Woebot on funky house

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh i'm gonna buy that if i get some money in...this thread made me go back through my i tunes and "a bit patchy" by switch is so good...it sounds like the man has been listening to some really good garage...teh ryhthm is almost shackleton-esque and the bass is great. When did that switch mixmag cd come out do you know? I'd like to hear that. Mixmag had a big thing on jesse rose in last months issue. They were hyping him up alot but he was speaking alot of sense, saying that house producers need to widen their scope, he was saying that if hip hop producers are using all sorts of crazy eastern percussion then why shouldn't house producers? And the description of his party in Berlin sounded mad. I was in london a few weeks ago and found out on sunday that he'd been djing at fabric on the saturday, was pretty ugtted to have missed him.

elgato

I just dont know
the switch cd is this one http://www.discogs.com/release/648589

yeh jesse rose chats sense, definately. i think what he expresses accounts for a lot of what makes this lot so fresh... they seem to look at house from a totally different angle, one which probably has a lot more in common with house pioneers than their contemporaries

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
woah that's a great tracklist, will definitely have to track that mix down.

Yeh i like it how they seem to have a definite agenda of pushing things forward: I do like music that is trying to innovate. And that's my main concern about funky house - it might be unpretentious and fun to dance to, but is music like that worth lauding as something great? I can see where people might attack me here and don't get me wrong, if you look in the ukg thread you'll see me enthusing over bassline house which certainly isn't innovating. I guess it comes down to personal opinion: I think dubstep is higly innovative and i can imagine being alot more inspired to dance to dubstep than some of the bland house that i've heard in bars.

I guess though, I'm in danger of segregating music in my mind, into things that innovate and things that don't. And i'm not sure i want to do that, though I do understand both have their pros and cons.

elgato

I just dont know
what i do find refreshing though is that unlike dubstep it isnt a mantra, or for its own sake, i think its just cos they were bored of most other stuff, so they made something more interesting. and it just so happens that what they do innovates, smashes a dancefloor, and appeals to commercial heads in equal measure. slight tangent, but it also gives me massive satisfaction to see Switch remixing Mika and Robbie Williams, but pulling no punches, just doing his thing. he changed the game, but on his own terms

cos sometimes i feel that the whole fwd ideal carries the danger of turning into something in itself which stops the music from evolving, because its so self-aware...

Guybrush

Dittohead
Much as I like Switch and Sinden, they are the archetypical one-trick ponies. Great DJ tools, though. I think of them as the mid-noughties answer to Rhythm Masters or Sharp Boys, the latter, especially, of whom also remixed a fair share of confectionery (LeAnn Rimes! Vengaboys!!).

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh well i suppose that's the whole thing about innovating isn't it...become too focussed on it and it can lead to just being pretentious. But no this lot have got it down.

I dunno if i'd agree about switch being a one trick pony....he has his own style certainly but i don't think his remixes are too similar. Unlike south central, their remix of metronomy was really really good, but every other thing they've done follows exactly the same format with almost the same sounds...

elgato

I just dont know
Much as I like Switch and Sinden, they are the archetypical one-trick ponies. Great DJ tools, though. I think of them as the mid-noughties answer to Rhythm Masters or Sharp Boys, the latter, especially, of whom also remixed a fair share of confectionery (LeAnn Rimes! Vengaboys!!).

i see where you're coming from but i dont agree, he does bang out a lot of identikit stuff, which does irritate me a little (but its more that djs need to be more selective) but if you look past that, he has a lot of variety in his production i reckon, and over time his style has switched (lol) a number of times...

even just focusing on his most recent spell, contrast

This Is Sick
Just Jack Glory Days Remix
Red Hot
A Bit Patchy
Santogold - Creator / his production on M.I.A.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The other day I saw an advert for the Ministry Of Sound 'Funky House' compilation, and I can honestly say I've not heard such a load of vapid cheesy mass-produced twaddle for a long time. OK, I'm sure that's not the music you're all talking about here, and that merely for mentioning MoS on Dissensus I can probably expect to be taken out by a professional hitman on the way home tonight ;) but still. Just saying.

crackerjack

The other day I saw an advert for the Ministry Of Sound 'Funky House' compilation, and I can honestly say I've not heard such a load of vapid cheesy mass-produced twaddle for a long time. OK, I'm sure that's not the music you're all talking about here, and that merely for mentioning MoS on Dissensus I can probably expect to be taken out by a professional hitman on the way home tonight ;) but still. Just saying.

Count yerself lucky you weren't rounded up with the rest of them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6195914.stm

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They planned to take out MoS, Parliament and a football stadium? Hmmm...

*considers joining al-Qaeda*

Last edited:

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
If you're talking about this one, then you're right; the majority of it is awful stuff. Having said that, Armand van Helden's "NYC Beat" is deliciously retro and I love the bassline of that Pink Floyd redux (FYI the dub mix dispenses with the vocals entirely).

crackerjack

If you're talking about this one, then you're right; the majority of it is awful stuff. Having said that, Armand van Helden's "NYC Beat" is deliciously retro and I love the bassline of that Pink Floyd redux (FYI the dub mix dispenses with the vocals entirely).

Is that AvH Funky House rather than house music that's funky? If so, where do I join up?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just tend to stay well clear of anything described as 'house' except really old-fashioned (or preferably just old) weebly-squirbly acid house. That stuff's great. :)

crackerjack

I just tend to stay well clear of anything described as 'house' except really old-fashioned (or preferably just old) weebly-squirbly acid house. That stuff's great. :)

Well Armand's new LP touches on stuff from that era, if not actual honest-to-goodness acid squiggle. There's rip offs of Marshall Jefferson and Mariya in there, and tons of others. Now that I think of it, Acid Thunder might be in there too...

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
funky house is just music for clubs that dictate a dresscode and are attended by people who have zero interest in music and just want something bland that sounds like what they are used to.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
funky house is just music for clubs that dictate a dresscode and are attended by people who have zero interest in music and just want something bland that sounds like what they are used to.
Thanks so much for your thought-prokoking input. I'll just add you to the list of haters then, shall I? Have you even read the preceding thread?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Thanks so much for your thought-prokoking input. I'll just add you to the list of haters then, shall I? Have you even read the preceding thread?

all 17 pages of it, it just seems to be people going on about how they want to know what funky house is (funky house is to classic 80s house as dire straights are to little richard, only dire straights probably like little richard, i doubt anyone making funky house has ever heard house music made before the mid 90s) and yet when anyone actually says what it is (blandness with a beat) they get ignored.

anyway, put me on the list of haters if you like, as i'd me mildly impressed if you actually had one.