Woebot on funky house

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
''all 17 pages of it, it just seems to be people going on about how they want to know what funky house is (funky house is to classic 80s house as dire straights are to little richard, only dire straights probably like little richard, i doubt anyone making funky house has ever heard house music made before the mid 90s) and yet when anyone actually says what it is (blandness with a beat) they get ignored.''

Read this post back to yourself and contemplate the depth of your own stupidity.

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
funky house is to classic 80s house as dire straights are to little richard, only dire straights probably like little richard, i doubt anyone making funky house has ever heard house music made before the mid 90s

This is a pretty good description if you replace «making funky house» with «listening to funky house», and remember that this probably goes for most genres. It’s also worth noting that filesharing probably has made people more aware of the past rather than less. When I browse around DC++ folders it seems like most everyone has a couple of classic house compilations laying around—along with other oldies stuff. Although, whether they actually listen to them is hard to tell, naturally.

mms

sometimes
Reynolds descriptions of funky house

reynolds describing funky house as euro-tableau and the end of the line for the numm, from the electro housey side of funky house that woebot gave him.
this got mr thinking that surely this is because the urban face has now changed much more to include eastern european new immigrants who grew up with western european techno and house. esp west german techno. These are people who have come over after schooling to work here, Polish, Lithuanians, Russians and so on. On the train i get back from work the Eastern european labourers always have ring tones with either tiesto style tronze or funky housey electro stuff, a lithuanian girl i work with goes to funky house things.
The numm has grown and expanded rather than finished it seems, but the thing has possiblty changed from exerting an identity to taking one up that is already there and kind of represents a post work good-time culture rather than awol.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
what really alarms me is that, given how massive and cross-cultures the church of house reaches, is there any evidence that the 'nuum audience is actually listening to the same brand of funky house woebot is?

because to say "this is funky house" therefore "it's now 'nuum" which is "now at the end of the line" is a very shakey argument, to say the least.

mms

sometimes
what really alarms me is that, given how massive and cross-cultures the church of house reaches, is there any evidence that the 'nuum audience is actually listening to the same brand of funky house woebot is?

because to say "this is funky house" therefore "it's now 'nuum" which is "now at the end of the line" is a very shakey argument, to say the least.

yeah as i said b4 i would agree with that to some extent, but then i would also say that the broad church probably allows for different 'brands' to mix and cross quite easily, dj to do club to club, i mean compared to jungle in 2003, house has 20 or more years of history, the popularity of funky house now is probably a result of their being so many strains to pick and choose and blend, that there is currently a meshwork rather than a hierachy, which is one of the ingredients of the numm in terms of production and creative propulsion.

Guybrush

Dittohead
This great mix by Philippe Zdar from Cassius/Motorbass often sounds quite funky house to me, in a faux-new french touch way.

I actually kind of liked the Cassius album—even that weirdo Pharrell song about saving mother earth. That’s a nice mix. «Le flamboyant Philippe Zdar», eh. :)

Have you heard of these "tecktonic" suburbian kids dancing madly to funky house? The moves are more or less reminiscent of poppin and jit, but with a sporty vogueing edge, minus the sexual ambiguity.

No, tell us more. Any videos?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Techtonik

Put in a YouTube search for Techtonik

Did that, watched a few crappy ones, found this:

And its pretty cool. Looks a LOT like the typical raver dancing here in the midwest thats been going on since the 90s, only the moves seem to have that "pop n lock" feel a tad bit more that i ascribe to the more electro feel of this modern incarnation of house. But basically, its the same thing, that a lot of ravers here called "flow" or "fluid" or something equally annoying.

viktorvaughn

NG and Superior having a debate on Rinse now about the nature of house - is it still house music? How come there is violence? What is the new name Dirtypop, ghettohouse etc. etc.

Hmm..MCs on house, the role of the host, interesting!

Jokes parody of grime MC 'i wanna cut yr throat and do yr mum'.

Last edited:

borderpolice

a lithuanian girl i work with goes to funky house things.

Where are the funky house clubs? Can you ask your colleague? Here in east london, they seem to have gone AWOL. Everything is dominated by T-Bar, Secresundaze kind of minimal-techno stuff w/o vocals.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Didn't know that, thanks Freakaholic. Btw is jumpstyle popular in the US?

Never heard of this. at all. however, ive done some youtube searching, and from what i can tell, its very coordinated, choreographed, and containing only certain leg movements. is that the case or do the people that make youtube videos of this have no originality?

otherwise, it seems like some sort of weird irish-step-dancing-inspired version of drunken jacking. jacking being what kids do to older, rave-style house (hard banging acid house of the mid 90s, like armen van helden, pre-electro traxx, some green velvet). basically, jacking invloved much more upper body thrashing with the same amount of leg kick out, but a ton less choreographing. ..... cant seem to find any on youtube

Edit: this whole discussion just became a lot more interesting now that i found this thread for 08/05.

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Edit: this whole discussion just became a lot more interesting now that i found this thread for 08/05.

Yeah, it’s interesting how attitudes pendulate. Funny thing is, the genre’s sonic make-up actually has not changed all that much since 2005; it’s just one of those hivemind u-turns that occur now and then, for reasons or another.

But give it another 6 months and there'll be some other mutation. grunge house ...
Phones!
or maybe a more refined version of the Fatboyslim/Pebble garage rock thing ...
Justice!

The R&S stuff still moves me, but it's reggae/house

«Get Down»! (All right, stretching it a bit here. :cool:)

elgato

I just dont know
feeling this one a lot, thanks for sharing. must have been amazing for those hazy chemically-enhanced attendees at 9 in the morning, so warm

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
no, i found it on the RWD>> forum. listening to that mix gave me exactly the same response deep house always has done: i like it for about three tunes and then it becomes soporific and i'm bored.

haha i quite like it, alot better than any electro house you hear out.