Woebot on funky house

S

simon silverdollar

OTM, shudder. I feel like the only person within a hundred miles who likes it. It's all country, hip-hop, and classic rock. In that order.

sounds like the american every-man isn't doing the right sort of drugs...

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Actually, I think shudder, nomos and I are all Canadians, but that's splitting hairs I suppose. English, welsh, scotish, irish, australian; you're all British, right?:p

Seriously though, the drug of choice here is BC bud, even though we're on the east coast. Not exactly conducive to appreciating anything up-tempo. Still, I've made Massive Attack fans out of most of my friends.

viktorvaughn

Is it me or does the UK lead the way with recreational drug use in relation to experiencing music?! May be way off the mark and would welcome correction, but that's always the impression i have got, i am well interested in the relationship and the importance or non-importance of taking drugs as part of a enjoying music. Maybe a new thread beckons...

S

simon silverdollar

Is it me or does the UK lead the way with recreational drug use in relation to experiencing music?! May be way off the mark and would welcome correction, but that's always the impression i have got, i am well interested in the relationship and the importance or non-importance of taking drugs as part of a enjoying music. Maybe a new thread beckons...

i dunno, in Fabric it's the german and italian people who are really going for it! they seem to love their drugs...

straight

wings cru
it is a bit of a touchy subject but you can definitely tell at our nights if theres some good dealers in the house, it goes off in a much more spectacular fashion

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Talking to some friends a while ago, apparently a bunch of people are experimenting with bashment-flavoured funky house now. I've not heard any as yet, but I'll be really interested to.
I have a fantasy of whole nights of huge, boshing, dirty new tunes that sound a bit like updated versions of "I Like To Move It" .

Tim F

"Bashment flavoured funky house"

This sounds like my long-hoped-for New Horizons revival - this would make sense as a fusion of funky house, post-garage sounds and minimal production tricks (producers like Eulberg and especially Jona often inadvertantly steal a lot of ideas from New Horizons, only with Jona I don't think it's inadvertant).

straight

wings cru
im resident visuals geek for tramp and micron up ere in manchester. both midweekers but a healthy population of clued up students, layabouts and wreckheads means theres usually a lot of gurnin goin on

S

simon silverdollar

I have a fantasy of whole nights of huge, boshing, dirty new tunes that sound a bit like updated versions of "I Like To Move It" .

me too.
i can't really understand why there is loads of stuff like that; surely the demand is there?

Noah Baby Food

What about Dredstock - "Pump (Dress It)"? Anyone remember that? Fucking fierce Todd Terry track from '94-odd, bomb noises and a ragga vocal. I used to cane that track. Worth a couple of quid now. Rudeboy house music, excellent stuff. Where is Todd Terry? I could listen to that dude all day.

Can we think of more classic rude-boy house tracks, a la "I Like To Move It" and "Pump", them kinda vibes? I'm going to have a think about this. There is "Fire When Ready" by GwitdadoubleE (think that's correct) but that's old hardcore really so doesn't count.

In my first raving peak (1990-1992), there were certain tracks that were funky but very ruff and abrasive and always blew the joint up in the midst of a US garage set from someone like Femi B, Terry Francis or Rhythm Doctor. They had a certain vibe about them...including:

Blake Baxter - "Sexuality"
Chris Cuerva (sp?) - "Hip Hop" (MAW mix)
Bizarre Inc - "Raise Me"
33 1/3 Queen - "Searchin'" (on Nu Groove...sick)

...you know what I mean? that kinda RUFFNESS. sounded great amongst stuff like "Follow Me" by Aly-Us, and "My Family Depends On Me", and "Holding On" by Michael Watford. Fuck, I'm getting misty eyes. Anyone feel me here?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I don't know a whole lot about funky house. In edinburgh the scene has always been associated with guys in pink t shirts and blond mullets, bland sounding house and live bongos. But from friends who live in london i hear it's alot better there. Are there any good mixes/podcast series kicking about? I've been thinking that there might be some parallels here between funky and bassline house (see the ukg v ukg thread.) But i'm not really clued up on funky so anything anybody can do to educate me would be greatly received.

dominic

Beast of Burden
In my first raving peak (1990-1992), there were certain tracks that were funky but very ruff and abrasive and always blew the joint up in the midst of a US garage set from someone like Femi B, Terry Francis or Rhythm Doctor. They had a certain vibe about them...including:

Bizarre Inc - "Raise Me"

...you know what I mean? that kinda RUFFNESS. sounded great amongst stuff like "Follow Me" by Aly-Us, and "My Family Depends On Me", and "Holding On" by Michael Watford. Fuck, I'm getting misty eyes. Anyone feel me here?

not sure how "abrasive," but similar to what you mention =

MK -- Burning
PM Dawn -- Watcher's Point of View (todd terry underground mix)
Roc + Kato -- Jungle Kisses

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
What about Dredstock - "Pump (Dress It)"? Anyone remember that? Fucking fierce Todd Terry track from '94-odd, bomb noises and a ragga vocal. I used to cane that track. Worth a couple of quid now. Rudeboy house music, excellent stuff. Where is Todd Terry? I could listen to that dude all day.

Can we think of more classic rude-boy house tracks, a la "I Like To Move It" and "Pump", them kinda vibes? I'm going to have a think about this. There is "Fire When Ready" by GwitdadoubleE (think that's correct) but that's old hardcore really so doesn't count.

Bizarre Inc - "Raise Me"

a couple off the top of my head on the ragga side of things
The Jungle Men featuring D.J Ri-yad -Wine your Waist
The Boody Headz Ep -White label

elgato

I just dont know
"Bashment flavoured funky house"

a fusion of funky house, post-garage sounds and minimal production tricks

have you guys heard much by the 'fidget' house lot? dave taylor, trevor loveys, herve, jesse rose etc. to me their stuff sounds a lot like you describe... born out of the deep house scene, developing into something very very different... chunky, fat, energetic rhythms drawing from garage, dancehall, hip-hop, baile funk etc, vocal snippets all over it, shouty vocal tracks, massive basslines, dancefloor philosophy

a lot of average stuff coming out of it, but when it hits the spot i reckon it might be of interest for those looking for this sound

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Damn beat me to it, i was gonna talk about jesse rose, i love alot of that stuff, tracks like the solid groove (switch) mix of that mattafix track are absolutely amazing.... anyone know if there any mixes from any of thes guys online? I tried searching on that deep house page that came up in the larry heard thread but nada.

elgato

I just dont know
i dont actually know of any online downloads, there is a half-decent one on onthebrinkrecordings myspace page, but it isnt all that. i got a very very good switch mixmag cd from a mate, thats a good one to track down (i cant upload at the moment as i lack internet at home), it represents the weirder end of things but its completely sick

sinden also had a free online mix too, although it goes much broader than house. he apparently has a residency on Kiss although i've never chased it up. his mix of Mary J Blige with Dave Taylor is a joke, so good. dont think its ever coming out though :/

i understand that jesse rose's new mix cd on get physical is excellent, representing a techier edge though