London's margin clubs

Client Eastwood

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Not sure what's going on now with UK Dub stuff but there was a while when all the proper soundsystem events were pushed out of zone 1 and 2 and you had Shaka at places like Caribbean Edge in Tottenham (a social club, with carpet tiles etc) and Robert Tribulation in Acton (I think a warehouse space that he had his studio in).

I assume there are still big scenes for that stuff in Southall and Southend...

john eden

male pale and stale
Dan Hancox ended up in some office space that was allied to New Humanist magazine and it slowly dawned on him it used to be the weird club space on Cambridge Heath Road that you accessed via that industrial lift with a bouncer in.

john eden

male pale and stale
My hope with the lockdown stuff was that it would leave a load of empty places for people to squat or occupy for cheap but I don't think that has happened yet at all. Might be too early still but they are easing the restrictions soon, so we shall see.

There was that big rave in the railway arch in Hackney Central that got busted in the first lockdown.

I'm obviously not the person to ask about this though, lol.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've noticed that the lockdown has shaken things up in Lisbon - not so much in terms of venues, but it felt that there was a bit of a closed shop thing with a certain small group of DJs playing everywhere and booking their mates for everything but now, I'm not exactly sure why... well, it's to do with the lockdown I'm sure but I don't understand the exam mechanism, but somehow there seems to have been a relaxing of that stranglehold and you see a bigger variety of names on flyers and stuff. I've noticed that myself but I've heard other people saying it too lately.

forclosure

i think the restlessness is starting to hit me something fierce and i also wanna get further and further away from the RA industrial complex

sufi

lala
The building we were in before cambridge heath - development house in old st, was promptly opened up for a new years party soon as we all left- I have photos

It's still empty afaics
My hope with the lockdown stuff was that it would leave a load of empty places for people to squat or occupy for cheap but I don't think that has happened yet at all. Might be too early still but they are easing the restrictions soon, so we shall see.

There was that big rave in the railway arch in Hackney Central that got busted in the first lockdown.

I'm obviously not the person to ask about this though, lol.

Simon silverdollarcircle

Oh I remember that place. Bodyhammer used to be there.
Yeah some of the best raves I've ever been to there. In my hazy memory it felt a bit like someones front room? Like there were tellies and book shelves and stuff scattered around.

I guess the obvious south London equivalent was the arch down the bottom of cold harbour lane where world unknown used to be. Similar basic idea - semi legal venue where you could smoke and do drugs openly

Simon silverdollarcircle

i think the restlessness is starting to hit me something fierce and i also wanna get further and further away from the RA industrial complex
I'm not in London anymore but theres generally quite a bit of stuff going on around south bermondsey I think? The penarth st centre

Do the warehouses around mansion House still have raves on?

wektor

I'm not in London anymore but theres generally quite a bit of stuff going on around south bermondsey I think? The penarth st centre
Only two places that are around there that I'm aware of are Avalon Cafe and Ormside Projects, is there anything else?
It might need further investigation as the area does seem rather lively at night.

wektor

Venue MOT
yeh most of the past months have been spent between mot and ormside, up to the point that I feel a bit uptight if I go to a venue that's more central.
as a friend of mine recently said, I would not want to be on a dancefloor, surrounded by people who have paid over fifteen quid to be there