over power that. but even myself when a lukewarm 'bass music' dj was on I'd always be glancing at my watch thinking oh god, please can something more ecstatic or harder or punishing come on, not this again.

I thought the camera point was good. The extension of surveillance into the club. The impossibility of letting go within the panopticon.

luka

Im a little uncomfortable with what firefinga is saying because I'm not convinced that the 'old' are expected to stop enjoying themselves in other cultures. I think we're being robbed.

firefinga

Im a little uncomfortable with what firefinga is saying because I'm not convinced that the 'old' are expected to stop enjoying themselves in other cultures. I think we're being robbed.

Enjoying themselves doesn't mean making fools of themselves. Youth can get away with certain behavious bc people say -well, they'r young - but when some 40something acts like it, it's a bit sad and off-putting tbh.

firefinga

And yes. smart phones are a big turn off. People taking selfies endlessly. The music + club experience can't be that good if you need to fiddel around your smart phone all the time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I thought the camera point was good. The extension of surveillance into the club. The impossibility of letting go within the panopticon.

sure sure. but like i said upthread this is an interchangeable consumer. It's a crowd that has been ultimately domesticated to the needs of the panopticon. It isn't a threat. Corpse, if he wouldn't mind me being so crude, is not a threat to the panopticon per se, it's just that he remembers times gone by.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I had a queer person of colour telling me it was all good under the rubric of queer safety. now if that was a queer who was london bred and part of the outlawed crowd of clubbing they would not be so flippant about ID scanners in clubs keeping your data.

firefinga

(Also brings up the issue of professionalisation. DJing as a stable career. Stability something to be sought out.)

Well, the Berlin techno scene has made themselves that, in a way. Berghain, Hardwax record store. (Minimal)Techno. Has built a "Berlin Techno" Scene that is like a time capsule for the 30 or rather 40+ year olds. They will go on like this, relatively unchanged, for anpother two decades I suppose. Their last musical influence somewhat from outside was minimal Dubstep in the late 2000s. That scene has become their own reenactment-act.

luka

Dancing and enjoying music is making a fool of yourself? You're doing it all wrong man

It's a bizarre attitude. As if anyone over the age of 30 has to lock themselves in a dark room for fear their withered form would terrify and appall the young. Like when Buddha exited his secluded compound to see an elderly man for the first time. The horror!

luka

Dancing and enjoying music is making a fool of yourself? You're doing it all wrong man

why not stop having sex now as well? It looks disgusting when old people are at it. Horrible thought. Totally undignified. All sweaty and gross with hair sprouting out their ears.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
why not stop having sex now as well? It looks disgusting when old people are at it. Horrible thought. Totally undignified. All sweaty and gross with hair sprouting out their ears.

Certainly don't do it in public.

luka

If people were saying well I don't like clubs anymore they're noisy and sweaty and confusing all well and good but if it's a sacrifice you feel constrained to make on the altar of 'dignity' or 'age appropriate behaviour' or whatever then clearly it's a problem