London's margin clubs

IdleRich

IdleRich
I bought some from a Somali grocers and muched it. I'm not sure i did it for long enough though or in the correct manner. Produced a gentle pleasant feeling but i'd had a few wines at the time anyway!
That almost anticipated my next questions, where can I get it, is it readily available or if not is there a specific place (preferably in Hackney) where it can be purchased?

viktorvaughn

That almost anticipated my next questions, where can I get it, is it readily available or if not is there a specific place (preferably in Hackney) where it can be purchased?

Ha. I'm not in London, but i'm pretty sure grocers/corner shops will be a good bet. The guy i got mine of just had a big damp cardboard box under the counter. I think it was 5£ for a big bunch, can't really remember fully.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Ha. I'm not in London, but i'm pretty sure grocers/corner shops will be a good bet. The guy i got mine of just had a big damp cardboard box under the counter. I think it was 5£ for a big bunch, can't really remember fully.

i'm pretty sure the green grocer by Stockwell tube has some I think...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
is khat not quite addictive? i rmeember reading that alot of the soldiers in the somalian war(s) were addicted to it.

Is it like speed?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's 'worse than crack' if you believe the Daily Wail. :rolleyes:
A friend of mine tried it and said it gave him all the uncomfortable physical symptoms of speed - sweating, racing heart etc. - but with none of the enjoyable buzz. Sounds a bit crap, really.

It contains cathinone and methcathinone, which are chemically quite similar to speed.

viktorvaughn

I am pretty sure its fairly mild compared to your proper class As.

I always got the impression people basically sit around chewing it and shooting the breeze, like sharing a spliff with mates or popping down the local for a couple of pints. I hardly believe that that behaviour would be associated with a sleep-depriving, highly effective drug like speed.

Though having said that, i know some people do chew it all day long so perhaps they get really ramped up...

Wikipedia says - 'Khat is not a controlled substance in the United Kingdom. Because of this, and because of khat's short shelf life, the UK serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.

Khat is used by members of the Somali and Yemeni community (mainly men), which is concentrated in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Manchester and Sheffield. It is currently legal, although there are calls from some sections of the Somali community for it to be banned. In the UK, Cathine and Cathinone are Class C drugs. The plant Catha edulis is uncontrolled.'

Last edited:

sufi

lala
bigqatchew.jpg

:D :D :D :D
sufi & rewch get loaded
qat5.jpg

tom pr

we used to go to the salmon and ball next to bethnal green tube and dance on the tables to the DJ playing stuff like Shades Of Rhythm and Congress and Rozalla.
That's awesome. I find tales of what people used to get up to in my area really fascinating.

I've never been in the Salmon and Ball. There's such a contrast between the pubs on the Bethnal Green station side of Cambridge Heath Road and the ones closer to Well Street (The Lauriston, which used to be the Alexander, Royal Standard and Royal Inn, all within about five minutes of each other). Like the wimp I am, I'm always in the posher ones... ;)

Can't remember what other ones we used to go to... some nearer Hackney...

My first paid DJing was in the Halfway House on Hackney Rd, played rare groove, jazz funk etc, my mate had some house and techno, I think we got £10 or £20 plus a few beers.
We did it about twice as far as i can remember.

definately one to add to this list was where the love rave (7yearglitch) thing was held last night at some abandoned self storage depot in hackney wick. the rave itself was held in the basement, a massive space the size of a football pitch or so with arches and columns, speakers stacked all round, but only maybe 100 people at max, which was a shame. Was quite funny bumping into people coming off the number30 at hackney wick and getting completely lost with them trying to find the place - hackney wick is a real maze by night if you dont know it.
some splendid industrial sites/bus depot's, and a few clubs scattered amongst this wasteland - sanjeet's dance experience or something - very weird

i cant imagine how the east cross centre was ever viable in terms of getting the numbers in. if the rave had been held more centrally the audience would have been treble at least. still, a wonderful place - its a shame its all closing down tomorrow to make way for the olympics.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
i cant imagine how the east cross centre was ever viable in terms of getting the numbers in. if the rave had been held more centrally the audience would have been treble at least. still, a wonderful place - its a shame its all closing down tomorrow to make way for the olympics.

I used to do pirate radio in East Cross Centre!

gumdrops

not a 'margin' club exactly but i went to a great soca/dancehall night tonight in south london... werent any major tunes that made the place go off on a huge scale (only moderate ones) but it had a great atmosphere and the energy levels were hiiiigh. :) :) :)

I mentioned in the other thread about playing only 30 mins before having to give way to a more pushy/desperate DJ.... anyway what I didn't mention was the venue which was called Pier One on Kingsland High St in Dalston. The venue was amazing, proper UV lights and mirrors everywhere, in a basement, decent sound system. The sound guy was there and cool to chat to, he had a few thousand african and west indian CDs behind the decks. Unfortunately the monitor didn't work but he said he's have it sorted by next week... and he did that thing of leaning over and adjusting the EQ every time I put a tune on which got really annoying.
But still it was a great place, like cocktail (the tom cruise film) or something, and 80s teenager's imaginiation of what a nightclub should be.
Don't wear black though, the UV makes it look terrible.